Newbie BootHill 5E3 build

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Heh, @D'tar , my 'very quiet' amp had a *much* dumber mistake than that. :):)

EDIT: BTW, supertzar, do the checks suggested by @SacDAve and @D'tar before you do mine. And then do my steps 1, 2, 3 before the active trace tests. Quoting Vince Lombardi: Staying sane isn’t everything, it's the only thing. :D

Definitely will follow the guidance you guys have laid out here. I have done @SacDAve suggestion but will definitely check again as it's easy enough and I have gotten a bit frustrated not being able to solve myself, that's just how I am!

@D'tar I'll see if I can get some better res pics up. I have measured every resistor on this a few times. Not sure I've actually checked the tone caps though.

I can't tell how much I appreciate what you guys do for us newbs!!

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Lemme say that guys like D'tar and SacDAve have cured more ills here with their sharp eyes than has tedious diagnostic testing. Heck, if you like figuring it out yourself, good sector-by-sector photos can help *you* see the build with new eyes.

You'll be aware that the 'K' on a DMM can be even sneakier than the multiplier band on the resistor, and some resistors can't be measured correctly in circuit, and yes, cap codes on CDs (and ODs, where that matters) can be way confusing.

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Let me know if these aren't good enough or you need more. Thanks!

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Apparently I wrongly ordered 220R instead of 220K, I thought I was better than that, sadly I even checked them and didn't catch that!

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Heh, I told you sharp eyes beat tedious tests. To be fair, my #3 (Steve Luckey) ohmmeter test woulda found this. But calling Dr. D'tar is a lot quicker and easier. He has fire-and-forget, over-the-horizon, never-saw-it-coming radar vision.

D'tar

Friend of Leo's
Apparently I wrongly ordered 220R instead of 220K, I thought I was better than that, sadly I even checked them and didn't catch that!

If youre anything like the rest of us, do yourself a favor and grab a 1/2w assortment. You'll get those 220k and more to play with!

D'tar

Friend of Leo's
Heh, I told you sharp eyes beat tedious tests. To be fair, my #3 (Steve Luckey) ohmmeter test woulda found this. But calling Dr. D'tar is a lot quicker and easier. He has fire-and-forget, over-the-horizon, never-saw-it-coming radar vision.

Haha, stoppit!

I would say performing the VAC signal trace would still be beneficial before and after the repair! Some of us do these tests over and over as needed. Its good to be able to visualize whats happening when its good and when itz notso good!

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter

If I told you how many times I've done that test, you'd ask what the heck is the guy doing! I guess since my new DVM is auto-range I still see it on K and didn't notice it swapping....

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Update. Ran tests, replaced the resistors, tested again and boy oh boy, it's alive! Sounds great! Now I'm learning the ins and outs of the interactions. I can't thank you all enough for your help so far! My plan now is to get to know it for a while before I consider mods.