1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newly converted Strat guy, to a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tacomamc, Jul 2, 2009.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Hi all, I am newly converted to the Telecaster after playing (and loving) my American Standard Strat for 15 years. I couldn’t get the “girth” from my Strat that I was hearing in Teles, and tried a Squier Affinity out… and loved it. At $100, I could afford it as well. I have always been a “USA made is the only REAL guitar” believer, but have clearly been proven beyond wrong. I found it new, but missing a tone knob, and with two small dings/ blems on the lower bout. I like the sound, enjoy the maple fret board (my strat is rosewood) and find the pickups surprisingly good sounding. The neck is heftier than my strat, though the fret ends are not as smooth in the upper registers. By the serial number it looks like a 2008 model, is antique white, and heavy compared to my Alder strat. I am not new to working on my Strat, but being totally new to the Tele, I have some questions for anyone here with input.
    1. How can I tell what type of wood the body is made from (likely Alder or Agathis?)?
    2. Are the vintage styled bridges better sounding than the block saddles I currently have?
    3. I like the top loading bridge I have, will the vintage styled bridge from GSF fit? Which is better… six barrel saddles or three?
    4. It appears that I have a capacitor on the volume pot as well as on the tone… what’s that for?
    5. What is the best/ easiest way to replace the plastic nut with something better?
    6. How good is the Hipshot B bender? Best place to buy?

I have perused this forum occasionally over the last year or so, and look forward to your input.

2. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

3. xrolandtx

xrolandtx Tele-Meister

1. I also think the body is alder, or so says the squire website.

2. Its all a matter of taste. The vintage bridge will sound the most like a "telecaster," whereas a modern block style bridge is more modern, less twangy, less treble, etc. Better sounding? Depends on what youre looking for.

3. I like the top loading bridge I have, will the vintage styled bridge from GSF fit? Which is better… six barrel saddles or three?

Many bridges from GFS and other sites, they sell dual loaders that will be top loading, and through the body as well. GFS should also specify what kind of guitar it should fit, be it american or mexican, japanese, etc. 3 saddles are more vintage in tone, and are more troublesome when it comes to intonation, you often have to either get compensated saddles, or come to terms with having to make some intonation sacrifices for tone (which many of the tele greats have already done :D ). 6 Saddles will give you the ability to get more accurate intonation, and may give you a more modern sound like i mentioned above, it all depends on what your looking for.

4. It appears that I have a capacitor on the volume pot as well as on the tone… what’s that for?
    probably for a treble cap, so you dont loose high end when you turn down the volume

5. What is the best/ easiest way to replace the plastic nut with something better?
    Either take it to a luthier and have them replace it with bone, or tusq, or any of the other options. Bone is considered the standard I think, but tusq is a man made alternative for those who are eco-sensative ;)

6. How good is the Hipshot B bender? Best place to buy?

sorry, I am not a b bender user, but many others here are, im sure someone will chime in

4. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

The newer affinitys are alder, just thinner alder than your normal tele(1.5ish instead of 1.75). The standards and VMs are agathis.
    Vintage bridges look great, and they're a bit twangier. Not everybody is really appreciative of it.
    I'd suggest the GFS wilkinson compensated. Three brass barrels but it's actually possible to intonate. It's vintage correct, you can even put a bridge cover on it. It's dual load, so no need to change the topload factor.
    As for the nut, take the strings off, tap it LIGHTLY to the side with the smallest hammer you can find, the back of a screwdriver may even work. Preslotted graphite nuts can be found on ebay, but you'll want to thin them down when you install one. A set of various size files will do you just fine, graphite isn't too tough.
    Unless you're a big country twanger which loves to imitate lap steel, Benders are pretty unnecessary.

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

OK, great recomendations. Wood material (IMO) is less important at this point, because I like the tone. That being said, I also like the look and vibe of vintage guitars... so the compensated barrel saddled bridge may well be my next move. Have any of you installed a phase reversal switch somewhere to get an alternate sound with both pickups selected? I ran across that idea recently on a builders' website.

6. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

With single coils, reverse phase will give you very thin, somewhat quacky sound, it's good for funk, but not the most pleasing, can also be very nasaly.
    Series switching can make two singles sound a lot like a humbucker.

7. ole AZ

ole AZ Banned

I'm not very up on these things, but I think S1 switching reverses the phasing. Try a Baja Tele, they have a four way selector + S1 for lots of different sounds from funky to pedal steel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.