1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie wanting to learn

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JayneV, Nov 24, 2020.

1. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hi there! I don’t know if I am posting this in the right section so I apologise in advance if it’s in the wrong spot.

I am currently building a tenor guitar and having a great time doing it. However, I don’t know much about guitars, I don’t even know how to play. Reading various threads on this forum, people refer to teles, strats, les Paul’s, etc which doesn’t mean much to me. Are there any good books or websites where I can learn more about the different styles of guitars, their distinguishing characteristics, types of pickups, etc? Also, are there any books on guitar building?

This website has been an amazing source of information with lots of good people willing to help with my build, but it would be good if there were one or two books with most of the information in a single location.

Thanks in advance.
    Jayne

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Jayne,
    Possibly some of what I've written over the past can be of help..

enjoy, it's free, books-1

Ron

Wulf, WalthamMoosical, natec and 3 others like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

if i can help...i will jayne..
    most here are regular guitar players...thats great...your pinkysilver monster is different...im sure me n crazydave...(he isnt crazy at all...dont tell him i said that) can help you work something out...tunings ...chords and like
    were used to oddball instruments with oddball tunings and oddball scale lengths...dont ever be shy to ask..we dont bite...and i think i can speak for us both would be delighted to help you figure that lilmonster of yours
    after the time and effort...and woodworking skills)..i reckon you will fly with it in next to no time

my daughter Sadie...the day before this she couldnt play a note....i offered to teach her..but she didnt seem interested...she is totally self taught..the only help was that guitar was set up by that gifted luthier friend of mine so it was easy for her to play...so well set up you get a chord by blowing on the strings...
    if she can do that by herself overnight...im sure you could

i only wish i could find the other version..Sadie playing a 12 string acoustic with a friend on the 6 string...when she did the one i CANT find she had been playing a fortnight and my jaw did drop...she nailed it ...totally..Sadie was always a Byrds fan...i played her Dylans version Sadie said "Rubbish...i can do it better".....she did

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  5. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Hi Ron. It looks like you’ve put in a lot of effort to write these books. I will start reading them and I’m sure they will be very helpful. Thank you.

Hi Marty, the sweet water website only allows US addresses to be entered so they probably don’t ship internationally. Is the catalogue a paper or electronic version? I might send them an email to see if they will send one to Australia.

Hi Wulf, your daughter is very talented. It’s amazing she can play like that after only one day. Very impressive! I have already received lots of good advice from you and others in my build thread, and I will continue asking questions when I need to. The main reason I am looking for a book or website is to learn some more background knowledge, nothing specific, I just want to have a better understanding of some of the lingo spoken around this forum and to learn what some of the characteristics are of different types of guitars. It’s a bit hard to know what questions to ask when I don’t even know the difference between a start and a take. Lol

6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Two books generally considered as essential to the craft of DIY guitar building:

- The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine
    - Build Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock

History and lore:

- The Ultimate Guitar Book by Tony Bacon
    - American Guitars: An Illustrated History by Tom Wheeler
    - The Electric Guitar by Paul Trykna

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  7. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

Oh this is exactly the type of information I am looking for. Thank you!

Wulf, ElJay370 and crazydave911 like this.
  8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

My tenor, as you know by now was part of a forum wide contest which required a video. My mic and volume sucked and was 150 pounds ago but watch my left hand. I played in the key of C which is only two fingers. You will see most chords I use (was just learning) are progressive. In the old Nashville number system I play 1,5, and 7 and ascending and descending runs in F. Just watch and crank it up so youll hear it. You will have three chords in the key of C. A great deal of great rock music is just,three chords. Believe it or not lol

Dave

Wulf and JayneV like this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Jayne, you'll get lots of good advice from the forum. It might not all be the same but it will all be good.

To learn a musical instrument you need to make a lot of decisions - what kind of music, what kind of instrument, whether to go with an instructor or do it yourself. We have all struggled with this.

Eljay's suggestions for books are good - I always recommend Hiscock's book for electric guitar building. He pretty much covers every aspect of it. Another interesting book about electric guitars is

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...and-alan-di-perna-foreword-by-carlos-santana/

The author's argument is that there are multiple stages in the evolution of the electric guitar where a player, a genre of music and a certain guitar all came together.

Your friends here at the forum are standing by to help in any way we can.

Wulf, JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

11. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Most people usually find out what guitars are played by their favorite guitarists and fave albums and go from there.

