1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Next Version of Mustang? Predictions? Wish List?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dolfer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

That too! :D

2. TwangyWhammy

Can't believe I missed it either. :)

Finally tried it (been real busy lately)… wow, fantastic!

I've mean meaning to change the middle pick-up on my Nash and finally got a chance to do this last night. So I wanted to fine-tune my existing presets to suit. I must say, the 'double-tap' ;) on the AMP button to access sag/bias/gate/presence/speaker-cab options just cut down my tweaking time in half. It's actually quicker to change, test, change, test - rather than when using Fuse in my laptop. It's given me better headspace because I can make quick-fire comparisons and just concentrate on listening. Indispensable especially for perfecting clean tone presets which are tricker to nail down.

Thanks man!

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Glad you found it. :D

I'm not surprised you missed it- these amps have so many features, a few are bound to slip through the cracks.

4. TwangyWhammy

^ Thanks!

I know my friends in TDPRI will make sure I don't miss anything important! Glad you spotted my yearning and pointed out that it can be done. :)

5. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

I've been away for awhile... Has anybody heard if/when there might be new and updated versions of the Mustang??? I would love to see some of these great suggestions implemented on a new model!

6. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Other than an incremental/bug fix software update, I haven't heard any scuttlebutt. My tricky left knee tells me somethin' must be comin' soon, pard'ner. It always acts up when it rains...

OK, all channeling my inner-old-man-on-a-porch aside, I think a major update is coming. I'd bet a dollar on it happening early next year, likely in January at NAMM 2016. Unfortunately for most of us, I think it'll be in the form of new amps versus a software update. :(

7. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

I hope you are right about the timing lefty! I'd love to see a brand new version, as well as some major firmware updates while we wait.

Does anyone know how well these are selling? Any inkling which model is the top seller?

8. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Tough to say about the volume of units shipped; I think they're selling well if my local Guitar Center is any indication. The store's inventory turns over pretty frequently from what I can see. I'm in there at least once a month for strings and things and have gotten to know a number of guys outside the confines of the store.

My guess on best seller would be a near-tie between the II and the III. Something like 35% II, 30% III, 15% I, 15% IV and 5% V.

9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I disagree - I think that's message board bias speaking. Guitar Center is pretty much a "big box" retailer for guitar gear, and the Mustang is marketed heavily towards new players. Things that we consider "cheap" are still very cost-prohibitive for new players (or parents) who have no guarantee that the person buying the amp will still be interested in guitar 6 months from now.

Based on that and the pyramid of I's on display in my GC, I would bet the $119 Mustang I sells significantly more units than the $329 Mustang III, which we know to be excellent, but which is in an entirely different price class (and one that starts competing with tube amps and other more expensive equipment).

I have a bit of dilemma in that I bought a Mustang I v2, and I actually think that thing is amazingly loud and full sounding for home practice (8" speaker notwithstanding). Wish that had been my first amp instead of this awful piece of junk: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/crate/gx15. But the one "need" I have is for an amp with an FX loop, and rather than buy a crappy solid state for that sole purpose, it would be nice to upgrade to a MIII and have the loop into a nice Celestion, PLUS a great modeling amp with dashboard editing capabilities.

But the MIII is little too big, loud, and expensive for my limited needs. Also, I'm a little afraid that Fender will announce a new one in 6 months, and thus far, they have not handled firmware updates the way Yamaha did with the THR10.

10. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I would like to see a Robin Ford/ Dumble preset.

11. rp1138

rp1138 Tele-Meister

I'd like to see a 2x10 and a 3x10 cab setting. Id also like a harmonic tremolo, like on the blonde series Fender amps.

12. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Most everyone said my thoughts already, but I'd like to see: more cabinet options! 2x1o would be so cool! Stereo would be pretty neat. I'd also like to see more cab models and easier access to them. Finally, more finish options... TWEED.

13. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

The IV and V are stereo, and the III is stereo in the headset jack when using those cab settings.

14. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Vaporizer and Ramparte models

15. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Is having unlimited effects a possibility for the mustang?

16. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Limitations give us a defined space it which to work, why would you want unlimited effects? ;)

But seriously: One or two more would be fine for me. And I'm kind of not kidding about that defined space, one of the gripes I've seen about the Line 6 Amplifi's (which can have 8 effects simultaneously) is, there are too many choices, they don't like the sample song methodology (which you'll end up tweaking for your guitar anyways).

Heck, on this board some folks complain about the Mustangs having too many choices, where I see it as a unified interface for amps and effects. The MIII and up being the most like having a separate amp and stompboxes in front of you of any modeler.

17. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Just thought of something else as I look at my Mustang with 2 button, 4 button, and expression pedal connected....

It would be cool if there was a premium floor board that included all of the functionality of these 3 separate pedals and perhaps more.

I would probably pay an extra $150 or so for something like that so I could get all of that down to a single cable.

That being said, it would be nice if the current Mustang pedals work with the future version.

18. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Bluetooth....and a tweeter for playing backing tracks and acoustic guitars.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

19. dolfer

dolfer TDPRI Member

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about new Mustang models? All these great ideas are killing me! I want all of them and I'm willing to pay for it. ;) Is 2016 even a possibility? Would it have to be announced at the next NAMM or does Fender not necessarily tie their product launches to that show?

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The longer i own my MIII the more i'm coming to the conclusion the one thing that would make it absolutely stunning is really simple....better high end EQ capability. I find that even with 4 ways to tweak the highs on my fav patch, the 59 bassman with greenbox as clean boost. i can't really get the high end where i want it. The center frequencies of the greenbox's tone control isn't where i need it, nor is the treble, presence or blend on the amp model. The all vary the high end but not in a way that works in the range i need them to except the presence. But it's not perfect and I have it dimed and still need more when using the twin cab. I like the bassman 410 cab, but it's too bright and if i try and tame that top end with any of the controls i mentioned it kills the overall tone in a way that it's no longer even a patch i'd wanna use. But i CAN use a different darker cab, and for that i find the 65 twin works great. It fill out the tone and it's fat and beautiful.....but the highs are not enough. i can't add any more because i have the blend and presence all the way up, and the treble and GB's tone are as high as i can go without adding too much of a treble frequency that doesn't sound good past a certain setting. It needs more of those presence range highs.

I've tried everything, but in short there just a missing bit of adjustment in the high highs that i need. If as i have said before i could blend the twin and bassman cabs with a blend pot that would do it. But whet it really needs is a much more tweakable top end. I just find theres not enough available treble in the higher treble ranges and what is available isn't the kind of treble you need to get that sizzle. I can get it with a EQ, but it compromises the amp's tone because it doesn't work well in the loop and i'm not about to buy 5 EQ's to find one that does, nor do i wanna have to keep one hooked up for several reasons. So for me that would be the kicker that would make this amp perfect. What i'd love to see is a one band parametric with adjustments for center, width and level. I would be in total heaven, as that would allow me to get exactly what i want for the amp with no compromise at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.