1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nextdoor.com

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Mar 4, 2021.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Is this a scam? I got a flyer in the mail today urging me to go to nextdoor.com/join and enter a code. Seems like a scam. What do you fellow guitar players think?

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

It's legitimate. I don't use it, but it's legitimate. It's an app that lets you communicate with the other people in your zip code/neighborhood/subdivision/city/whatever. It even has a marketplace for buying and selling.

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not a scam, but it tends to be people complaining about petty things.

SRHmusic, Slip Kid, 2GoneDE and 24 others like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Isn’t that what a “neighbourhood” is? (Why I don’t like neighbours, and why the feeling is mutual.)

Edit: I don’t know about nextdoor.com, but Mrs. German joined a neighbourhood email group one time. She was horrified at how much crime and horrible stuff was going on in our neighbourhood. In reality, we were never victims of crime, and none of the people we knew in the neighbourhood were victims of crime. There’s no problem like a problem amplified by gossip.

5. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

For 20 years I thought I lived in a great neighborhood. Then I got on NextDoor and found out what a S*hole I live in. After about a week I quit and everything was very nice again.
    YMMV

SRHmusic, drf64, Ed Driscoll and 22 others like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Duplicate - time sink & the folks aren't as nice as here. Also, they don't know jack about guitars.
    Peace - Deeve

mkdaws32, P-Nutz, tintag27 and 2 others like this.
  7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Karen runs nextdoor

1955, Ed Driscoll, scook and 19 others like this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Buncha neighborhood gossips sharing inappropriate details of their otherwise boring lives trying to "connect with the community" but nobody can be bothered to actually go outside and actually talk to their neighbors, and even then none would dare spout as much idiocy face-to-face as they do online. My wife and I signed up for nextdoor.com one time and were regaled with tales of the family hopefuls down the street trying IVF, reports of the neighborhood "crazy lady" whereabouts, and complaints about somebody's dog crapping in their yard.

Flip G, P-Nutz and Mark the Moose like this.
  9. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

I will grant there is no shortage of pet peeve rants that occasionally get out of hand on this site/app but when fires caused local evacuations, it reminded me what it can be like to be part of a community. It helped us find a temporary home, saved 3 of our chickens, helped us get other people and things safely out of harm's way, thwarted some thieving opportunists and allowed us to support neighbors who are rebuilding in the aftermath.

I do check in regularly now and I am more tolerant of the occasional rants. Sorry if this sounds like an ad. This is really more an endorsement of neighbors and being a good one. The Nextdoor tool is serviceable. The actual neighborhood is priceless.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think we used it for a while. Its legit. Lots of lost pets, stolen bikes and people warning about specific garbage bears in the area or crack heads rifling through cars at night. Mostly harmless and not the worst app to bury your head in, since the other people who use it are literally your neighbors. Real neighbors.

My favorite posting was a picture of a fat dog and a plea for the neighborhood not to give it any treats for a while. Cause it's fat.

11. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

nothing but trouble and petty crap as was said. deleted my acct bec I dont care to know every time someone elses dog poops in Karens front yard.

P-Nutz and gitold like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

The neighbor behind us is a pediatrician and a sweetheart, she is like the good part of nextdoor (especially right now) she helped people who got regular colds and needed small doctoring and is kind. When some a hole stole her bikes (she is dutch and married to a russian who is very loud) we all hunted for the bikes, found one and we replaced the other two because she is a sweetheart.

We are like a clump of about 5 little tiny communities and really quickly people self identify as: Karen, know it all guy, wild animal expert, people who hate people who ever burn, people who want free help, people who want to know who is good in the trades and then they argue with the other people, and people who just read it. I read it sometimes and laugh.

A couple of neighbors I like are on there a lot... one guy I now know is completely crazy (his ideas and beliefs are NUTTY) but, I dig him and he is a pretty good musician. We don't have any real crime here, but lots of 'suspicious vehicles'...

drf64, sjwieczorkow, BradKM and 4 others like this.
  13. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I joined a postcode FB page and soon signed out when I became aware how neurotic the folks in this area are. Avoid.

P-Nutz and getbent like this.
  14. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Sounds like TDPRI :cool:

15. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

Ok, that seals the deal. I’m in! :p

JuneauMike and getbent like this.
  16. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

My wife is on there. She relays the interesting stuff. Sometimes it’s entertaining. This was from yesterday.

upload_2021-3-5_6-13-11.jpeg

getbent likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

it does require you to share your real name and address publicly with others across the internet. Not sure that rises to the level of “scam”, but I’m not interested in doing that.

Anyway, it’s basically just the local magpie page, and you can get the same info/gossip/politics/drama on the local page of Facebook, Discord, Reddit, etc. and still remain anonymous.

JuneauMike likes this.
  18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I tried it a lot of
    A kid walked down the street looked at my car funny
    Someone put a package at my front door what should I do?
    Can someone mow my lawn?
    I need a ride ? Saw that way to much.
    My take on it to many busybodies and I need this & that. I don't think I made two weeks on nextdoor

JuneauMike and getbent like this.
  19. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We also have this in the UK. I did sign up for it, but to be honest I usually delete each update after a cursory glance through. However, my son got a gig via this mean a couple of years ago. Somebody had been let down at short notice by an entertainer for a private BBQ event and was asking for help/recommendations. My son got the gig and was well rewarded for stepping in at the last minute.

getbent likes this.
  20. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I use it. Pretty useful for finding people to do jobs locally. Lots of noise complaints of cars revving at night in the summer. Unfortunately no prostitutes in my area.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.