NFD ! (New Fuzz Day)

TheDams

Tele-Holic
Happy New Fuzz Day to me!

I always liked fuzzes, albeit not the extremely aggressive "modern" ones. I had my share of different FF (Ge, Si, hybrid, etc.).

I didn't have one on my pedalboard since a few years, and I have been missing it !

Ramble FX Twin Bender (V2). Really nice clone of Tone Bender MK1.5 and MK2, with a few modern tweaks (voltage inverter for daisy chaining, bias control, "fat" mode). It sounds GREAT on a slightly cooked amp, whether my 6g2 or my Vox ac4HW1 !
So many vintage tones available, I love it, it's a keeper !

4796889.jpg

Last edited:

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I've been researching fuzz's a bunch lately. I can't decide if I want a vintage fuzz, a Big Muff, or an Octave Fuzz.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I've been researching fuzz's a bunch lately. I can't decide if I want a vintage fuzz, a Big Muff, or an Octave Fuzz.

They are all very different. Heck, there are a million different vintage fuzzes.

A good place to start might be a Foxx Tone Machine copy. They are Big Muff-ish but with a more useful tone knob and a Octave Switch.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
They are all very different. Heck, there are a million different vintage fuzzes.

A good place to start might be a Foxx Tone Machine copy. They are Big Muff-ish but with a more useful tone knob and a Octave Switch.
Ironically, I almost bought a used Danelectro French Toast today which I believe is the same circuit as the Foxx Tone Machine. It was really cheap, so maybe I should grab it.

TheDams

Tele-Holic
Exactly !

Low/medium bias, MK1.5, fat mode on, level at 3 o’clock, attack at 4 o’clock… and then everything else with the guitar volume/tone.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Ironically, I almost bought a used Danelectro French Toast today which I believe is the same circuit as the Foxx Tone Machine. It was really cheap, so maybe I should grab it.

I haven't played thru a French Toast, but yes, it is based on the FTM. You should try it out. If I could only have one fuzz, the FTM is probly the one. TIP: switch the neck PU and roll the tone down a bit to make the octave more pronounced.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I have never gotten rid of my French Toast that I’ve had since 5hey first came out. That cheap little devil is a monster. The most authentic Hendrix tone I’ve ever achieved. I have had a number of fuzzes and currently have a Analogman Sun Face on my board, but I still dig the Danelectro. I even thought of having it rehoused.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I have a VERY vintage tonebender, supposed to be worth a lot of money. I never liked it much, lol. I got it in 1981 from a guy that owed me money for his bail (drunk driving, no accident, just in the wrong donut shop at the WRONG time). Jackson never did repay me in full....

I have a Klon clone that I like more - its robot built from china tho. I'm in the process of soldering my own Klon clone. My first pedal. I've built at least 50 amps....

Tried to post a picture but "Oops - We ran into problems" error came up.....

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I have never gotten rid of my French Toast that I’ve had since 5hey first came out. That cheap little devil is a monster. The most authentic Hendrix tone I’ve ever achieved. I have had a number of fuzzes and currently have a Analogman Sun Face on my board, but I still dig the Danelectro. I even thought of having it rehoused.
Instead of going to the trouble to rehouse it, I built a Foxx Tone Machine. When I did that, I made the octave effect footswitchable.

I also discovered that there are (IMO) slightly better transistor choices than what Danelectro used. IMO, the gains for the trannies in the FT are a little on the high side. By using some with slightly lower gains, you can access more of the less fuzzy sounds to good effect.

...Don't get me wrong - the FT is a killer little octave fuzz (I had at least two of them). I only went to the trouble to scratch build a FTM because I was obsessed with octave fuzzes years ago, and had to have the octave effect on its own separate footswitch.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I built a Foxx Tone Machine. When I did that, I made the octave effect footswitchable.
I also discovered that there are (IMO) slightly better transistor choices than what Danelectro used.
All of that is over my head. I'm a simpleton. I wouldn't have a clue of how to build a pedal and certainly wouldn't know anything about transistors. 🤣
It always amazes me at the skill some of you guys have.
Like I said the FT is not my primary Fuzz. I use the Sun Face but I just can't part with it because its instant Hendrix.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
All of that is over my head. I'm a simpleton. I wouldn't have a clue of how to build a pedal and certainly wouldn't know anything about transistors. 🤣
It always amazes me at the skill some of you guys have.
Like I said the FT is not my primary Fuzz. I use the Sun Face but I just can't part with it because its instant Hendrix.
In my case, it was kind of a necessity is the mother of invention sort of thing.

I knew the FT mostly copied the FTM, but it didn't seem to have the more subtle sweep with lighter shades of fuzz that the original did/does. This really seems to become apparent with some of the octave'ish stuff with some phasing on note decay, even in non-octave mode, of the original FTM.

It turns out that Danelectro used 2N5088 transistors in the FT, which have significantly higher gains than what the original FTM used. When I scratchbuilt my own FTM, I simply used the transistors that General Guitar Gadgets suggested (BC237B or 2N3904), because their gains are very similar to what the FTM used (2N3565).

Like I said, I was just sort of obsessed at the time - I wanted a FTM that sounded like what Adrian Belew was using. The FT got me about 75-80% of the way there.

The good news is you can get some monkey with a soldering iron (like me) to throw together a DIY FTM kit for you, as it's a relatively easy build. I'd think that most of the kits would come with either the BC237Bs or 2N3904s. I'm simply suggesting that instead of rehousing the FT. Those Dano minis are a pain to mess with, IMO.