1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEWBIES: 5 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU START BUYING GEAR.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FluffyDog6, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Too many beginners quit. You need something to keep the interest piqued. If someone wants to play electric guitar, they should start with electric. If they want to play acoustic, they should start with electric. It’s just so much easier and may stop some from quitting. Plug in with some gain and volume and use the index finger to play an A5 and E5 power chords. Alternate them various ways. Hear and feel that amp pounding. Now, go back to learning stuff.

2. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Or at least commit to practicing five minutes for every one minute spent reading them.

3. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have disregarded all the OP's principles repeatedly over fifty-plus years, and I continue to do so. This is not to say it isn't good advice.

The only rule I would advocate: use your money for food, clothing and shelter first.

Then buy guitars.

Also I wish to point out that I bought some tone yesterday.

Deathray and beagle like this.
  4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

It's a tricky area. Shane from intheblues (on YouTube. Perhaps you've heard of him?) often gets guitars sent to him from an Australian brand (Artist, how original) and most of the time, 8 times out of 10, maybe 3 times out of 5? I don't know... he'll rave about them - e.g. "for the price they're excellent", "I play this guitar more than my other same type of guitar from a better known brand", s**t like that. He makes his disclosures quite clear, there's a graphic that pops up that's easy to see, etc.

However, like all guitars, a few bad ones slip through the cracks, i.e. paint not quite up to snuff, sharp frets, wiring issues, bad pickups, the usual arguments. And sometimes people watching his reviews all "start to wonder" (outright blame, would be the closer term) if he's not talking up the instruments JUST BECAUSE they got a bad one.

I don't know, the whole concept of people being so cheap they must sit in the dark for hours just pondering "if I say this bad thing that I got for free is actually good, maybe they'll send me ANOTHER ONE FOR FREE!"... Why the f**k would anybody want two BAD "free guitars"? It's 1am and I haven't had proper food since breakfast, I'm probably a little delusional.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A cheap, ratty guitar through a really good amp will almost always sound far better than a really good guitar through a cheap, ratty amp.

Deathray, sonicsmitty and EspyHop like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, and there's also this.

[​IMG]

7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Newbies also need to decide:

Where do you come down on the maple vs rosewood fretboard issue?

How do you feel about SS vs tubes? And if you don't know what that means you need to figure it out ASAP.

And other really important issues!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Deathray likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

1. You can "buy tone" up to a point. For example, a beginner on something like a Blues Junior or Marshall Origin is going to sound better than they would on a $50 cheap practice amp. However, an experienced player will discover how to get the best tones out of the gear they're using at the moment.

2. With few brick and mortar stores available now in most areas, ordering online is must for many people. One should order from a reputable company with a good return policy though. It's a bit of a pain if you have to ship something back but it may be less of one than driving 2+ hours there and back to the closest guitar store.

3. The advice in bold was good up until the 1990's or so but today's inexpensive guitars are better than they've ever been. One no longer needs to spend $1500 (in today's dollars) for a very good guitar, especially when it comes to solid body electrics. I also agree with the idea that it may take some time and "kissing some frogs" before someone finds the guitar type they like the best.

4. But, but, I thought you said "Never buy a guitar, especially an acoustic, you haven’t laid hands on first."

5. What? You mean all the recent hype about the Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster was fake? Say it ain't so!

1 21 gigawatts likes this.
  9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, no offense intended, but I would agree that you seem to me to be the odd man out on this point. The GC in Charlotte is why I'll never go into another GC... anywhere. On the flip side, I've never had a bad experience with Sweetwater, in fact, they've all been very good, and I've bought guitars, etc. from both.

10. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

@DekeDog, no, no offense taken. My experience with Sweetwater is the outlier. There is no one-size-fits-all experience. They're so universally praised that I recommended them to a friend who picked up guitar at the start of the pandemic. I just won't shop with them. There's no animosity or anything.

I get why people get upset at GC. It's a mixed bag. Some people there have no clue what they're talking about. Some do. They put it on the customer to learn the store. What's great about GC is that I can drive a short distance, walk in, and play something I want to try out. That is not an option with Sweetwater. Sam Ash is the only other game in town and they don't dazzle me. They're okay, but they've never gone above and beyond.

11. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

New information can be hard to assimilate !!!! ENJOY the music. :)

12. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I would add that if you're a newbie, you should focus on how a the guitar feels to you more than how it sounds. Your ear as a newbie probably doesn't have the experience to discern the subtleties of one guitar's tone over another. Most new guitars from reputable manufacturers are likely to be of decent quality. If you really get into playing, you'll learn to make most guitars sound good. Therefore, when making a purchase spend time considering how the guitar fits with your body. Is the bout of the guitar too wide for your arm to fit around? Do the edges of the guitar jab into your belly or your arm? Does the neck have a width that your hand fits around comfortably? Ask yourself those questions as you're examining a guitar. Also, make sure you get a guitar that you'll never get tired of looking at.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    DekeDog and 1 21 gigawatts like this.
  13. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Or Randy Newman:

They say that money
    Can't buy love in this world
    But it'll get you a half-pound of cocaine
    And a sixteen-year-old girl
    And a great big long limousine
    On a hot September night
    Now that may not be love
    But, it’s alright

He changed the girl’s age to nineteen sometime before 2008, thank G-d

Deathray and Fretting out like this.
  14. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

I should add that to the OP.

Toast likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

zagree with all but 1. Which is just the usual ‘all in the fingers’ mantra. If true, the CS would use the same pups as fitted to a Bullet

16. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

An old belt works as a back-up too.

Festofish likes this.
  17. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

If I had done that (gain up and a lot of volume) back when I got my first electric back in 1959 I may have never played electrics again and just stuck to acoustics. Not a sound I ever want to hear.

18. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Good to know.

howardlo likes this.
  19. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D

20. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

And also (based on my own experience, as a newbie, buying some kit recently).

Google is your friend.
    And while there is a lot of misinformation (even if well-intentioned) out there, it isn't hard to find the truth if you look.

And armed with the facts don't be afraid to ask questions, even at risk of losing the deal, before you pay.

When I recently bought my "1983 American Standard Telecaster" (sic) I had to politely, but unambiguously, explain to the seller that the guitar was not from 1983. I told him that information on this forum of telecaster experts suggested it was a 1988 and, after first telling me to go away, he (very) reluctantly agreed to take the neck off and send me pics of the heel and pocket. The pics confirmed the guitar was legit, and we did the deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.