1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie's second build - a thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by scubadoo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dennis_hunt

dennis_hunt NEW MEMBER!

scubadoo and BAW4742, fantastic job guys!!

I just aquired a nice wine tele body and a reverse strat maple neck. Its an allparts like yours.
    The look I'm after is sooooo similar to your scubadoo so i've looked carefully at each and every photo that was posted.

I was thinking of using a stop tailpiece and a tunomatic bridge, which would make it more a les paul / prs.... but i havent settled on it. i found a nice p90 for the neck here in town.

Hopefully my project will turn out nearly as good as yours!!

Cheers gentlemen!!

2. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Dennis. Good luck with your project. Start a thread on it and keep us updated.

3. BooneDog

BooneDog Tele-Meister

WOW! VERY nice! :eek::eek::eek:

4. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Dennis!

5. verticleman

verticleman NEW MEMBER!

very nice work. I really like the home made scraper you made. I spend all my fee time at work checking out blogs on guitar builds and yours is top shelf. Very nice work. Seems like everyone has their own take on how a build should go. Its all very interesting.

What are you planing next?

You can check out my build at:

http://guitaristbuildsguitar.blogspot.com/

6. Max1603

Max1603 TDPRI Member

Hi, i'm new to this forum but i've already learned a lot from this site. for my schoolproject i'm planning on making a telecaster thinline deluxe, so i was wondering where you found this template, because i only found the normal tele template without the f-holes.

7. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

HI Max1603. Welcome to the group.

Try this link to a PDF file with F-hole.

Good luck with the project.

8. Max1603

Max1603 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot, this should do the trick. once i have some work done and have some pics i'll post them here. it's gonna be a ash sunburst thinline deluxe with maple neck and tonerider Alnico Classics (really cheap pick-ups but there are a lot of good reviews about them)

9. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

I know this is an older thread... but I read through it and I got to say I love this idea! Did you complete this one already?

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ole scubadoo hasn't been around since January.

11. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Yeah, now I see too. I hope everything's OK and he's just taking a TDPRI break.

I found his build thread for this guitar and it seems he finished it! Never had a thing for LPB, but I love this one... superb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Reverend D

Reverend D Tele-Meister

Its a shame he hasn't been around, he was building some lovely guitars. Maybe the misses put the kibosh on the whole thing (I'm very lucky mines supportive, but on the other hand I'm spending very little money on any sort of guitar stuff at the moment too), I'd rather think that then something happened to him. Seems like a nice chap. At least there's this link of a very nice build still here, that thinline is lovely.

Regards,

Don

13. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys,

yep, still around, and i still check in once in a while.

I just realised I was spending too much time on the forum and a couple of things happened that made me see i needed to get away for a bit.

That and I became a Dad to a gorgeous little girl who kinda takes up most of my time :D.

Still making guitars, and doing ok. About to start one that might be worth posting here. Hope you guys are all well.

Cheers
    Dave

14. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Cool! good to hear from you. Congrats on the the little girl man! Definitely take the time to enjoy her now, we'll still be here later.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your next build.

15. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Scubadoo,
    I have wanted to get into luthier work for many years and I am a 53 year old professional from Michigan here in the states. Anyway, I am primarily getting into guitar building to make classical, acoustic steel string and archtop jazz guitars however I have been a Tele player for 40 years and will always own a Tele. Although I primarily perform jazz & standards at this stage of my life I spent most of my career performing country. I purchased all the power tools and hand tools a little over a year ago to outfit my woodworking shop and have finally gotten it setup a year later and I am ready to begin making some saw dust. I have a friend who has helped me with a lot of remodeling here at my home who plays a Tele and I wast to build him a nice Tele for all he's done for me.

Anyway, your first build thread and your thinline build have been very inspirational and I have read both threads numerous times and I really appreciate the effort you put forth in documenting your build procedures on both of these instruments. I have decided to do a pinecaster for my first build so as to familiarize myself with my tools and the build procedures without breaking the bank or ruining an expensive piece of wood. I have to tell you, that thinline you built for your second build is mighty impressive and that is one beautiful instrument. This is probably what I am going to make for my friend once I get the initial pinecaster behind me as a confidence builder. Once again, thank you so much for all this thorough documentation you've provided as it will be indispensable to me.

16. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for your kind words.

And best of luck with the builds, you'll really enjoy it and there lots of people here who can be really helpful.

Best wishes

Dave

17. Thekillertree

Thekillertree Tele-Meister

Im glad you bumped this. Been a long time lurker and now i think Ive got the money for the tools (and motivation). THis thread is great for a firs timer.

18. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

We'll I have a friend who has a Gibson SG 1960's special edition with the Gibson P90 pups in it and he wasn't happy with the stock pups and said they were too noisy. He asked me if I knew of any guitar techs that could install his new Kinman noiseless P90's and stated that they were direct drop in replacements. I have wired up numerous guitars through the years and volunteered for the job and it turns out that the Kinman P90's are a minimum of twice the height as the stock Gibson P90's so his cavities needed to be deepened. With information gathered here on TDRPI and Stew Mac as well as YouTube, I decided to deepen those pickup cavities to Kinman's specs. Then, to top it off the 60's special is only 33mm thick whereas a standard SG is 38mm so I had to be very precise and careful.

I had equipped my shop with necessary power tools of a cheaper brand Ryobi as most of my guitar building will be classicals, steel string Dreadnought and jazz archtop guitars that require mostly hand tools and an occasional power tool. I learned very quickly you get what you pay for when it comes to router bits and the Ryobi router is just fine but their bits are terrible.

Long story short, I was able to get the cavities routed perfectly with a routing jig made from 1/2" MDF so as not to damage his finish or fretwork and my initial Tele build was going to be a Pinecaster however routing out those pickup cavities with a quality pattern bit and doing this Kinman install has led me to go ahead and dive in with Alder or Ash as I am confident that I can do this and I do come from a long line of woodworkers, carpenters, masons etc and have a lot of experience in the trades just not fine woodworking. I am, however looking for rough sawn woods as I need to get some experience with my hand planes too for the guitars I actually plan on spending most my time building

19. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I am keeping my friends stock Gibson P90 pups for doing this work for him and chalking the rest up to a valuable learning experience and he is after all a lifelong friend. I was wondering what you fellas think about a Thinline Tele as my first build with P90 pickups. I am confident enough to attempt this and I am just looking for a little feedback from some of you more experienced builders. Scubadoo and Jack Wells thinline builds are mighty inspiring and I doubt that I would get into all the carved belly etc on my first build but I am not afraid to attempt this either. I am thinking Thinline as it will give me some experience with joining a top, f holes etc for my future projects and a thinline might just be a nice beginners compromise.

Any thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.