Newbie pedal what order

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by teleplayer99, May 13, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

EHX tuner has to go first. EHX soul food, hand made booster/sustainer(My brother) with real dirt, EHX reverb, new brand tremolo, and EHX soul preacher. I am done.

Thanks guys for all your help,

Anthony

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Put the tremolo last and the reverb second-to-last. Compressor should come second, right after the tuner. Do whatever you want with the rest. Try some different configs and see how they sound to you.

Good luck.

NoTeleBob and W.L.Weller like this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Boost/sustain
    Soul Preacher
    Soul Food
    Tuner
    Reverb
    Tremolo

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

p.s. You may get more responses if you have the moderators move this to "The Stomp Box" forum. Just hit "Report" in your post and ask them via the dialog box that pops up.

5. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Compressor after reverb is best. You get some nice reverb tail when the notes stop without having it swamp the playing. Actually two compressors are best, one on each end, along with pre & post e.q's.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have trem before delay/reverb. Sounds more natural.

BUT as you can see from the replies, there really are no rules--just guidelines to start with. Try it a bunch of different ways and the one that sounds best to you is the best way.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

I'll start with "whatever you think sounds best".

But, something I gleaned from Josh at JHS was that a compressor should be first. Otherwise it will do just what it's supposed to: quiet loud sounds and amplify quiet sounds. That means it will effectively amplify any noise picked up along the way in the signal chain. That's what leads to people saying "my compressor is noisy".

northernguitar and W.L.Weller like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Try the standard way (wah/comp/boost/od/modulation/delay/verb) and then mess around with other stuff. Putting modulation before dirt can be really cool. I have always found comps want to be first though.

9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Tuner first, it may have precision issues later in the chain if other pedals are on.

Then gain. Boosts are nice before or after overdrives, depending on taste...try it both ways. The sustainer is probably a compressor, which may be noisy and quirky after your drive pedals so maybe it needs to go in front.

Reverb goes before tremolo in an amp, so try that. On the other hand, reverb is about simulating space, so try it the other way. I like trem before reverb, but I don’t use massive amounts of either so the difference is negligible.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Not counting tuner I usually put comp first. Then dirt. Then processing and modulation. And delay and reverb last. But I’d also say try it several ways. Your ears know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.