1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NEWBIES: 5 THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU START BUYING GEAR.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FluffyDog6, Mar 30, 2021.

1. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I'll disagree on 1 and 2.

#1 really depends on intent and expectation. For newbies hoping to buy into acceptable/excellent sound - as a shortcut to learning and experience - I would agree. For experienced players who know exactly what specific tones they're interested in, things get different. Example: the sound of a Franz p/u in a vintage Guild archtop is (to me) unique. And varies from guitar to guitar, depending on woods, construction, dimensions. Sorta P90, not quite. If that's what you're looking for, then you look for specific guitars/models/years. And those tones, you can buy. Here's a case where "as good as" is not the measure of success. Yes, I can sound as good on a tele as I do on my '62 Guild X50. But "as good' is not what I'm looking for.

#2 is a useful general rule. But maybe not for everyone. For a long time I actually had much better luck buying sight unseen than in person. Strange, but true. It really is luck, and that's a personal thing. Example: Only one of my 4 or 5 favorite teles was an in person sale. The others ... something about the pics was compelling enough that I thought they'd be right. And so it was. Not every guitar that comes to me sight unseen is that way, but more often than not. That's just me. YMMV.

P Thought likes this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Killing Floor and beagle like this.
  3. unixfish

But how else will we know what we are doing wrong and what thousands of choices are out there that we should have considered?

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Guitar Forums=primary fuel for GAS:lol::lol::lol:;).

5. unixfish

But, but, but, but, GAS is fuel, is it not? :lol::lol::lol:

Just having a laugh here, as were you. Thanks for the chuckle on a dreary morning!

stormsedge likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss. :D

7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Get some bitchin picks.
    [​IMG]

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Good points and worth pinning.
    But bear in mind the journey of discovery can be fun too.

OldPup likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Spend all your shopping time searching for a good guitar tech.
    Buy any guitar and have them do a complete fret level and setup ... runs about $100 ... makes the guitar play like a Custom Shop.

My favorite guitars to buy are the battered/abused and super cheap. Fix them up. Do a fret level. Play.

One example of getting a 'good guitar tech', but it's a little more spendy:

All those Gibson Les Paul guitars that everyone raves about (until the headstock snaps off) are run across a PLEK machine at the end of the factory process. You too can get PLEK playability on any other guitar. Or just find a competent guitar tech.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I agree one hundred percent with OP's #2 about playing acoustics first. Aside from discovering the feel of the neck and the guitar, there can be significant variations in sound between even guitars of the same make and model, not to mention how the sound of the room affects sound of the guitar. My recommendation is to have a price range in mind, go to a brick and mortar store that has a good selection, and play a bunch in your price range. Even try some in a much higher price range to get an overall feel for what sounds good to your ears.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm changing my vote in the "What's The One Song" thread to this.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Decent advice but you should explain what GAS is.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Good point! And what’s the best way to get really cool picks, kids?

(all together) BOUTIQUE PEDALS!

Torren61 and Bluego1 like this.
  14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

There’s toan in them thar picks!

Torren61 and Killing Floor like this.
  15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

3. It is better to buy one “good” guitar than work your way through four or five “almost” or “cheaper” guitars

If every beginner followed that advise, 95% of guitar players would be playing a Fender Strat. Not knowing any better, they would default to the safe choice with their expensive purchase of one "good" guitar. And because they spent a lot of money for that guitar, they will remain blissfully ignorant of the fact that the third or forth "cheaper" guitar that they may have worked their way through would be the true #1 for them.

I started my guitar journey last June and am working my way through "cheaper" guitar (now on #7). The knowledge that I have gained about my preferences about various models as well as the luthier skills learned and practiced on these cheaper guitars is priceless (well worth the $900 spent)! I'm getting pretty close to zeroing in on "the one", but there are still a couple of guitar types that I want to try before being sure. When I do drop the money on a "good" guitar, I will do so with the knowledge that it is the right guitar for me. One thing is certain, it will not be the same guitar that I would have chosen nine months ago...

OldPup, Bluego1 and Torren61 like this.
  16. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Since this is the internet, I think there is a moral obligation to disagree. :D

1. You CAN buy tone, but only up to a certain point. Buying a custom shop Stevie Ray Vaughn Strat, a custom shop Fender amp and a $500 first year tube screamer won't make you sound like Stevie

2. I'd say this is good advice for any guitar. I've been underwhelmed many times with my internet finds.

3. Probably the best advice ever. Buy the best guitar/amp you can afford and play the hell out of it.

4. Sweetwater did knock $100 off of a Gretsch I bought once. It was still more expensive than I found it elsewhere, but I like the warranty. They also offered to pay for a set up at the tech of my choice when I had problems with the Bigsby.

5. True, true, true. I remember reading in Barney Kessel's biography that he thought the Kay Barney Kessel guitar was a POS and he never played it.

I would add

6. Get lessons from a GOOD teacher and learn proper technique. Just because Jimi Hendrix can play with his teeth doesn't mean you should too. These artist often excel in spite of their technique, not because of it. Knowledge is power. Better to know something and not use it then need it and not know it.

DekeDog and Torren61 like this.
  17. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

You don't just buy a guitar. You will also need new strings, a setup, a strap, a case, cables. an amp, guitar polish, polishing cloth an proper fitting screwdrivers, wrenches and allen wrenches to maintain it.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Posting videos of gear that you received for free, and get to keep, without disclosing it as a paid promotion (against YouTube rules BTW) is essentially that.

19. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Sweetwater is never going to be competitive on price. Their level of customer service costs money to provide.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  20. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm the odd man out with Sweetwater. I had some technical questions that I assumed a sales engineer could handle. I got ghosted. I even followed up. I read about their famed customer service on this site from time to time. Most of the time I don't reply. But not today. I have had better experiences with Guitar Center. There are things I don't like about them as well, but there is zero question about which one has done more to earn my business. And it's not even remotely close.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.