1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie to Guitars & Newbie to Here

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Picklew, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

Hello,

My name is Sarah and I am pretty much an absolute beginner in terms of learning the guitar (so please be gentle with me!)

I have, however, already decided that I will be getting myself a telecaster in the not too distant future (...well if its good enough for PJ Harvey eh?!). Thats how I stumbled across this forum as I have become pretty much obsessed with all things guitar/telecaster now - thoughts on models, colours, ashtray bridge, pick ups, Japanese, USA etc etc. my mind is full of pretty much nothing else (although to be fair I'm not sure there was anything of any relevance in there anyway)

I do have one problem however that I have fallen in love with the candy tangerine colour (specifically the USA deluxe model with the binding) FLIPPIN 'ECK its beautiful - I gather they are pretty rare (and no doubt expensive to come by though) .......trust me .

Anyway, I look forward to chatting - and no doubt asking question after question ,after question.

Even though I have just joined I have been lurking and reading the posts for a while now (as everytime I do a search it brings this forum up) so have learnt a fair bit from you already - so thanks!

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Sarah, fellow Brit - wow, you're starting out aiming high. The candy tangerine is indeed a pricey little number.

However, if you hang around here long enough you'll learn how to assemble one yourself for a fraction of the price - although getting the right colour might be a challenge.

3. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

Thanks for the welcome - yes I think the candy tangerine might be the 'to aim for (or dream of) for when I can play a bit better (maybe 20 - 30 years time!!)

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome aboard Sarah.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the marvelous world of electric guitar. Great fun!

6. Casey4s

Casey4s Tele-Meister

Welcome to the TDPRI!

7. doof

doof Tele-Holic

welcome! telecasters become quite the addiction, that's for sure!

8. Stuart_tate41

Stuart_tate41 Tele-Meister

Hi and welcome, If you're just starting out I wouldn't go dropping big money on a guitar until you know your into it for the long haul!

The USA ones are great but try some of the 'Classic Vibe' Squires fantastic guitars for low cost great value! Although I'm guessing you already have a guitar?

9. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

Thanks v much everyone...

Yes my guitar teacher laughed when I said I wanted to choose the colour right as it would be the only one I get.

My ebay saved list is getting pretty full too. There is a beautiful Japanese (92-93) blonde one and interestingly a candy tangerine (Deluxe) I am keeping my eye on but they have changed the neck from a 2002 USA Maple to USA 2011 Rosewood - would be keen to hear your thougts on that?

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

What's your budget?

11. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

For God's sake; buy as crazy a guitar as you can afford...Please don't play it safe.... We have already an overdose of sound advice on this forum.

Buy wildly and follow your passion and tastes....you already seem to know what you want.

Above all, don't listen to us.

12. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

I only have an acoustic at the moment Stuart - my o/h has played the guitar for many many years and been in bands etc so getting guidance from him . He has a strat that I occasionally play but I definitely prefer the teles and after playing a few know this for definite now.

I know I should do the sensible thing & start low but my grampy recently died and left me a little bit of money and I decided I really wanted to get something special with it & not waste it on wine & overdrafts. I thought a telecaster would be perfect and in my head would make me learn brilliantly for my gramps (I can live in hope!)

13. guitarchaser

guitarchaser TDPRI Member

I know I should do the sensible thing & start low but my grampy recently died and left me a little bit of money and I decided I really wanted to get something special with it & not waste it on wine & overdrafts. I thought a telecaster would be perfect and in my head would make me learn brilliantly for my gramps (I can live in hope!)

I think that would be a nice tribute and remembrance of your gramps.

14. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Sarah !!

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

welcome! dont be afraid of the used guitar market.... most of my guitars are used. The only new guitar I've bought in the last twenty years was a pink hello kitty strat

17. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the TDPRI, Sarah! I can fully understand your preference - I too am very partial to the candy tangerine colour.
    If you practise hard and take it seriously, you will be pretty good long before the 20 years have passed. Then you can open your wallet ...
    Enjoy!

18. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!

19. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Welcome, Sarah!
    That's great, having someone around who can help with things like tuning and proper posture and hand position at first is a huge plus. Your o/h can help you find your way at first. Just make sure he doesn't get uppity and decide to take charge of your quest to become a musician and a guitar player! :)
    You know, music is ultimately all about passion. Nobody gets through all those laborious hours of practice and endless failures without passion to keep them going.

You know yourself better than any of us do. If a candy tangerine USA Deluxe Tele is the thing that will get your musical passion going and keep you pushing past the initial discomfort of sore fingertips and the frustration of those early struggles with awkward chord shapes and buzzing notes, then it may be the most perfectly sensible instrument choice for you, even if it isn't necessarily the best choice for most people who are starting out.

My only suggestion is, if you do get such a nice guitar for your first, do take very good care of it. Always keep it in a hard case when you're not playing it. If you're playing it and need your hands free for a minute, set it down on a nice stable guitar stand. Budget for those two things (a hard case and a guitar stand) right from day one - buy them with your guitar. Far too many guitars have been destroyed because they were stored badly or fell over and broke when someone leaned them against a wall.

Also protect it from temperature extremes. Wipe it down with a clean cloth every so often. Keep it in tune and change the strings when they wear out.

If you do these few fairly simple things, that guitar could last you for the rest of your life. And if you ever decide to sell it, it will be worth more because it'll be in great shape.

Good luck with your musical journey!

-Gnobuddy

20. Picklew

Picklew Tele-Meister

What a lovely bunch you are!

I do have a guitar teacher who is fantastic as I couldn't promise that if my o/h was teaching me I wouldn't end up doing a Pete Townshend on him!

I have no doubt that my passion is there (just waiting for the ability to catch up!) I practice daily & permanently have indentations & blisters on my fingers . I've always loved music (Nick Drake, Neil Young, MBV, PJ Harvey, Smiths, Stooges etc etc) but i seriously get such a buzz from hearing fantastic guitar playing now. I have discovered so many amazing guitarists too (Roy Buchananan, Albert Collins, Mick Green - although I know technically not a 100% tele man!)

With regards to teles I'm not going to stress. When the perfect one comes along it will come along. I'm pretty sure (positive) the candy tangerine won't be my first one. It's something to look forward to though eh?

There are some beautiful ones on eBay, both American & Japanese around the £500 -£750 mark that look lovely.

Blimey I've ended up writing war & peace - sorry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.