Next CV mods

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Waterbound, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Waterbound

Waterbound TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've had a 50's Classic Vibe for a couple of years now. Other than the switchcraft/Electrosocket mod and a Hipshot B Bender, everything is original. I thought it sounded great. Then I got a Baja, and my opinion changed somewhat. So now I want it sounding as good as the Baja, or close. The pots look ok. They're Alpha full size, a little stiff, but okay. They used a coax to the jack, which IMO is pretty good. So, what next? 4 way? Humbucker? Twang King?

2. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I dont like all my guitars to sound the same; but if it were my guitar :

4 way switch - along with the electrosocket, one of the best mods for any tele

Change the pots to something that arent as stiff ( it wont make the guitar sound better, but would increase the playability of it and your enjoyment )

Thats about it. Those 50's CV pickups are pretty awesome in stock form, maybe play with the heights to fine tune your sound?

3. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

The pickups aren't bad on the CV, but you *can do better. I'd upgrade them.

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Most of my guitars benefitted from a professional setup, including fret work. I have a vintage modified tele and the tech polished and leveled a few frets. What a player it is after that.

5. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

When I had mine, I put in a Broadcaster and STR1, and I actually put the originals back in. YMMV

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Yup , I have a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pu and actually prefer the 50's CV pu over the SD
    The Cavalier Fat Lion I have in Tele no1 however....

7. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I have a BSB CV50's and swapped out the pickups for a Duncan hot tele neck and Alnico II bridge. Not a big difference from the stock pickups-they both sound really good. I ordered a stew mac 4 way switch wiring kit and will have my buddy put it in next week. Looking forward to it.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

CS Nocaster with a 4-way switch would be a good route to follow as would Twang Kings but in order to get the same hum canceling from the Twang Kings you'll need to custom order them as a RW/RP set like the Nocasters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.