NFL playoff picks predictions and discussion

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I don't know or care enough to make any predictions, but here's my vote for the next iteration of the overtime rule:

In the regular season, a tie at the end of regulation time goes in the book as a tie. No overtime. In the playoffs, the fourth quarter continues, as if the clock had not expired, until one team scores, and that team advances.

There now.
I like your overtime rules. Regular season games should just end in ties. No harm there.
For playoffs where there can only be one winner it makes a lot of sense to continue to play rather than stop the game, flip a coin and kick off again. So KC/Buffalo - KC would have kicked off to Buffalo after scoring the game tying field goal because that's how normal play flows. You don't even need a clock. You run the normal play clocks but otherwise time doesn't matter - someone's got to score.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I predict I’m making crab and artichoke spread and probably Buffalo chicken nuggets from scratch. Less messy than wings. I predict I’m going to have beers but also a variety of bourbons, vodka, tequila and sotol. I’ll make my best friends drink sotol and half of them won’t like it. Tough. My house. I predict guacamole.
I predict the Falcons extend Matt Ryan this offseason in order to free cap space. That means objectively ATL won’t be in a playoff game for at least 4 years because Flowery Branch doesn’t understand the stat of yards is less important than the stat of 3rd down conversions.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like your overtime rules. Regular season games should just end in ties. No harm there.
For playoffs where there can only be one winner it makes a lot of sense to continue to play rather than stop the game, flip a coin and kick off again. So KC/Buffalo - KC would have kicked off to Buffalo after scoring the game tying field goal because that's how normal play flows. You don't even need a clock. You run the normal play clocks but otherwise time doesn't matter - someone's got to score.
Ties are stupid. Not an opinion. That’s objective. Ties mean the league doesn’t care, it means the teams don’t get rewarded for effort and most of all it means the league is not concerned with the fan base. It’s universally true that ties are a waste and the game should not have been scored in the first place.
As my only piece of evidence I direct your attention to the score board, its very existence is to document the winner. It’s ok for kids in kindergarten to have ties.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Ties are stupid. Not an opinion. That’s objective. Ties mean the league doesn’t care, it means the teams don’t get rewarded for effort and most of all it means the league is not concerned with the fan base. It’s universally true that ties are a waste and the game should not have been scored in the first place.
As my only piece of evidence I direct your attention to the score board, its very existence is to document the winner. It’s ok for kids in kindergarten to have ties.
I think you are aligned with the vast majority of NFL fans. For me, I don't care if an individual game is a tie because the only real game is the entire season. The ties all get broken in playoff qualification and seeding.
If we went to accepting ties we might lose the urgency at the end of the game and I would miss that.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hmmm. Aside from your forceful tone, what makes your declaration objectively true?
Objectively there is a singular function to a score board.
There is literally no reason for the existence of a scoreboard other than to keep score. It is an axiom.

Suppose you dropped to one knee and proposed to the person of your dreams and they say "YES!!! and Jason too, you guys are tied".

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
All seriousness aside, and objectivity too, it seems to me that overtime games are a problem for the teevee networks who provide much of the money to the league, because they screw up the program schedules, and they are trying to shorten the time it takes to settle ties. In baseball they have that runner-on-second-base thing. I like my tie idea for regular-season baseball, too, and put playoff games back the way they were. I'm sure teams would still fight to win--better for in-season stats and standings--and a tie might feel more like a victory for those fans whose teams otherwise would've lost. . . .

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Sofi and Allegiant are going to eclipse Jerry's world. They are truly next gen for viewing events.

Walking into SoFi for the Rolling Stones show a few months ago, I was reminded of the crowds filing into the Carousel arena in "Logan's Run" because of the look and feel of the stadium and the detached female voice reciting (IIRC) pandemic protocols over the PA on an endless loop.

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
All seriousness aside, and objectivity too, it seems to me that overtime games are a problem for the teevee networks who provide much of the money to the league, because they screw up the program schedules, and they are trying to shorten the time it takes to settle ties. In baseball they have that runner-on-second-base thing. I like my tie idea for regular-season baseball, too, and put playoff games back the way they were. I'm sure teams would still fight to win--better for in-season stats and standings--and a tie might feel more like a victory for those fans whose teams otherwise would've lost. . . .
Valid for sure. Aired events need to fit in a time allotment. That is quite possibly an explanation for the NFL OT rules.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The players union also prefers a shorter game - less chance of injury and wear and tear on the players.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Full disclosure, I'm fine with current NFL OT rules. But here's a thought:

It's a tie game, regulation has ended. One of the teams* gets a choice: you get the ball first at your own 5 yard line... or you can dictate that the other team starts at their own 10. Normal rules and sudden death from there, first team to score wins. (starting field position up for debate... I like the options above, but you could make it start from the 10 for either team, 15, whatever)

*any number of ways to pick the team who gets to choose. Coin flip. Could be the home team... or the visitor. Could be the team with most yards, most time of possession, etc.

For college... I think the college OT is super gimmicky, but I do find it entertaining. One thing I don't like about it, the offense starts too deep in the opponent's territory. So instead of starting at the 25 yard line, consider starting at the 35. When you start at the 25, you're already in very makeable FG range. Make them earn something! I would also consider this change... Don't allow first downs, you get four downs to score. Basically first and goal from the 25, if you leave the starting point there. The current format can equate to a lot of plays, which the NFL is trying to avoid and I think college should too. No first downs--you either attempt a FG or TD. (ok, you'd get a first down by penalty I guess)

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Full disclosure, I'm fine with current NFL OT rules. But here's a thought:

It's a tie game, regulation has ended. One of the teams* gets a choice: you get the ball first at your own 5 yard line... or you can dictate that the other team starts at their own 10. Normal rules and sudden death from there, first team to score wins. (starting field position up for debate... I like the options above, but you could make it start from the 10 for either team, 15, whatever)

*any number of ways to pick the team who gets to choose. Coin flip. Could be the home team... or the visitor. Could be the team with most yards, most time of possession, etc.

For college... I think the college OT is super gimmicky, but I do find it entertaining. One thing I don't like about it, the offense starts too deep in the opponent's territory. So instead of starting at the 25 yard line, consider starting at the 35. When you start at the 25, you're already in very makeable FG range. Make them earn something! I would also consider this change... Don't allow first downs, you get four downs to score. Basically first and goal from the 25, if you leave the starting point there. The current format can equate to a lot of plays, which the NFL is trying to avoid and I think college should too. No first downs--you either attempt a FG or TD. (ok, you'd get a first down by penalty I guess)
how about this!

the coin toss works the same, but beginning in ot, the teams get progressively smaller. The first series each team gets 11. Second series 10 (for both sides) then 9, then 8.... If they get to 6 at that point neither team is allowed to substitute (even for injury)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
how about this!

the coin toss works the same, but beginning in ot, the teams get progressively smaller. The first series each team gets 11. Second series 10 (for both sides) then 9, then 8.... If they get to 6 at that point neither team is allowed to substitute (even for injury)
How 'bout if they just have the coaches come out and punch each other out, last man standing, his team wins.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
With the current ridiculous 17 game schedule, I'm OK with ties and the current system. However, in the playoffs, where the last 9 of 11 OT games have been decided by a first-possession TD, the OT rules clearly need to change. I would suggest going back to old college rule where each team gets possession at the opponents 25 yd line - with each team guaranteed equal number possessions until someone wins.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
How about we settle it with field goals. Start with a 45 yarder and keep moving it back until someone misses. First team that misses is the loser.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If the ghosts of Super Bowls past should have a good laugh, and make the 9ers Super Bowl champs this year, would Jimmy G still get the boot? That is the questions at hand.