Newest Stereo IR loader pedal, FLAMMA FS07. A bargain and a winner!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GreatDaneRock, Oct 26, 2021.

1. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

So, I was looking for an ampless setup for my board, and after reading thread after thread touting Iridium, CAB M+, Simplifier, Amplifire, etc, as the holy grails, I came to the realization I really like my Joyo American Sound as a preamp, I love the fact I have knobs right at my fingertips and that adjustments are easy and quick, and that it sounds stellar as is. I wanted an IR loader to bring in a real cab feel, something in the same vein, and if possible no deep menu dives (though I enjoy modelers and multi-FX, and menus never bothered me). I was looking for a good quality IR loader that can store third-party IRs with little hassle, and a companion software that’s easy and intuitive to use, and compatible with Mac OS X 10.15.7

Enter FLAMMA FS07 pedal and FS07 Edit software. It wasn’t easy to get the unit to work with the software. The company is from China, and the website didn’t provide a firmware updater or instructions on this. Initially, the Flamma FS07 Edit software wouldn't launch and would quit right away, the pedal wasn't being recognized, saying the pedal required a firmware update, but none was found on Flamma's website anywhere.

There were no instructions on the user manual or the website on how to upgrade the firmware of the unit for the software to recognize it. I emailed Flamma and within 24 hrs they replied with the solution. I suggested to them to include these steps in their website Support page and the unit's instructions manual:

1. Connect your product to PC(Mac)
    2. Press and hold the footswitch and SAVE button while powering on the product
    3. Launch Flamma FS07 Edit companion software
    4. Firmware update window will pop up, please confirm and DO NOT unplug the power while this takes place!

After the firmware update, the pedal and software works like a dream, I was able to load a multitude of IRs, long ones even (11 sec). Unit is great, sounds awesome, well made, solid, orange, and works as expected. The benefit of it being a stereo IR loader with complete independent control of Left/Right cabs, plus Hi/Low cut for each side, delay spread (latency) between both sides, etc, just a fantastic unit, and not just for the money, just a quality unit. I also love the fact the controls are right in front of you, and they are smooth and precise, and you can see them interact with the software in real-time, as a controller would. Fantastic.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 3.17.14 PM.png

I’m currently rocking York Audio’s Mesa 212 V30 Its ($1 download), specifically Mix 03 and Mix 10, and also Leon Todd’s LT TV Mix 2 (my favorite). I play in an all-original band and we play funk, rock, pop-rock, and some heavy gain tunes too. The IRs are making my pedalboard shine through like never before.

Ok, that’s it, for $89.99 is hard to go wrong with this new unit from FLAMMA. Apparently, they have also made some products people are praising, their digital preamp and their reverb units are highly regarded in various forums and channels.

IMG_20211026_151021536_1.jpg
    IMG_20211026_151028083_1.jpg
    GDR

2. GreatDaneRock

I'm bumping my own thread, pedal's too good to go unnoticed as it did.

3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Hard to ignore at that price. I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the review.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  4. GreatDaneRock

The pedal has really shown me the power of using Cab Sim IRs to bring in a realistic feel to the sound (feel is super important as a player), and how good a tone/sound I can get with my pedalboard straight to PA/mixer, really an eye-opener.

5. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Verrrrrrrrry interesting. I've had the FS06 for a while and never really got along with the IRs attached to each of the 7 preamps, perhaps because there's no way to do Hi or Low cuts, which can make or break an IR. Though, options abound when the FS06's on-board IRs are disabled and I load up an IR into my HX Effects.

I mess around with the FS06 from time to time as the Plexi and Friedman models are quite good, though I always come back to my American Sound, dirt/boost from the HX Effects, and an IR loaded into the HX Effects.

That said, I hate using up a block for IRs in the HX Effects, so this little gem might be a great solution and open up some interesting options for blending IRs, which you can't do in the HX Effects as you're limited to one IR per preset.

Side note: as a fellow American Sound user, it's amazing to me to see how similar everyone's knob settings are. Mine are nearly exactly the same as yours. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    GreatDaneRock likes this.
  6. GreatDaneRock

I read many reviews around the FS06, almost considered it, but being a digital offering and my Joyo American Sound being analog, and me really liking it, there was no point in pursuing that.

I will say that the included cab sims in the FS07 were not the best when compared to third-party ones, and upon importing some of York Audio's offerings, plus Leon Todd's TV mix IR, it was a game changer, like lifting a blanket off of the sound, rounding off the edges of my dirt, and just really giving me that awesome cab feel and sound.

Shout out to Joyo AS, many players enjoy this unit and yes, it seems we all like it setup the same way, LOL!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    lefty73 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.