Newfoundland Became Canada's Tenth Province 71 Years Ago

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telestratosonic, Mar 31, 2020.

1. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At the stroke of midnight on March 31/01 April in 1949, Newfoundland (now Newfoundland & Labrador) joined Canada. My mom was over two months pregnant with me. My older sister was sixteen months old. I always like to say I was conceived in Newfoundland but born in Canada.

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

So... Is Joey Smallwood a sellout or a hero?

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My late Mom was a Newfie.
    Though legally I’m American, I always considered myself half Canadian.
    I lived in Canada (BC) from 1994-2003.
    I’ve never been to St. Johns, my Mom’s hometown.
    It’s on my bucket list.
    I’d better hurry, I’m gettin’ old.

darkwaters and telestratosonic like this.
  4. telestratosonic

It depends on depends on who you're putting that question to. I'll leave it at that. ;/)

5. telestratosonic

Hey, Bill, the fact that your late Mom was a Newfie makes you a Newfie as well. That's what I tell my younger son who was born out here in the late 1980s. Yes, you should visit there. St. John's is nice to visit in summer and there are festivals all over the island. I read that 25,000 Newfoundland women married US servicemen. The first of several US Naval and Air Force bases were built after the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. If memory serves me, the last base to close was Argentia Naval Base in 1995.

6. brookdalebill

You are most astute!
    My Californian father was in the USAF (Air Force), stationed at Gander.
    The met and married in 1956, and I arrived shortly thereafter, in mid 1957.
    I absolutely need to go to St. Johns!

7. maple

maple TDPRI Member

Garbage weather here this week

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Grifter.

9. darkwaters

I was the first in my family to be born Canadian.

Thanks Canada for letting us in !

We might not have had a lot to offer, but we sent you all our comedians !

canada-flag-animated-gif-67.gif

10. darkwaters

11. darkwaters

bob-bartlett.jpg

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It is so beautiful up there. I spent a week there working and fly fishing years ago. Absolutely beautiful.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices-newfoundland.php

Newfoundland had its own coinage.

To some degree, the coins were enough similar that Newfoundland and Canadian coins exchanged somewhat. I'd go across into Canada at Niagara Falls, buy a few dollars' worth of coins and find old Newfoundland coins - in the early 1960s.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  14. brookdalebill

My Newfie Mom did not consider herself Canadian.
    She was born in 1925, so she was a sovereign Newfoundlander till she was 24.
    She wasn’t adamant about it, it was just her feeling on the matter.
    Her parents were born in Ireland (surprise surprise), and her accent was more British/Irish than Newfie.
    Of course, that British/Irish accent may define the Newfie accent. ;)
    Anyways, she was great, and I miss her like a child.

telestratosonic and darkwaters like this.
  15. darkwaters

Folks generally assume that there's one Newfoundland accent. Not at all. Actually there are many as you go up and down the coast. A number of them are accents that have disappeared in England/Ireland, but are alive and well here, along with words and phrases that have vanished elsewhere. Linguists have a field day here, since it's like a time capsule.

I've known people here whose accents were so thick and strange that I literally couldn't understand a word they were saying. We even make fun of each others accents. A common source of gentle mockery is the Bay Robert's accent that turns "R" into "W". So, for them, they're from "Bay Wobets".

16. telestratosonic

Many Newfoundlanders my age are quick to point it out if they were born before Newfoundland joined Canada. It's a matter of pride with them.

Interesting. When you said in an earlier post your Mom was a 'Newfie', that she was born in the Dominion of Newfoundland (an independent country like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) came to mind. My Mom and Dad were born in 1927 and 1926, respectively. Newfoundland slid into insolvency and reverted back to British colonial status in 1933 (?). With the start of WWII, the US and Canadian bases put money back into the coffers and by the late 1940s, the province was back on its feet.

A referendum was held in 1949. The question on the ballot was whether to go back to being an independent country or to join Canada. The Independence party favored an economic union with the US. Canada and Great Britain did not like the idea of an independent US-friendly Newfoundland & Labrador sitting at the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, the gateway to Canada. Plus, there was talk among the Independent faction about eventually becoming a US state. The upshot of the referendum vote was: 51% to join Canada and 49% to become an independent country again. The British counted the votes and promptly burned them afterwards. Much has been written about whether or not the British falsely altered the real outcome of the referendum vote. They're called 'conspiracy theories' nowadays. Lol.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We do a family holiday to a different part of Canada each summer and 2019's destination ... was the Rock! it was a great vacation. Mandatory pic of Western Brook Pond:

[​IMG]

There is supposed to be one moose for every four people in Newfoundland, so my head was on a swivel in the car, but we didn't see one until nearly the end of our stay. I was told that by August, the moose are hot and hanging out in the shade of forests.

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I've owned the dogs, but never visited the place.

19. telestratosonic

It's a small world. With the Cold War on, the US still had a presence at Gander and at their other bases. Even into the mid-sixties, there were kids at our school whose father was in the US military. I was born at Gander. My father worked at the airport as a Federal civil servant. He would have almost certainly crossed paths with your father as Gander had only a few thousand people.

In 1956, we were still living in a converted-to-apartments military barracks near the railway station. The edge of the busy runway was about 200 yards from our apartment. In late 1957, the whole population was moved a few miles away to a newly-built town with semi-detached and detached houses.

Gander, because of the need for transatlantic flights to refuel in order to reach New York, Toronto, and Montréal, etc, was arguably the busiest airport in the world at this time. Gander still has a Canadian air force base there. There was a naval base there as well even though Gander is twenty miles inland. Pretty sure this was a listening post. The movie 'The Hunt for Red October' comes to mind. In late 1957, we moved to the newly-built town a few miles away and into a house.

Small world, Bill.
    Jim

darkwaters and brookdalebill like this.
  20. telestratosonic

Yes, driving at night is really dangerous because of moose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.