next Mic for home studio

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by popthree, Jan 26, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i have a very modest home/bedroom studio.
    DAW=Reaper
    Interface=Scarlett 2i2
    Monitors= JBL305P

and i have 2 mics
    MXL 770 cardiod condenser large diaphram
    Heil PR20 cardiod dynamic

Primarily, i use the mics for vocals & acoustic guitar. I do some light electric guitar work and mic the amp for that as well.

i'm thinking of adding another mic... i'm not sure exactly what i want though. here's my thinking

i have a longer term goal of eventually getting a pair of figure 8 mics so i can track guitar and vocals using the "blumlein" pair technique... but i can't really justify spending the scratch for that setup right now.

i have an extra hundred bucks to burn on some kind of mic "right now"... or i could just kitty the money until i have enough to buy a pair for my blumlein goal.

i've sort of always regretted not buying an SM57 so that's where my brain is telling me to throw the $$ at the moment. what do you think? is an SM57 going to be too close to what i already have in the PR20 so kind of a wash... or does every home studio need an SM57 so i should just go ahead and get one??

or is there something else i haven't thought of that would better compliment my feeble collection of mics?

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

If you want a 57, troll Craigslist for one. They're ubiquitous and nigh indestructible so you should be able to find one cheap with a little patience.

Alternatively you could get a ribbon mic for some more variety. I've got a mxl ribbon mic, it seems to be a decent entry level option in your price range.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If the bulk of your work is vocal and acoustic guitar, a 57 won't be that useful since it doesn't excel at either task.

What do you feel your current mics lack? Are you looking to improve your guitar sound, vocal sound, or both?

You might want to think about a pair of small diaphragm condensers to record your guitar in stereo- the Audio Technica Pro37 and MXL 603 are both decent, entry level small diaphragm mics that can be had cheap.

Really though, $100 isn't much for a "next step" mic, although there are exceptions. I picked up one of the discontinued Sterling ST77s not long ago that was better than your average cheap condenser mic. The Oktava 319 is a good one too (just watch out for fakes- google it to be able to tell the difference between the Russian ones and the Chinese fakes), but it may sound "dark" if you're used to the piercing high end of the cheap condensers.

24 track likes this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The cheap ribbon mics can sound decent, but you REALLY have to be careful- the QC on them is abysmal. I'd say well over half have improperly tensioned ribbons, which makes them sound horrendous. If you want a project where you rip out the foam in the headbasket and re-tension the ribbon (or better yet replace it with a thinner one), they can sound pretty decent. Straight out of the box though, your odds aren't good.

24 track likes this.
  5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed that a 57 isn't going to get you what you are looking for, but they are workhorses that do well at a variety of tasks. You can find a good used one for $40-50 bucks and just keep it around for when you need an extra mic on something.

Personally, I'm a long time fan of the original Audio Technica 4033 for a wide variety of sources on a budget. It's got a known pronounced mid color that works well on acoustics, toms, and vocals. For me it's one of those mics that goes up and just never comes down.

For your needs, I'd recommend saving up a bit more if you're looking for a multi-pattern mic. I haven't used one personally, but the AT2050 might fit the bill without breaking the bank.

6. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

If you could get a SM 57 and 58 for $100 that would be good!

M

7. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

If you could get a SM 57 and 58 for $100 that would be good!

M

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

Beyer160 and Chud nailed it
    hang on to your coins and scout pawn shops tou may surprize yourself with what you find I picked up an electrovoice RE20 for less than 1/2 retail

so good mics are out there be patient you will find them

although not the best mics in the world I got a pair of Apex 415 for 50.00 each they have multi patterns and would work for you

ev_re20_1.JPG

apex-415-large-diaphragm-condenser.jpg

9. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

I'm reasonably happy with the Cascade ribbons for amps. Vocals and acoustic, you'll need a good condenser....yes, it's pricey.
    The BIG thing we learned, if you buy quality it only hurts once.

10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i was mistaken about the MXL770 i have.. i thought it to be a large diaphram condenser but it is small. I think i'll hit a few pawn shops and see if i can find anything. thanks for the suggestions.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

The Blue "Spark" is a decent LDC that is often <$100 used, might be worth a listen.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

On ebay and reverb there are a couple of M-Audio Solaris mics that are true LDC multi-pattern mics. I bought one when they came out new sometime in the mid-2000's, and have used it very successfully as a main vocal mic, for backing vocals, acoustic guitar, and as a room mic. I still have it, and use it when I can get myself to pull down the 4033's. Lol

A few of them are close to your desired spend of $100, definitely worth checking out.

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I use a combination of an AT2020 Condensor, SM57 and SM58 and it's fine for my needs.

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Several months ago, Sweetwater did a mic shootout of mics costing between $50-$6000 with the same singer singing the same part into each. I couldn't hear any major difference between a $99 Behringer B1 and the $6000 mics. I'm sure there's a difference, but not $5900's worth.

magicfingers99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.