1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NFL 2020-21 Seasonal Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Sep 11, 2020.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I think that one thing that could have been emphasized much more was the coaching and offensive coordinator carousel that he went through while with SF. He was set up for failure continually. It is a real testament to his abilities that he has done so well as a QB in the NFL.

BB likes this.
  2. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Is it too early to start talking super bowl for these guys?

Washington-Football-Team-permanent-name.jpg

djh22, 8barlouie and BB like this.
  3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes. Much too early.

4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Alex Smith is a very good QB. I think being taken before Aaron Rogers in the draft put Superman expectations on him. I never understood the 'game manager' tag applied to Alex. Go back and watch some of his games with San Fran and KC. Great instincts, accurate, smart.

I believe Haskins will be a very good QB in this league. And that Terry McGlaurin (sp) is a MONSTER wide receiver.

Speaking of wide receivers, Julio Jones had a huge game against the Hawks. Just an unbelievable player. That catch he made with Griffin all over him was a masterpiece. Calvin Ridley is no sloutch either. Atlanta is a very good team. I really like Matt Ryan and Tood Gurley will be a great addition. They just ran into a buzz saw yesterday....even putting up over 500 yards of offense was not enough.

electrichead likes this.
  5. 8barlouie

I was playing guitar in the garage early yesterday evening, and heard a sudden roar of cheers around the neighborhood. Acting on a hunch, I quickly went inside and switched on the Bucs and Saints game. Brady had just thrown a pick-six. :lol::lol::lol:

CajunJ, as5431 and Bassman8 like this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think the Buccs will get it together and in a month or so put up some big numbers.

7. lammie200

"Game manager" was some fabrication by a commentator that became an out of control sound bite. Not a meaningful description of anything. You either win or lose games. I would like to know how many games Alex Smith actually lost on his own. My guess is very few.

BB likes this.
  8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

What the L is wrong with Cleveland Browns? I keep expecting to hear how they played well, etc. But it keeps raining losses in Cleveland.

I know playing the Ravens on opening day isn't the best way to start the year, but my goodness, they have all the talent in the world....numerous first round choices, Beckham and Landry at WR, a nice stable of tight ends, etc.

I did not watch the game, so have no idea of what happened, (other than an ass whipping!) but is it Baker's fault, game plan fault, coaching, chemistry?

9. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Which guys? What’s their name? :lol:

electrichead likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I'd say Baltimore did a pretty good job of disavowing them of the notion of being good yesterday.
    2 hours till the NFL season really starts as far as I'm concerned - Here we go Steelers, here we go!

11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

That’s all I remember hearing about Smith’s time in SF. Maybe the rhetoric within the market was not as forgiving.

12. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Are they picking a name this year?

Btw, I've always liked the number on the helmet look, though I think it would look even better if it matched the jersey...white with yellow trim.

Colo Springs E and electrichead like this.
  13. lammie200

From what I have seen with "30 for 30s" they bring up anything. They let Lance Armstrong and Michael Jordan say plenty of controversial stuff. Maybe the producers thought that bringing that stuff up for Alex Smith would have diminished something about the story they were trying to tell. Personally I would rather have seen the truth.

Rustbucket likes this.
  14. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Being a Eagles fan is like watching a soap opera. Stay tuned.

Stubee likes this.
  15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Las Vegas Raiders - could be a sleeper....season. ;)

Stubee likes this.
  16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cam looked good--surprised me!

BB, fendrguitplayr and Stubee like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you just defined game manager. a game manager is a quarterback that you use very conservatively so that he could NEVER lose a game on his own. Smith is an average quarterback regardless of the curse of Mike Nolan and the other chuckleheads before harbaugh.

Trent Dilfer is the apotheosis of game manager. He was not terribly skilled (on that level) not super bright, not great instincts, but it is who John Harbaugh had. So, he used him to make sure the game and tempo were managed using his defense to back into victories... not made up at all.

Some of the other takes--> Atlanta got their yardage in slop time when the game was over... Matty 'ice' is Andy Daulton with a supporting cast that should win but doesn't get there...

What is hard to believe is that a guy like Daniel Jones is allowed to play the same position as Lamar Jackson.

In other news, Ben R can still play. Never seen a guy who can withstand the rush and just deal.

dburns, as5431, BB and 1 other person like this.
  18. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm a Raider fan. They won. I'm hoping they will end more drives with TDs this year. They need to improve their pass defense. I'm not sure they will.

KC still looks very tough.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

kinda funny to see the ex patriots NOT succeed and BB still win. Gostkowski looks terrible, Gronk... hmmm and TB12 all looked like Buccaneers.

20. 8barlouie

Jones gave the Giants some things to hold onto last night, but the forced dying quail pick in the end zone is unacceptable. Steelers D was amazing, but the Giants had an opportunity to steal the momentum and blew it. Football is all about momentum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.