1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newly installed Callaham American standard Bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by craiguitar, Jan 8, 2020.

1. craiguitar

craiguitar TDPRI Member

Agreed. I'm not going to whip the thing off and put the original one straight back on there, I need some time with it, and like you say, new strings etc. it's all a factor. I will say this, It's stable as hell in terms of tuning stability, and I can't argue with the intonation from the compensated saddles. They are pretty damn accurate. So I'll spend some time with it for sure.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

That's what I did on one of partscasters - I kept the AVRI bridge but sanded the bottom with emory cloth to make it nice and flat, then I added the Callaham steel compensated bridge saddles. I think that is the best of both worlds.

craiguitar likes this.
  3. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing. The bridge looks great and I dig the surf green wallpaper!

craiguitar likes this.
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have a 95 AmStd tele that, after trying many pickups, cap values and a saddle change, is now back to near stock. I tried a three brass intonated saddle retrofit kit that fit the AmStd three screw bridge plate.

The only changes at present are a regular tone pot in place of the TBX and a black pick guard. Stock pickups.

It is my go-to guitar in a band, and it does everything a tele should do-twang, neck pickup mellow, etc.

At the end of a learning curve there was my discovery that pickup and tone control adjustment, amp knob twiddling, the right strings-and fresh strings, and technique trumped hardware.

An AmStd is not a classic tele and no amount of changes will make it one. It is a fine, versatile guitar as is. Mine has the added benefit of being dropped a couple of times resulting in deep cracks in the poly finish. Relic!

And when you turn up and play at rehearsal or gig volume, and run through pedals, all the subtleties and nuances get washed away in the blend with other instruments.

5. craiguitar

craiguitar TDPRI Member

Interesting that you went back to the stock pickups. One of the things that brought my 96 Tele to life was changing the pickups, the stock bridge pickup sounded okay but lacked character, and the neck pickup was awful, just flubby and incoherent. Yours is an earlier model though so I wonder if those pickups were better in some way....

6. kedsoft

kedsoft NEW MEMBER!

Hi - I've just bought a Callaham bridge plate on eBay with saddles. Looks fine but doesn't have anything on it to say it's a Callaham! It has the string letters on the bottom of the saddles. Is this normal (ie no logo or name anywhere) or have I been sold a dud?

7. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I have tried many different plate/saddle combinations and am sticking with Callaham brass compensated saddles. I sniped a used but complete set-up off ebay for a very nice price for my Esquire. Scavenging top quality used parts is part of the fun of a build. For my LPB 66/67 Tele the original plate and saddles are long gone (bought it in '71 and made a living with it for years, way before aftermarket parts and "boutique" stuff was available. If anything failed, it got replaced, couldn't afford to be precious about it) and I went with a Callaham assembly but used an aluminum saddle for the low E which gave it better definition. The original steel threaded saddles sounded a bit harsh compared to brass.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.