1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie's First Build - Custom Thinline!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dj4732, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Dj4732

Dj4732 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, first post so please take it easy on me :rolleyes:

I have an obsession for taking apart my guitars and never putting them back together, whoopsie. The plan is to build my own guitar so I can't take it apart and get bored before putting it back together. It's all been very badly planned but by the power of Grayskull I will make it work.

The shape is a typical tele, I will have a custom pickguard and a '72 Pawnshop style control plate, NO TONE!! With a mini-humbucker in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge fingers crossed it'll sound as good as it looks in my head. :oops:

I'll upload some rough designs in the morning, the body is 1-piece Ash and I'll have a 2-piece ash cap, this will be finished with a maple neck, but I'm not sure wether I want a rosewood or maple fingerboard. Anybody's opinion on how it would be best to finish or what colour would go well with my cream pickguard material.

Thanks for reading, Dan! :D

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'm really fond of the new elite series in mystic ice blue with a maple fretboard neck.

[​IMG]

3. Dj4732

Dj4732 TDPRI Member

I was drawn to sonic blue, but finishing the thin line with a spray sounds difficult to me, I was wondering how best to cover the f-hole to prevent unwanted paint build-up in the cavity. I just assumed masking tape would do the job I guess.

4. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Take a small balloon and inflate it in the cavity. Then slide a business card or other small bit of stiff paper into the cavity where it will be pressed against the inside front wall of the cavity by the balloon. Boom, Bob's your uncle.

5. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

Cut the f-hole in the cap before you glue it to body. tape paper over the hole on the back side of cap. Easy to push off & fish out later after assembly and finishing.

6. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Good idea, if you're building from scratch. Mine is the already-built-body approach.

7. Dj4732

Dj4732 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated! :D
    Would anyone be interested in seeing the build photos, it might help you point out any mistakes I make!

8. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

We are all addicted to build photos. You should start a thread and post updates. Welcome, btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.