1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie to Guitars & Newbie to Here

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Picklew, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Greggr107

Greggr107 Tele-Meister

Welcome to TDPRI!

2. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Well Sarah when I first joined this forum.....I had just picked up my old guitar to begin learning. After a year's time and a bit of knowledge from the guys here on the forum.....well I'm not too bad at this "guitar" thing.

3. Stuart_tate41

Stuart_tate41 Tele-Meister

Fair enough then! I bought a Gibson SG with some inheritance and every-time I take it out it reminds me of that person so its a nice way of remembering someone IMHO.

4. Evansdm3

Evansdm3 TDPRI Member

I say you should go for the guitar of your dreams if you have the cash. It sounds like a beautiful way to remember your grandfather...and it'll mean that you'll love it, care for it and practice

Also - Polly Harvey is awesome

5. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

THIS.

Buy something that you love. It is an intimate craft.

Welcome.

As for the 2011 Rosewood neck, it is different, but not bad. Rosewood fretboards play nicely IMO....being USA neck, it should be well constructed......it's just not old-school traditional as far as Teles go.....but certainly not uncommon.....

Look forward to the future post where you show us what you finally get in your hands :)

6. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

Thanks - as the CT one is obviously alot cheaper (& actually here & now as i know they are hard to come by) than if it had the original neck my thoughts were to maybe at some point in the future search for a maple neck (obviously an American one too)

How would I even do that though - as in who do you go to to get it done properly? I am not in a rush to do this btw, I'm just thinking out loud

I know it will never be as valuable this way but it will be to me & this is a guitar to love & enjoy not an investment.

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

That is the beautiful part of learning an instrument like the guitar. It will turn you onto music that you would of never given the time of day before. Its also good to see that you are going to an instructor. I have been playing on and off for 15 years or so now (mostly off) but a year and a half ago or so I started taking lessons for the first time. I went in wanting to be the next BB King and instead have been turned onto classical guitar. I would never of picked up a piece of classical music if it wasnt for him, and now its pretty much all I play. Tele's are great for classical music as well, big chunky necks make it easy to switch back and forth from electric to nylon :D:cool:.

Anyway, welcome and go crazy asking questions. If it can't be answered here, it probably cant be answered at all.

8. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

This is exactly the attitude! We select our instruments to create music. To that end, if the instrument(s) we use allow us to do that freely, then all else is irrelevant. If our instrument ends up having exceptional monetary value, then that is a bonus. But the truth is, when you find an instrument, if you bond with it-it is unlikely you will ever sell it and its monetary value is irrelevant.

As for the neck, they are always necks available.....they flow like water on eBay and as of this year Fender is selling new replacement necks and bodies. So finding a maple replacement will not be an issue if you desire at some point. US and Japan made necks are usually a safe bet.....but that doesn't mean all others are not worth looking at.....MIM ones can be decent-depends on when they were produced.....there have been times of hit/miss quality there in the past.....honestly, I have a 2011 MIM and it is one of my favorites.....sometimes it's trial/error. While they are simply "bolt-on", take it to a local guitar tech to have it set properly.....find a good one in your area when you are ready.....you'll find plenty of help here to find who's great in the UK.....just ask on the forum (or search....likely the topic has been covered) It might be a good idea to take it to a tech when you first get a guitar too.....make sure it is set up properly from the start......

9. BlackAmpeg

BlackAmpeg Tele-Holic

Welcome Picklew aka Sarah! Lots of great info here.

10. tattooedtele66

tattooedtele66 TDPRI Member

If you have the money left to you....you should definitely buy the guitar you really want as it will always remind you of that person....can't think of a better way to spend your inheritance.....my next tele is going to be a 1966 vintage one...the same year as I was born..and we will grow old together..!!...although it may take the rest of my life to save for it..!!..

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Welcome and do take a tour through all the threads and posts available. There is tons of good and sound advice. You may even spot some nice examples of that Tele you love. There are custom builders regularly posting here that can create wonderful Teles in every color and setup you could imagine. You might even get hooked on building your own.

I'll second the idea of getting a CV first and you may find time to make changes and come up with something very special (except the color(our)).:lol:

Again glad to have you here.

12. BluePaint

BluePaint TDPRI Member

Picklew Sarah. Post three for me here, and Welcome!

As others have said THIS WORLD NEEDS PASSION!

Especially through music, the greatest of all religions.

If your dream (and it does seems the Universe is smiling for them)
    is the ultimate tangerine guitar - then make it so.

I too bought the most expensive Fender available at a wee 16 ...
    before I knew a chord. Because I had passion, and knew what I wanted.
    Merely three months later, I was playing in a band that would go on to the
    cover of Rolling Stone, total strangers, older than I, who all had much
    more experience. I learned a bunch from them, and in a way taught them
    much myself - about passion. It is the Way.

Now, thirty four years later, dinged up, rewired several times, that first guitar
    which I was wisely counseled early to never 'baby' - and to "make her yours" -
    is worth three times what I paid for her. And for that economy she taught me something priceless, which is Music.

We silly modern humans regularly 'consume' thirty to fourty thousand US dollar
    vehicles every five years, and think nothing of it. For a boring car.

As was also stated, a quality musical instrument will last your life time.
    Even when beer is spilled on it, and the tuning machines snap from
    a unplanned wall tumble.

Honor your GP ... honor your own worthiness. But do it with passion.

Ps ... it is funny how so many google searches lead right back to this site, isn't it?

13. deputydog

deputydog Tele-Holic

Welcome!

14. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

I hope my playing is eventually better than my attention to detail - when I put Mick Green as a great player , I clearly meant Peter Green /Mick Taylor ! I thought it didnt look right - I just combined their super playing powers together .... Oh dear i am slowly turning into my mother !

15. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome!

You've got the right idea about waiting until the right one comes along...

Obviously, the reason that some people have trouble walking away from a 'for sale' guitar is being naive about details, or letting a severe case of G.A.S. get to them. As you develop an understanding of what to look for in terms of quality (or defects), and workmanship, you can enjoy doing a short demo on many guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.