1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Newbie Looking for the Right Tele/Neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratohacker, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

New to the forum. I've been playing for some time (not that its improved my skills any), mostly Strats and Les Pauls.

I've been bitten by the Tele-bug and I'm looking to buy my first Tele. I've tried out the AVRI 64 and I really like the way it sounds but the neck is a bit bigger than I'm used to (I think its the depth of the C-shape that I'm not used to), that being said I know I can get past it with some playing time.

I've been doing some lurking about the forum and I'm intrigued by the AVRI 62 but there aren't many around to try out. I like the rosewood board, double binding and funky colours.

Is the 62 neck different than the 64? Is it noticeably slimmer than the 64?

I've basically narrowed my search down to these two models but I'm open to suggestions. My main criteria is a rosewood neck that's not too big and American made.

I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't know how it compares to the 64, but the 62ri is really skinny feeling to me.

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

the 62 is thinner than a 64.. you may find that the AV 58 is just right but if you want a Rosewood board that's not for you. Have you tried the 60's classic?

4. Stratohacker

Thanks for the responses so far.

I haven't tried a 60's classic yet but I'll definitely look into them. What kind of neck do they have?

I should say that I really liked the way the 64 sounded, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion regarding the way the 62 sounds.

5. xtrajerry

Lots of love for the 62.. it's pickups are probably the most sought after of pickups installed on production model Fenders. FYI the 60's classic is made in mexico, fine guitar but depending upon your ears you may want to upgrade the pickups.

6. Stratohacker

Thanks for the info. I think I'm starting to lean towards the 62. The Classic looks nice too, maybe I'll make a trip on down to the local music store and try one out.

7. Stratohacker

Another question, did the AVRI 62 come in red? I've seen the MIJ model in red but I've also seen one that states its an AVRI and it has the "Custom Telecaster" on the head stock.

8. xtrajerry

9. Stratohacker

So, they never had a run of red AVRI 62's?

10. xtrajerry

Thought they did must have been MIJ..

11. Stratohacker

Thanks

12. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Yes the AVRI 62 was available in candy apple red from 1999 for a few years, keep an eye out for a used one. I've had 2 AVRI 62's and they are great, as for neck shapes they are all over the place from very slim to medium. I played one of the last ones before they were discontinued and the neck was close to an AV 64.

13. Stratohacker

Thanks, the red one threw me off a little because I hadn't seen it offered as a standard color for the AVRI 62's. I only saw it on the MIJ model. I do like the red and the surf green color.

14. Stratohacker

I just found out from Fender that its a FSR Deluxe ’67 Telecaster based on a 62 Reissue in Dakota Red.

15. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Very nice and pretty rare.

16. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

17. Stratohacker

I like it. There are so many colors to pick from, I'm having a hard time deciding.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.