Newer iPhone pairing with older Toyota?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

After about four years each with an iPhone 4 and 6 I just got an 11 because my iPhone 6 was nearing its end. All is basically well except for one aggravation: it pairs with my 2010 Tundra BT and plays audio (various iPhone sources) via simple BT or line in, but the actual phone function won’t pair. So I can’t send or receive phone calls through the Tundra. I’ve deleted all devices from the Tundra and repaired my iPhone + powered the iPhone off/on but no change. Tundra audio will playing from my iPhone will “pause” when I make a call but not pick up the phone signal. Phone is iOS 13.3.

Small problem I know but if anybody has a fix I’d love it. I make probably 90% of my longer calls from my truck!

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This can be a tough one and it's not just an iPhone issue. Some of this compatibility spills into my work in very annoying ways.

First, we're at Bluetooth 5.x with sub-versions prior. In addition to the versions, I believe there are 30+ profiles in the protocol stack. I'm also sure the hands free requirement didn't happen until the 2013 model year. Put simply, there's a lot of stuff to insure compatibility and a car maker only has to make sure basic hands free works for newer models.

There are some cases of popular cars and phones that have had fixes. It angers end users but for the most part the chipsets and software in first tier phones works. It's all better with newer vehicles that have Apple and Google build into the electronics.

If your car has the common small auxiliary jack input you might get a solution with the Bluetooth dongles that fit those. They're popular with some frequent air travelers so they can use their headphones or earbuds with the airplane electronics in the seat.

FWIW, another 13.3.1 beta was released this week so if there are Apple problems that might be a fix.

This not really my job issue falls in my lap because I take care of managers and c suite in addition to our delivery and logistics people. The issues for new first tier phones mostly seems like 5+ year old vehicles.

How about this: You have a perfect excuse to get the amazing AirPod Pro buds. You'll have perfect pairing and noise cancelling. I'm among the many who questioned my spending and in short order admitted I'd buy them again if lost. They're amazing.

Good luck!

3. Stubee

Thanks. I explored with my son who makes his living using OSX and has several iPhones at any given time and he also mentioned the Beta so I’ll likely update to the 13:3.1 as soon as it’s available to see if it helps. It has reportedly fixed a Siri/BT bug so maybe?

I’d like to stay away from buds. I don’t listen to audio BT when driving around town anyway but really miss the phone function in my Tundra even for that. I do audio BT on longer trips and those are often many hours on two lane roads. I kinda like having my “ears open” on the road if ya know what I mean.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Can't turn pairing etc off? Wow

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

if you are gonna keep the truck for 3 more years or more, I'd update the stereo to a full carplay device. I did that to my son's truck and it is a 2010 vehicle... works perfectly now... I think the deck was like 280.00.. the harness maybe 20.00 and I hooked it all up (well, actually I made him do it with me watching and helping which took 4X as long) in a couple of hours including pulling parts of the dash...

I'm really happy with not having him fiddle with stuff while he is driving and now the whole fam (except me!) has that setup.

imwjl and slauson slim like this.
  6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

What get bent wrote. A 2010 vehicle is 9 years old...tech changes. you will have a lot less aggravation. Apple play receiver. Nav not needed b/c it's in the phone.

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I guess I'm lucky I still have a 2009 Scion and an iPhone 6... also found an ipod touch 4th gen that still plugs into the car stereo with the 30 pin cable.

8. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

More and more I'm a keep it simple, discreet component, simplify, easily fixed or replaced parts with lots of redundancy. Dont need a $600 gps built in my car when I have one on my phone for free. I'm on my 5th bluetooth to FM transmitter on my newest old car. My cassette adapter with the 1/8" out is 10 years old and never screws up. Dont need any of the crap that irritates at least as much as helps but when it breaks will cripple your car take your time and cost something stupid.
    They could EASILY make the car and or the phone work across multiple upgrades but they dont want to they want to punish their customers. Seems everyone I know with a new car says the car bluetooth is incompatable some or total. Or a 5 yr old car and they get a new phone and lose features.

I'm just pissed. Had the 3rd fridge repairman here to fix the last 2 guys screw ups and finally admit some of it isn't worth fixing and to refund much of the money. Only took 3 or 4 months, 4 or so missed appts and 8 times on site.

9. Stubee

Huh?

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If what you are doing leads to so much frustration for you, why do you recommend it to our friend Stubee?

imwjl likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For instance.... on mine, I dont have Wifi connect turned on unless I want it for some reason. No way to stop auto connects like that?

12. Stubee

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So yeah, unless I toggle my truck system to BT or (with line in) to “iPod” the radio just plays. The iPhone and truck audio system still remains connected or paired but no music etc plays from my iPhone until I toggle the truck system to one of those BT or line in settings. But even while just playing the truck radio, in the past an incoming call would engage the truck BT and the call would come through the truck audio. I could also override the truck radio when making a call by simply toggling the “Talk” switch on my steering wheel and asking Siri to call whomever, right from my iPhone contact list. All of that phone call connectivity via BT sending and receiving is now absent. It’s a rather stark disadvantage after ~ eight years of use.

I’m still working on it...

13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well my iPhone 8 pairs wonderfully with my Tacoma 2019, better than I thought it would, I love it, love the backup camera.
    This week I was trying to show the Ms something on my iPhone and couldn’t get any sound and was getting pissed , then I realized I had started the truck with the remote and that the phone was playing in the truck.
    Yes I know, this doesn’t help at all.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, that's a good solution but I hesitated to say that because some get bent out of shape for more spending, and a few people I know have not been able to do that because they already have a dashboard designed to only take the proprietary OEM unit.

Newer unit in old car is what my daughter's old Camry has. It's not intuitive with little buttons and blue display but it has all of Bluetooth, USB and aux jack. It is a great way for "Coche" the Camry to handle old age.

Either side of the 2013 hands free standard seems to mark what your car has and can have. It seems like a car with a generation that started prior still takes an after market unit with ease.

Everyone should understand why you want the Apple or Google guts. Overall the car makers will not polish and support that as well as Apple and Google will. Tesla is an exception.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.