1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie wanting to learn

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JayneV, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i know were in teleland...just something about a girl with a Rickenbacker

JayneV, crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my most used booklet is this one.... usually found on guitar shop counters in a rack....

the back cover is handy for the fretboard patterns... there's also a similar alternate tuning booklet that's handy as well..

find the chords for a song you like/know online and start there, learn the shapes and sing along...

guitar is mostly an instrument to accompany yourself singing, at first....

I taught primary school kids guitar, the ones that picked it up the quickest were the ones who wanted to entertain and the guitar was an ends to a means .... I want to sing a song at the end of year concert, kinda kids... soon they were coming in with songs they found the chords for online and sang them or just made up their own songs with the chords I showed them...... much to my surprise usually...:)

chord book 1.jpg

study this and see the recurring patterns where similar notes are grouped together...

chord book 3.jpg

chord books1.jpg

JayneV, crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Thing is...and those things can be a great help...Jayne is making a 4 string tenor electric
    a banjo book may be more help...admittedly depending on tuning

JayneV, crazydave911 and trev333 like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm aware of that... she may want to learn guitar as well.... :)

or use guitar tuning on the tenor?...

5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i suggested that to her and explained how it would work...and shes a smart cookie...she will have that thing flying
    she has experience with violin too...i think with all of us behind her she will outplay us all in a month!
    i think she may well move on to six strings quite quickly once shes away with it

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Hi Jayne,
    You’ve certainly come to the right place for unfiltered opinions. Here’s mine.

It’s not about the gear. I have five dissimilar electric guitars and an acoustic. I can play anything I play on any of them. For starters, a good guitar with a good setup is most important, followed by a good portable amp.

If you don’t have music in your background, find a good instructor who can teach you as much about music as playing. This will add structure to your learning and it will hasten the process.

Books? Read books and magazines. What you read will make more and more sense as time passes. Reread them when you know more.

Which guitar? This is a gear focused forum where there is love for Telecasters. Is a Telecaster right for you? Maybe. Are you petite? A short scale guitar like a Mustang or Duosonic may be a good one to start with. Whose music do you like? Which guitar does she (or her guitarist) play.

The harder you work, the faster you’ll learn. It’s as simple as that and it applies equally to building and playing.

One more thing. It’s your avatar that first caught my attention. Did you create it? You’re quite talented if you did.

7. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

I knew there would be plenty of replies to this thread. This is such a great forum. I have learned so much here and the willingness to share information just keeps on coming. Thank you, you are all wonderful people.

Like most things in my life, I tend to not follow the “normal” way of doing things. I am building a guitar without having a clue how to play. My first violin was a cheap electric, much to the dismay of my teacher. After two lessons I went out and rented an acoustic violin because I couldn’t bare to see her face whenever I turned up with my electric violin and portable amp. :lol: I must admit, the acoustic violin was a very nice instrument which allowed me to feel what I was playing through my shoulder as well as hear the sound. The list goes on and on with my quirky way of doing things, but that’s just the kinda gal I am. My tenor guitar will initially be tuned CGDA. It will be a starting point where I can hopefully use some of my limited violin knowledge to help me progress and then I can experiment with other tunings later.

I’ve watched some YouTube videos on the history of the guitar which were very interesting, thanks for the link @Wulf ! I’d like to find a copy of Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock, sold locally. Amazon was offering a copy for $457 with free delivery!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: I’m hoping to find a copy where the seller resides on earth with a reasonable price tag on the book.

I am still a way off from having a completed, playable guitar, so I’m not thinking to much about learning to play at this stage, but I will keep all of the valuable information here in mind when it is time to play.

@JL_LI, I didn’t create my avatar from scratch, I used a website which had customisable avatar templates and came up with what you see here.

JL_LI, Wulf and crazydave911 like this.
  8. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

See this thread for more info about Melvyn Hiscock and the new edition of his book.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/melvyn-hiscock.1055480/#post-10260355

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.