1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Next Fender

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tshoe71, Mar 1, 2021.

1. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

So I posted last week about getting a new 68 Custom Twin Reverb. I already have the ToneMaster Twin Reverb. I’m thinking now that I have the 68, I could move the ToneMaster for another Fender tube. To get to the 68 purchase I backed out of a 59 Bassman. Since considering the Bassman I’ve read some things that make it seem as though it would sound tonally similar to my Marshall Origin.

So the question is...if I wanted another classic Fender amp that is tonally/sonically distinct from the Twin, what should I get? A Deluxe Reverb, HR Deluxe/Deville, Blues Deluxe, Bassman...

Appreciate your suggestions!

-shoe

Telefsantasia1 likes this.
  2. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Deluxe Reverb for sure!!

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do you feel the need for tweed?

Lawdawg and hotcoffeenochill like this.
  4. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Definitely considering the DR as well as Tweed. As the Twin is 6L6 and clean, I’m thinking lower watts, quicker to breakup, blues style/level overdrive from the amp. Even a Blues Jr?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had many Fender amps and I prefer the SF and BF Reverb Combos.

I’d go Deluxe Reverb of Vibrolux Reverb.

6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

7. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Super Reverb. There is a reason they made so many in the 60s and 70s.Huge 3D cleans with some mids (not as scooped) and actual musical break up (at insane volume of course). Skip the 6V6 reverb amps as they will sound like toys compared to a Twin reverb. If you want tweed tones and lower volume crunch nothing beats the 5E3 Deluxe. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    DougM likes this.
  8. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

You have big and clean, I would go smaller and dirty.
    Brown Deluxe, Pro Jr., Excelsior, Tweed Super/Bandmaster/Pro

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Since you have the clean, scooped BF/SF tones covered, I'd say you need a tweed clone amp. The whole range of Fender tweeds has a range of tweed tones. There is no single tweed sound, other than most of them are midrange-forward compared to BF/SF and fatten up when you turn the volume past 5.

Deluxe 5E3 - Has warm cleans, but known for being fat and dirty when cranked. There's a lifetime of tonal experimentation with only 3 knobs. Basically a 12 Watt amp, no matter what folks think. It's loud.

Super 5F4 - Sounds bigger and can be cleaner than the deluxe, but fat when cranked. Many say it's the ideal mid-sized combo. This will be my next amp, but postponed due to my just having purchased a '62 Tremolux.

The Deluxe 6G3 and Super 6G4-A are the later brownface versions and, tonally, sit between tweed and BF/SF regarding midrange and ability to play clean.

Time to diversify. Don't buy an amp that's more of the same.

10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As plenty here will note, the Excelsior is fairly one-trick-ish, but I do like mine. Plenty of girth, decent clean with the right p'ups and has handled the few pedals I've bothered to throw at it well (but I don't do much time/modulation stuff) and fairly affordable. Heavier than I'd hoped, but I'm paid to play bass, so it's not as bad as that gear.

That said, I'm still ready for a Princeton reverb with a 12" speaker, or a SRV-wannabe 1x15 Vibroverb.

11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I had a BF Pro Reverb for a hot minute; maybe that hits the sweet spot?

12. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

I ask this because I sincerely don’t know... but is there really a ‘tweed’ pedal that would bring the OP close to a nice sound without necessarily buying a new amp (ie. Wampler, Fender, Falcon, etc.)?

13. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

Appreciate all of the suggestions! I think I’m leaning towards the 5E3 57 Custom Deluxe. 2nd would be a Deluxe Reverb. 3rd...and the oddball non-Fender would be a Z-Wreck Jr head into my Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.