1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Next Pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by TobyZ28, Jan 18, 2021.

1. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Just curious what everyone thinks the next pedal or two I should get should be. Even better if you can suggest a specific model (I'm looking for a good bang for buck balance, not top of the line). Right now I'm having fun with a Wah, Centaur Clone and looper pedal but feel like I just need one or two more (I hear this is how all excessively large pedal collections start *gulp*!).

I'm leaning towards a compressor and/or reverb but I see so many other options out there I'm wondering if I should consider other ideas out there! :). Main goal is really just to have fun, not going for a specific sound, I seem to be bouncing between all genres right now.

Amp is a Tweed '57 Deluxe, and I'm bordering on beginner/intermediate guitar skills, if it matters!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Multifx... like a boss ME.. or TC Plethora. Will give you all manner of beginner to intermediate fun. Get you compressors, delay, chorus/modulation and a bunch of different dirt tones to explore.

northernguitar and TobyZ28 like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

4. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

One always needs a little reverb and delay. TC Electronic has cost effective good sounding solutions for both. I wouldn't recommend a compressor just yet. You should learn to control dynamics with your hands first so that you don't develop a bad habit of relying on it too much. Then maybe a modulation of your choise (chorus, flanger, tremolo).

I always have a reverb from my amp. Then drive, modulation and delay in front of the amp. That covers most situations.

Collin D Plonker and TobyZ28 like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Another flavor of overdrive, a Timmy clone, Bluesbreaker clone, or similar "transparent" type, a TS type, or a "Dumble" pedal. Or, a Rat or Big Muff.

Wallaby and TobyZ28 like this.
  6. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

With what you have I'd suggest a reverb/tremolo pedal or a delay pedal before going with a compressor. If I didn't have reverb in my main amp I'd have a pedal, for sure.

The last pedal I purchased with a Mr. Black Mini tremolo. It's "okay", nothing to write home about. It lacks a gain control which I now know is a big problem for a tremolo, but it does a "harmonic" tremolo which sounds nice. And it didn't break the bank.

My next pedal-related project will be to replace the Mr. Black Mini with a Flint ( I have amps with no reverb ) but it will involve replacing the board itself and rewiring it because I'm out of space. I do have the power supply covered, though.

A compressor with wet-dry blend capability is one of the first pedals I bought for my modest pedal board, actually. I use a compressor in a ( to me ) subtle way to enhance my tone rather than overtly squish it. A compressor also has an overdrive effect, it definitely pumps up the signal so it's useful that way, too.

TobyZ28 and 63telemaster like this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

You NEED FUZZ!

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Gotta have reverb or delay. It will add instant depth to everything you are playing. Next to one of those would be an EQ pedal. I know, kind of boring, but the best tool for learning how to listen to your sound.

Wallaby, Rocky058, TobyZ28 and 2 others like this.
  9. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Definitely need some 'verb!

Wallaby, TobyZ28 and tah1962 like this.
  10. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Awesome, thx for the replies so far. Sounds like Reverb/Delay is the priority.
    After that, EQ/Overdrive/Modulation/Fuzz next (not in that order) ... unless I go the hole combo fx pedal route!

11. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

JHS Milkman.

12. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

A Strymon BlueSky or a Strymon Flint and maybe another OD pedal.

driver8 and Wallaby like this.
  13. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

No end to what can be done with a quality reverb pedal that has
    this many options.

Picked this up as a "b stock" although it was brand new.
    Great products from this company.

[​IMG]

TobyZ28, driver8 and Wallaby like this.
  14. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Yeah, even if you play slightly heavier stuff, you need more OD than a klon. Or get a fuzz if you're into fuzz tones.

TobyZ28 likes this.
  15. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

This looks fantastic, bit of a sticker price shock (~$250 in Canada)! But looking at the specs it looks like it's packed with a lot of features and effects, and allow customization from PC/Apps... I guess it'll save me $$ from getting a small army of lesser pedals. Thx for the this I'll seriously consider it! I'm assuming this would be a sufficient replacement for a reverb pedal? Delay/Reverb seem to be somewhat interchangeable lingo wise it seems (?)

tah1962 and northernguitar like this.
  16. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Greer “Lightspeed” for transparent mild-overdrive and a J-Rockett “Dude” for heavier-overdrive. I’d would still like to find a more transparent overdrive than the “Dude”, that would do Zeppelin, AC/DC, and ZZ-Top level’s of overdrive.

My current board (not show an Ibanez TS808HW and a good Klon clone pedal).

A696ADA4-DEC5-4280-89A9-55A21695CCA1.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    driver8 likes this.
  17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

If your amp has 'verb id say delay. Even if it doesn't id suggest delay anyhow. Used DD3 or DD7. I have a couple of comps but being new to pedals I wouldn't reccomend one yet

northernguitar likes this.
  18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Delay and reverb come together in ways that test the limits of the imagination.
    CD143AA9-E578-427F-AC2D-FDDD83CAC68D.jpeg

19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Boss DD7 delay. It's cheap and sounds awesome. Plus it will take an external tap tempo switch. You can get one for 100 bucks it will bring your leads to life, plus it's lots of fun to used different delay times.

You never did say what kind of musiic you like. If rock, you need distortion or fuzz. If country, get a compressor.

TobyZ28 likes this.
  20. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

No! Some people use and even prefer delay as a substitute for reverb, but they're definitely not interchangeable. If you're playing a genre that needs actual reverb (surf, for example), delay is not going to cut it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.