Next project

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Rock_Glenn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I'm just finishing an 18 watt tmb and naturally I'm looking forward to my next project. I have a fender pro junior pt and ot kicking around. I'm leaning towards using them on a weber smoking Joe. But a tweed princeton or even a 5e3 could be doable. Any suggestions?

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

My 5f2a is a great amp, esp. with a 10 and a tone-stack defeat. Everyone should have at least one 5w class A amp! My $.02...

3. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Well I've built both a tweed champ and a blackface champ so I have two 5 watters. I have also built a Deluxe Reverb and the afformentioned 18 Watter. I love low wattage tube amps. I'm thinking something in the 10W to 15W range, and honestly don't know if maybe there's a great sounding circuit out there I'm overlooking. I figure I'll have to use a weber copper cap or create a diode rectifier, I also don't know if the pro jr power transformer will love 6V6's or how much juice I can pump through the output Transformer.

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Could go for something in the Vox vein. AC15, a tweaked Matchless or Bad Cat circuit, or similar. There was also a very short lived version of the 6G9 Tremolux that used EL84s. Don't run them at 400V like that amp did, though. That's a bit high.

5. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I'd love to do a Vox flavored amp, Is there a single channel AC15 layout kicking around? The spitfire or Creme Brulee might fit in the chassis I have, but an AC15 (at least the layouts I've seen) would be tough to fit. I could always buy a new chassis, but if I'm purchasing parts it kind of kills the fun of using the parts I happen to have kicking around.

Is the spitfire close, tonally, to an AC15? I've always been afraid of the EF86 in v1 but it seems necessary for me if I'm to do a vox amp.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

The Pro Jr transformer set is only going to give you a little over 300V anyway, so it's pretty much set for a EL84 design, but 6V6 works there too. The Martin 112 is a 5E3 copy with the same voltage.

The Dr Z Z-28 uses a EF86, and its a simple design.

7. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

The Z28 is a great idea, I found a thread on this site with the schematic, is there by any chance a layout? Or should I sharpen my pencil?

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't found a layout but here's a gut shot of the Route 66. It's the same amp as the Z-28 but with KT66 output tubes. The LTPI and output section you can reference many Fender layouts, then just figure out the single tube preamp. It looks like the EQ is built point to point on the front panel behind the Bass/Treb pots. It's a very simple design. This will be one of my next builds before too long. I have an empty Champ chassis this will fit into perfectly (using SS rectifier). Route 66 chassis.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  9. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I haven't played the z-28 but the Route66 is a great sounding amp.

10. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

That's great, thank you very much. I'll probably try the 66 with EL84's or just do a spitfire.

11. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Here are schematics and layout, BOM etc. for an AC15.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.