1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie with a guitar problem

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Pastoral, Nov 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

1. Pastoral

Pastoral NEW MEMBER! Silver Supporter

I've been a lurking paid member for several months... just purchased a new guitar and have a question.

I just purchased a new guitar -- PRS SE 20 (the new PRS parlor acoustic). It just came and its VERY buzzy. Is this something I can fix myself, should I take it to a guitar store for repair, or do I need to send it back?

Am I wrong feeling disappointed that after $500+ I received a guitar that doesn't play great out of the box?

Thanks for any help!

WalthamMoosical, RadioFM74 and Wulf like this.
  2. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

It could be any number of things, incorrectly cut nut, poor fret level, bridge, truss rod, old/dead strings etc.

If you bought it new it will never be perfect out of the box but should be set up at least to a playable standard. I would contact the dealer and ask for a set up.

If you've bought it used, it probably needs a restring and full set up which is either a trip to a tech or do yourself.

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

word-for-word - "what he said" (above)

congrats on new guitar - when it's sorted out, tell us more

Peace - Deeve

PhredE and BobTheOwl like this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard:cool:
    Bummer that you can spend $500 for a guitar and not have it play decent right out of the box. Hopefully all you need are simple adjustments to the bridge and truss rod~

Wulf likes this.
  5. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No you are right to maybe feel a little disappointed as already a guitar you liked enough to fork out your hard earned for has you creating bad vibes about it.....
    It should, as @BobTheOwl has rightly highlighted, should be at least playable outta the box, but if it is that bad I would pop it back to the dealer and point that out to them, $500 aint a drop in the ocean for most folks !

Wulf likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

While it's harder right now, this is a good example of why buying from a shop that's well known is still a good thing to do, as opposed to a big box store. Smaller shops often advertise if they do setups and fret work on their guitars, where larger places likely just ship them out after a quick inspection.

Wulf and PhredE like this.
  7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Neither is better. I've been buying from both for 40+ years and have had success and problems with both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Wulf and PhredE like this.
  8. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Welcome aboard.

BobTheOwl I think has it spot on.

Also, just FYI, in the future.. people will insist on pics! (especially when discussing a recent GAS acquisition). But, pics would be all that much more useful in helping us to figure what is going on with your new gittar.

Wulf likes this.
  9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Is the nut cut properly? Sounds like it might be cut too deep? Just musing. Was thinking about a parlor axe. Hope you get it sorted out!

Wulf likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It probably just needs a truss rod tweak.

Welcome aboard!

Do you have a pal who plays guitar and does their own adjustments? If so, call and schedule a meeting ;)

You can also do this yourself (the guitar should have a little tool to do this). There's nothing scary about this operation. Look here:

Fretting out, Wulf and SRHmusic like this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

There are a whole lot of things that can cause a guitar to buzz. One of the ones that crops up right now is under humidified - that is a dry guitar. If the guitar has spent much time below 40 % RH the top shrinks and flattens out, eventually it will crack. As the top drops the bridge does too, now the neck looks like it is over set and bingo, buzz box.

If it is humidity (there are some other indicators, sharp fret ends being one) then humidify the heck out of it and get it stable before doing anything else. That can take a month or so

The other setup things - relief, nut, action all work together and while it is not rocket science, there is a bit of knowledge to get them right. In my humble opinion that should be done by the store selling the guitar and not left to a new owner.

Ps - when you do get is sorted out, whether it is a humidity issue or not, get or make a sponge humidifier for it and kept it in its case. That should be a sweet little guitar, treat it well.

Fretting out, Wulf and PhredE like this.
  12. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

The PRS website has a lot of good videos on setting up your guitar. It is good to learn how to do a basic setup. Probably just needs some tweaking.

RadioFM74 and Wulf like this.
  13. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

A replacement guitar should work, if you can get a replacement.

A clean start might be a good idea.

You'll learn all the other tech stuff in due course. You're supposed to enjoy a new guitar.

SRHmusic and Wulf like this.
  14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

This seems common these days...and many put up with it.
    If it was a new car or new motorcycle..or kitchen appliance we would all be straight on the phone wanting to know what rubbish is this?
    yet we get a guitar...find its got issues then do nowt about it.
    i got a cheap chinese offset electric...i treat them as a kit really...rip them down and make something good from them...well guitar arrives...with a few things a bit off...for the price i could live with it...chanced my arm..emailed the supplier and within a week had another with an apologetic note and thanks for letting them know.
    they also said to keep the first one.
    second one was spot on...and although same guitar had thicker chunkier neck to boot.
    all peas in a pod are not the same...so i ended up with 2 for the price of one thanks to a polite but firm email of complaint
    dont stand for 2nd rate things
    if its not what it should be..complain
    they send out rubbish because they know most folk will say nowt...even if theyre not truly happy with their purchase

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:28 AM
    BobTheOwl, tonyj and corliss1 like this.
  15. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

As a fellow Northerner, born and bred, I fully endorse your reply.

Remember, ........ If tha ever does owt for nowt, allus do it fer thisen.

Wulf and BobTheOwl like this.
  16. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Wise words indeed.

17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

eyup lad...aye and ne er waste thee brass on thossmuck or sheeps urine
    greetings from Woollyback land (almost)
    as fer owt fer nowt
    a nice story regarding Steve James Guitars this morn
    door were oppen..."Sorry Wulf...were shut"
    "wey doors athoppen" says Wulf
    "what you need Wulf"
    " set er 10s ferth tele if tha can"
    "here you go mate stick em in yer pocket n keep thee brass"
    "has tha got a knacked ord tele bridge pup inth box?"
    other lad in shop..."think so yer want it?"
    promptly recieved pickup too..."as gion t mek a new pup wi tord strat pup outta draw"
    "fetch it in wen yer dun...got to see it!"
    chance your arms and be rewarded people
    if your not a northener from england my dialogue there might not make much sense...thats how we speak round here

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    SRHmusic and tonyj like this.
  18. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

......a gradely reply indeed.

Born an bred ont'Pennines. Lived in an owd stone farm cottage fer quite a long time, afore movin' deawn to't village

Attended Darren grammar Schoo'........ "...between two 'ills so bleak an barren lies dirty, smoky, stinky Darren"

Actually I loved the place. Lots of luvly young lassies, an Olympic size swimmin' pool, an some fine pubs.

Then I ended up in Canada, ........ and nowt much wrong wi that eyther. Bigger 'ills an deeper snow pr'aps, but tha can't 'av evrythin, can ya?

19. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I just have to note that after playing and buying guitars for almost 60 years, that regarless of what you pay for a guitar, it's very rare that they are set up to your personal preferrence when they first arrive. I would be more surprised if one was "perfect" right out of the box.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

9 out of 10 times with a new instrument, it is the nut that needs re-cut.

Remember, they are selling a guitar to a wide market and not everyone likes the same action height. Since it is a lot easier to re-cut the nut than to fill-in a nut, they are intentionally set too high for many players. Sounds like a set-up is in order to include likely re-cutting the nut.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.