There are only 6 guitar types really, if people soften their eyes a bit and stop geeking out on all the various accoutrement(as guys are wont to do...)that are available on guitars.

1) Eponymously, the Fender Telecaster is both the simplest guitar and the sexiest. Guys probably play this guitar 10000 times more than women, but when a woman plays a guitar as simple as this one is, its amazeballs. Teles are very "male" so if a woman plays it, prepared to be hit on alot. :) There is no country album without a telecaster. None. Many roots rock and John Cougar/Georgia Satellites have teles on their albums. Its also great for Jazz and Blues. If you watched Saturday Night live or listened to Hall and Oates. Damn near all telecaster. Like all their hits. GE Smith. one of the best guitarists, ever. period.

2) The Fender Strat. Retro-spacey in its designs, this guitar is on every album, regardless of genre. From the entirety of the Def Leppard Hysteria Album, to Ry Cooder's haunting slide blues, to Buddy Holly. It IS the sound of guitar and if you want to be as sure as you can that you have the right guitar for your music, this is it. Bryan Adams, to Celine Dion. Stevie ray Vaugh, Buddy Guy, eric Clapton, Van Halen,

3) if you are into BB King, freddie king, peter green, or just want a thicker warmer sound, and like the very feminine lines of Gibson, try a Les Paul. Also ubiquitous, its the sound of arena rock, but also very warm and chimey for Jazz if dialed in right.

4)Oddball guitars like teisco, Brian May's red special, Gittler Guitars. These are just odd. very deep rabbit holes. stay away. :)

5) archtop electrics: gretsch... think jazz or rockabilly. Brian Setzer. Some 60's country and earlier like Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed.

6) Super Strats: Ibanez. if you are into prog, fusion, finger-powered pyrotechnical wizardry... these guitars have the most powerful pickups, a full 2 octave fretboard, as opposed to the 21-22 frets for all the above guitars, and typically 2 humbuckers and a single coil pickup. The purpose of these guitars is to slay audiences with Paganini like genius. Think Joe Satriani or Steve Vai, or Tony MAc Alpine, or perhaps the progenitor of all of them, Eddie Van Halen RIP and his homemade frankenstein guitar. Whammy Bar extravaganza.

One can play any of these in any style really, but this is generally how I think of guitars and how it usually shakes out. I was a violinist until i discovered girls. Damn good one too. now I can hardly play guitar, and I still have no luck with girls.

All the best!

Newbcaster.

PS: Pickup Manufacturers: Lollar/Fralin,(classic) Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan(rock and metal) Artec(cheap but powerful versions of the previous)

Wulf, JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Some even less...plenty of 2 chord numbers out there...and single chord drones with riffs to stop earboredom
    Tomorrow never knows...one chord essentially...open..C.with a C7 for harmony with vocal
    a couple of passing phrases...but essentially one chord

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  13. crazydave911

Best two chord song. No contest

Dave

14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

most definately...I couldnt agree with you more...i love their stuff
    ventura is a good one...few more chords...but great for cherrypicking and making a nice slow bossa nova with all those maj 7ths ..
    a little bit of thievery is fine in music...everyone does it

and if 2 chords is too many...can always try a repetative one chord riff trick
    *WARNING...Video Contains Flashing Imagery... Which May Affect Some Viewers*

15. crazydave911

One chord is where I draw the line, like rap music. Two lies for the price of one :mad:

Macrogats, JayneV and Wulf like this.
  16. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

hypnotically monotonous...dont watch or listen if you have eaten cheese...or have a snowy tv screen
    i think they missed a letter from rap too

17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

bagpipe music is all one chord too....drone pipes blaring...melody on the chanter...never sounds right when orchestrated...they start adding chords thant arent originally there
    mind you bagpipes sound like puddytat breaking wind sitting on sandpaper

JayneV likes this.
  18. crazydave911

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wulf likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

rap...a musical idiom created by a Dyspeptic...erm...did i spell that right??

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Hi Jayne, saw your post the other day and I knew you'd get plenty of responses because there are some very helpful and sharp folks on this forum who are always willing to help however they're able to :).

For a brief and quick rundown on different types of guitars from the bigger outfits there is always wikipedia; it's a free open source. You'll get a short synopsis of the type of guitar and it's history, and for the most part, at least from what I've seen, the info is pretty accurate.

For detailed answers to your guitar questions, fire away on this forum. Chances are very good that you'll get answers from folks who have not only played a particular model, but answers from folks who have built their own clone models as well :).

JayneV, crazydave911 and Wulf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.