Newby requesting help please

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Picslo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Hi, having dipped into this forum a few times and enjoyed the excellent threads-friendly advice - etc.. I have decided to have a go at a partscaster after seeing and being inspired with a thread about a Lake Placid Tele build (Nick88).
    I am a total novice- the only thing I've managed to do to re. guitar repairs is to replace the neck and tone pot on my Tokai Tele.
    My question though is about bridge saddles. I have a wilkinson compensated bridge to use. When positioned on the body, (cheap MIC- prob inaccurately routed) to gain the scale length of 25 1/2", it means I have to adjust the saddles back a long way, almost to the limit of the springs being fully compressed. Is it OK to do this? The adjustment screws are long but should they be adjusted so much or will this cause some kind of problem with intonation?
    The only other option I can see would be to move the bridge back about 1/4" but this would mean filling in the existing bridge cavity and rerouting:(
    Any info/ advice would be much appreciated as I don't want to start hacking without good cause.
    Cheers

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A few questions:

Is this a top loader or string through? If string through, what is the distance between neck pocket and string through holes?

What is the distance between the neck pocket and the bridge pickup cavity.?

You could always cut the springs shorter or remove themcompletely if required to intonate the guitar.

3. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Hi, Thanks for getting back!
    I'm planning to make it a string through -holes aren't there yet but the distance is Neck pocket to holes for string through in bridge -7 3/4" ( 197mm) and the distance neck pocket to bridge cavity is 4 5/8" (118mm).

4. Jack Wells

Your distance of 4 5/8 in for distance from neck pocket to pickup cavity is about right. However for a vintage style bridge the neck pocket to string through holes should be 7.69 in. See the Telecaster drawing below. What sort of neck are you using?

Terry Downs Telecaster Body Drawing

Is this the bridge you're using?

......[​IMG]

5. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Thanks for the correct dimensions.
    The neck I have is an unbranded one (21 fret maple/rosewood with skunk stripe). An ebay buy, it was advertised as a Tele neck (it has a Tele headstock) but it turned out to have a rounded Strat heel. I compared it and measured it next to my old vintage Tokai Tele neck and it is exactly the same length from nut to heel corners but extended about 4mm longer with the rounded end. All the googling I did suggested that 21 fret Strat and Tele necks are the same length and that you should NOT square off a Strat neck to use on a Tele. However, I did and it compares exactly now with my Tokai Tele neck.
    What would you recommend, is it OK to adjust the saddles right back to gain the scale length or should I move the bridge? What are the pros/cons of doing either of these things?
    I feel like I'm trying to salvage/make a purse from a sows ear- I accept that I will prob have to put this build down to my learning the skills but I hope to make it at least a reasonable playing guitar if I can.

6. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Yes that is the same bridge I have.

7. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

To get the scale length I have to move the saddles back until the height adjusting screws are sitting on top of the bridge securing screw heads.

8. Jack Wells

I think I see part of your problem. You cut off part of the neck heel. This moves the nut in the direction of the body thus making the saddles move further back.

Since the bridge is a dual loader, I would mount the bridge. The pickup cavity will pretty much determine where you put it. String it up using the top loader holes and see if you can intonate it using an electronic tuner. You probably can. If you can, then go ahead and do the string through holes.

Another option: Put a small spacer between the neck heel and the end of the neck pocket. This will move the nut away from the body. The saddles will be closer to the neck and your pickguard should hide the spacer.

9. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Thanks Jwells for your help,
    Re. a spacer between neck heel&body, you mean just a piece of suitable sized wood glued in ?

10. Jack Wells

It wouldn't even have to be glued. You could try just a dab of a flexable glue just to hold it in place. This would allow you to remove it.

11. Picslo

Picslo TDPRI Member

Many thanks. I'll try all your tips and post a thread as it (hopefully) comes together.
    Goodnight from Slovenia!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.