1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie Tele Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Alan L Cole, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

I purchased a Chinese, maple Tele neck off eBay some time ago with the goal of building a basic Tele, nothing fancy. I'm sorry to ask what probably has been asked many times, but here goes.

1) Where can I get verified plans for a Tele body?
    2) The heel of my neck looks to be in spec at 2 3/16" (end width) and 2 2/16" (fingerboard end), heel length approx 2 3/4".
    3) Overall neck length, nut (plastic) to heel end is 18 3/8", 21 frets.
    4) Tuner peg holes look to be 3/8" diameter.

I've attached pics as best I could of measurements. Feedback on this neck is welcome (I only paid $60.00 for it).

I like maple so I'm thinking of a maple cap on an ash body with a poly finish. I can peruse this forum for the rest (hardware etc).

Thank you kindly in advance - Alan.

Attached Files:

Treadplatedual likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You'll find the most used Tdowns Revision E plan here at post 585 in this thread

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/d-size-tele-body-blueprint-files-here.74504/page-30

The tele neck cavity is 3 inches long and a bit more than 2-3/16 wide at its widest part. I like an allparts neck which runs more money. Your MIC neck will probably benefit from a level and crown but should be serviceable. Get yourself a harbor freight or similar machinist's rule and put the yardstick away...LOL.

Treadplatedual and Alan L Cole like this.
  3. Alan L Cole

Thank you kindly @guitarbuider!

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Ive used a few Chinese necks and generally don't find a problem with them. But double check the thickness of yours, I've had them as thick as 27mm which is over the standard one inch measurement used, and have had to rout the pocket to suit.

And as GB said, you will definitely need to level and crown. Keep us posted with lots of pics of your progress.

5. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Good luck! I'm presently working on my first scratch build, and find it a "learning experience". You WILL make mistakes. However, most all are salvageable.

Much of the knowledge you need is here, albeit hard to locate sometimes.

I recommend the Rev E plans, as Terry fixed a small issue with the angle of the bridge pickup.

When you print the plans be sure to take your new machinist's scale and measure a known dimension to verify that it is 100% of scale. My local Fedex/Kinkos was off 1/4" over the total length.

Buy some books. Hiscox is a favorite, I also like Lospenato and Oakham.

Read some of the build threads at the top of the forum. Be patient, work slowly. Measure, measure, cut.

Q
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-suzy-q-a-custom-telecaster.953131/

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

My only comment is that all of the Chinese necks I've encountered have required a better nut and some fret work. Build your neck pocket to fit your neck, confirm the geometry and scale before you mount your bridge. Have fun.

7. Alan L Cole

Thank you @Macrogats. I have additional pics but was limited to 10 by the forum. The neck is 1" thick max. I'll provide pic as I progress. I'm sure there be plenty of custom fitting. :rolleyes:

8. Alan L Cole

Thank you for the great advice Mr Q and for the link to your build. I'll be following it...and good luck.

9. Alan L Cole

Yeah, the nut looks rough @Freeman Keller. Thank you for your advice. I hope to have some fun doing this.

10. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Subscribed.

I have nothing to add except that this should totally be the picture on your Tinder profile.[​IMG]

Mr_Q and Alan L Cole like this.
  11. Alan L Cole

Well I'm a advocate of Truth in Advertising so there is that.:twisted:

12. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My only suggestion would be proper tools, no short cuts. Especially for level and crowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan L Cole likes this.
  13. Alan L Cole

Thank you @jimilee. It will be a journey of many steps and stages to be sure.

14. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

I used a ton of this guys ideas for builds and some of the homemade tools on my kit guitar. For crown level and polish I made the notched metal yardstick and the fret leveler made out of a 12” level, double sided tape and 800 grit sandpaper. I bought a baroque brand fret file (highly recommend) and polished with steel wool then a Dremel and polishing compound. I’ve done two levels so far and both have come out great.

Alan L Cole likes this.
  15. Alan L Cole

Thank you for more info for my current research and fact finding stages @Gratusin. It's going to take a little bit to ramp up but I'm getting there.

Mr_Q and Gratusin like this.
  16. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Mr_Q and Alan L Cole like this.
  17. Alan L Cole

18. Alan L Cole

19. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

I was considering string through for my build, but just about everything I read online said there’s not much if any difference in tone and sustain vs a hardtail. Seems more like an aesthetic choice.

20. Alan L Cole

If I had a drill press I'd do the string through. I won't be buying woodworking power tools outside of what I have for this project. Thanks for the feedback @Gratusin. I should have some walnut and cherry boards up in the attic that I have to find, for the body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.