Newbie BootHill 5E3 build

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
First time posting here, been reading a lot of build threads and Rob's amp stuff. Bought a BootHill 5E3 kit from Dave and have started laying everything out, would appreciate you checking out what I've done so far.
A couple of things I've done different from BootHill schematic:
1. Moved the 68k grid stoppers off board to their respective Lo input jacks am going to use RG174 shielded cable as per Rob's Optimized Deluxe
2. Add the rectifier backup diodes N14007

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 5e3 board back.jpg
    5e3 board back.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 118
  • 5e3 board from left.jpg
    5e3 board from left.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 5e3 board from right.jpg
    5e3 board from right.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 111
  • 5e3 board.jpg
    5e3 board.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 5e3 chassis fils.jpg
    5e3 chassis fils.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 5e3 pots n inputs.jpg
    5e3 pots n inputs.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 108

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Everything looks pretty good at first glance.

The solder joints on the bottom look a little suspect. I would reflow them just in case.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I see a lot of smart planning and already some good choices.

You can post jpgs inline for easier viewing with drag / drop or the 'upload a file' button.

As an example, and a detail, in this pic, I’m confused about the orientation/rotation of the pots. ???

D4D75111-D05C-47BE-AEEE-672857C8C9F6.jpeg

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter

You can post jpgs inline for easier viewing with drag / drop or the 'upload a file' button.

As an example, and a detail, in this pic, I’m confused about the orientation/rotation of the pots. ???

View attachment 904969
King Fan,
Thought I saw changing orientation of the pots on drawing, looks like I had a big ole brain fart. That orientation won't be good for any troubleshooting/repair later. I'll put back per normal drawings.

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Welcome to TDPRI.

Test fit the board. The ground bus and perhaps the turrets may be too close to the input jacks.
LowerLeftCoast,
I have been and yes it'll be close with the LO jacks oriented as I have them will work on rotating them for better clearance.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know if you can get the wire to cooperate and lay on the chassis like this. Below is a photo of how the ladies at Fender wired them back in the day. I think the tape label says *Lupe* (Lupe Lopez). The picture is from member keithb7 of a 5E3. Of course you are using a modern heater wiring, and shielded wire from the jacks, but the other wires can get some shielding benefit from hugging the chassis.

Something to strive for.;)

upload_2020-4-12_17-37-19.png

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yeah, that’s the goal. In actuality your modern skinny-style plastic-coated wire is gonna be kinky and loopy compared to Fender's cloth wire, which would sit up, lie down, and roll over on command. But look through a dozen build pics with your wire type and practice 'training' it. Even if you can’t be Lupe, close counts here. :)

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
5e3 Pots_inputs2.jpg

View attachment 904969

I've oriented the pots to the layout and re-oriented the input jacks after test fit put the low jack tips very close to the turrets and my ground bus. Do I need to make sure my ground lead off of normal low jack stays off the chassis on it's way to my pre-amp ground bus?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
View attachment 905301

I've got started redoing my heater circuit, ran out of that wire but what do you think of the start? I intend to make it all look like the it does on the right.

I only do Merlin style for the preamp (noval) tubes -- the octals are big enough and busy enough that it's easier to approach from the outside. Does that make sense? To make it nice and confusing, I used 22ga blue & white wire for my preamp heaters. And flew the heaters from the lamp to V4, as you can see.

240C61F3-B01C-47E3-AC1C-30256D49F715.JPG 22A3F4C4-13B9-414A-B4F1-4BDA59ADA4FE.JPG

Supertzar

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
If I understand the question, yes, your ground bus should in theory not touch the chassis on its way to the input jack. Ground is ground, but you want just one path there.

That's exactly what I wanted to make sure of. Thanks!

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
The heater wiring looks good. The last 5E3 types I built had the heater wires come in above the 6V6 sockets and from there went to the chassis like you have yours now. I guess it was sort of a hybrid. You have options.;)

This is not a very good picture of the heater wiring but you can get the idea.

DSCN1429.JPG

mountainhick

Tele-Meister