Newbie says hello

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Moxoftritonytes, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Moxoftritonytes

Moxoftritonytes TDPRI Member

Hi! :p
    The first time I got in touch with a guitar was at a campfire this summer. A friend had brought along his Martin acoustic and played some nice songs there.
    I was curious about the instrument and he finally let me hold it and taught me how to strum it and play a few basic chords. I was hooked. So I decided to get a guitar myself. Because my neighbours don`t tolerate noise of any kind I decided to get an electric guitar that I can play with headphones on. My friend`s brother has been playing in Punk rock bands and owns several electrics that he wants to get rid of now that he has given up playing completely after getting a severe tinnitus. He showed me his guitars that were all plastered in colourful stickers or taped with duct tape. He`s a huge Clash fan and has a collection of three Strummer Teles from Mexico. Two were already designt to his likings with stickers and spraypaint and one was still mint in the box. He said that it was the guitar he bought one week before the tinnitus kicked in. He played it on his last gig with his band and wanted to paint and modify it, too.
    Then he got ill :cry: . He asked me if I wanted to have it. "It`s excellent for a starter and has a nice 60s sound, just don`t care about the looks" he said. I took the guitar and strummed it a bit. It felt good in my hands. No sharp frets were in the way and the neck seemed to be straight. I asked what he wanted to have for it and he said: "350€, 35000€ if you ever consider playing this thing way too loud like I did".
    I promised to never play it at that noise level and gave him the 350.
    At home I took a closer look at it and found several tools, picks, a tuner and a tiny VOX headphone amp inside the guitar case. The next day I bought a short 3m Klotz cable and a packet of Fender guitar strings.
    Now I have everything together that I need to begin playing. One essential thing is still missing - a good guitar teacher. In my area they`re either booked out or they charge an arm and a leg :rolleyes: . So for now I`m on my own with learning to play. I looked on the internet and found this website and now I`m here, hoping that you guys and girls can help me a bit on my way of becoming a guitar player.

2. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

3. Casey4s

Casey4s Tele-Meister

Welcome!

4. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Youtube is a great place for playing tips. Welcome.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1, and welcome from me too.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about your brother, tinnitus can be horrible, hopefully he can recover from it. Welcome to the forum anyway, it's an ill wind etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.