Newbie to pedalboards please help!

rshxanadu2112

NEW MEMBER!
Hello everyone. I am new to the website here and after looking at a bunch of different threads I can tell that I will be here for a long time!
So I have never been a big pedal person I really have only ever used on board amp effects. I have branched out and want to use more. The addiction is real lol!
So on my pedal board & not currently in any specific order yet are. A BOSS GT-1 effects processor, a BBE-AM64 overdrive BOSS DS1
Fab Flange, DIGITECH HT-2 Chromatic Tuner and a NUX NMP-2 Dual foot switch.
Now I have a couple of questions
#1 is, how do I put everything in order. I know this question is subjective and it's kind of personal preference. I don't have any preference yet because I don't have any experience as said.
#2 is, with the NUX-2 Dual foot switch and the BOSS GT-1, how do I use these so that I can utilize the other pedals without using the BOSS GT-1. I hope that question is clear, considering that the BOSS GT-1 is always powered on.
Any help that you can send me would be greatly appreciated. I am kind of at a loss here because the user manual for tur GT1 is somewhat helpful but then again, it kind of assumes that the user is more experienced than I. Hopefully the picture helps to show what I am working with.
20220421_141318.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome. And yeah, there's no "right" order. If it sounds good it is good. Personal preference is tuner first because my non-scientific belief is that they work faster with a clean signal. Although the dirt won't mess up the ability to accurately capture notes in my experience tuners respond a bit quicker when clean. I personally prefer modulation like that flanger after distortion, not before.
With the Boss multi digital processing isn't as dependent on order.

Here's the rub, all circuits react to all other circuits so if it sounds noisy or muddy try flipping the order.

For every order of 2 pedals someone will like it the opposite of you and that is 100% cool. Have fun and don't stress about it and do not be afraid to mix it up.

Now if you want us to contribute as pedal buying enablers that's a different thread.

rshxanadu2112

NEW MEMBER!
Tbh I dont know what you mean by flange and gt1 in loop.?could you please be a little more specific. I have absolutely never used/had a board so I have no idea what you are referring to. I appreciate your time and advice.

kuch

Tele-Meister
I've always had a distortion pedal, since the 60's, and that's basically all I've had for a long time. More recently I've added:
Keely delay-don't remember what model but it's pretty good
Just added a Keeley compressor-my son told me to get one and it's kinda amazing what it adds to the sound coming out of my amps.
Catalinbread Topanga Burnside Reverb/Tremolo pedal-I've owned a 70's vibro champ for at least 10 years and it finally dawned on me that I should try a reverb pedal. It's ok, but after I got it, I heard from some people that a delay works in place of a reverb pedal. So I've been experimenting with the Delay and the Reverb pedal-not quite settled on it but it's nice to have both of them.

It's fun messing with this sh.... ;)

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Tbh I dont know what you mean by flange and gt1 in loop.?could you please be a little more specific. I have absolutely never used/had a board so I have no idea what you are referring to. I appreciate your time and advice.

I think it meant amp's effects loop. Some amps have it, some don't.

Guitar amp's basic structure is like:

1) Preamp = very "quiet" guitar signal goes in and is being amplified here. So that some of the tricks can be made. Like EQ, little saturation & compression, maybe some internal effects and so on.

**** FX loop is here (sometimes)****

2) Power amp = Preamps signal goes into power amp and is being amplified to another level. We need more juice to move the speaker cone, so that it could go kabooow rooooaarrrrghgh!! Like really move the air to bang player's chest. Or something.. Also in tube amps, more magic is happening here when power tubes are driven properly (flat out).

3) Speaker -> as above

So, in some amps there's an FX loop between Preamp and Power amp. Normally you can find Send (preamp signal out) & Return (signal back in from the board) jacks from the back of the amp.

You can (and should) put most of the pedals in front of whole amplifier, like into normal input jack (fuzz, wah-wah, overdrive, distortion, even everything if it just sounds good). But then some effects, like modulation and time based stuff (chorus, flanger, delay, reverb..) may (or may not) sound better after the preamp, before power amp.

Last edited:

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome! @SbS gave a great explanation. A description/picture of your amp(s) would be helpful for the reason SbS stated, so we know if you have an effects loop circuit in your amp.

and, as @northernguitar said, it’s usual to put your tuner at the front.

Reactions: SbS