Newbie Bass Search

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Pualee, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

I'm in the early stages of searching for my first bass. I want a bass, a cab, and a "amp in a box" to drive the cab. This "amp in a box" would also be used on stage direct to the PA. Versatility is always my first goal. I like to buy good quality, and buy it once.

I'm partial to a P bass, maybe a Jazz. I don't know much about anything bass related - so I need an education. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but still getting good quality.

By comparison of my price/quality values - I usually look to spend $400 - $800 for a new instrument and related gear. I did this for keyboard, electric rig, acoustic rig. Quality and versatility are the most important things. I don't care about "bling".

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Squier Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified Jazzes and P Basses are very well respected and should do you a good few years. I'd suggest finding something used if cost is a factor.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife plays bass, so as a guitarist like me, it was important to play a bunch of different ones to learn about scale length, weight, and sound. Also, what kind of music do you intend to play with it?

4. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

At home, music style can vary a lot, but for playing out - it would be for church - so music style can vary there too - mostly pop/rock but also hymns (modified classical music).

Obsessed likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

$800 total cost is a tight budget, but "do-able".....look for a used Fender Squier P-Bass (preferably MIM or MIK.....about $300 or less) a used Peavey 1X15" cabinet ($150 or so) and a bass head....I bought a new tc electronics 250 watt bass amp for about $250- 300, I think) This would bring you in around $700-800, and with good quality stuff. Invest another $50 in a set of flatwound strings, and you're ready to go. Good luck.

Pualee likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You can't go far wrong with a used MIM Fender P or J. Squiers generally have good bones but cheaper electronics and hardware. This might be a problem for you and it might not, they vary pretty wildly from year to year.

Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Totally nailed it!

Matthias and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Can’t go wrong with a p bass...classic sound

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Ibanez and Yamaha have some very good basses at lower prices too.

I’d try to put as much into the amp and cab. That will get the tones.

The Trace Elliott ELF is a nice 200w compact head with DI out.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

If I can assume that you already are a Fender Telecaster fan, then I would recommend a Fender Mustang P/J Bass.
    It is a short scale which makes the transition from guitar to bass easier and, I believe, it also sports a P pick up that Fender uses in their full scale Ps.
    Good luck!

11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

got a Fender Player Series P last week..it is stupid good...the pickups are classic P with a lil..tiny lil more juice available...motown- rock..spot on..It records spot on in the mix..there is 5 Buttercup (2).jpg American P basses here & we are blown away by this thing..the neck..quality..whole package

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

D46029EF-BD5D-4BCB-A4E5-998AEF00F579.jpeg I recently purchased a MIM Mustang and really liked it. As someone above posted, its a great bass for someone transitioning from guitar. The short scale really makes it comfortable. The only downside is the heavy strings on a short scale.

I decided to bite the bullet and go to a big boy bass so I returned the Mustang and got the new Players Series P Bass.
    I am glad I did. Very comfortable neck and classic tone. It was only a little more than the Mustang. I also like the simplicity of the single pickup.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Mim jazz w 60's Custom pickups..found it cheap. into it for $400 after pups, pots,,way worth the pickup swap..the necks is best i ever played Jazz (2).jpg it has the midrange grind & speed...this with the player series has the studio covered for sure

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

So true. After my VM Squier bass experience, I wouldn't recommend one unless it were the Classic Vibe. If you get any of the lower models, see it as a fixer upper.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

6E351A42-ADCC-4737-8714-39DDB7C26041.jpeg If you like Jazz basses (like me), you might consider a PRS SE Kestrel.
    I have 2, and love them!
    They go for around $500 used, about $800, new.
    The have great Hipshot hardware, neck through construction, and neck binding.
    Here’s mine.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    erratick and nojazzhere like this.
  16. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

So bassic information (see what I did there):

1) P bass - generally neck width at the nut is 1.65 or 1.7inch- so thick-ish. Neck profile can make it feel fuller or slimmer. It also has a pickup that is humbucking and has a classic sound.

2) Jazz bass- neck with is 1.5 inch. Generally a slimmer neck. Two single coils- cancel hum when both are volume up, but may hum with only one pickup- some modern pickups eliminate this.

Any genre of music has both basses on famous tracks. So try both styles. You can get P-basses with the jazz neck (a fave of mine) and you can put a Pbass neck on a jazz (probably not as common).

Strings- round wound - bright tone- sometimes buzzes - classic Chris Squire's Yes bass sound depended on these- many Rock and funk sounds depend on roundwounds. You can kind of roll the tone off to sound duller. Strings dull with time.

flat wound- duller tone - smooth touch - R&B and early rock records have this sound. Many classic records have flat wounds.

Weight-

Even light basses are heavier than almost any conventional guitar. So a heavy bass can be a pain on a long gig.

Getting a good strap can help distribute the weight, but it won't relieve it completely. Don't use a guitar strap unless you hate your shoulders.

My point with this is play a few basses if possible- figure out what neck styles you like, what sound you like, and what weight you enjoy.

In Fender land the tiers go:

Squier -> Fender -> custom shop in order of expense.

The Squier and Fender lines are further subdivided.

VM and CV Squiers are well thought of - they are on the higher end of the Squier line - mostly made in Indonesia or China. You can score these at good prices used. I gig a VM jazz often.

Fender has Made in Mexico (MIM) and Made in USA (MIA) lines and then custom shop at the highest end. The MIM basses can be every bit as good as any other. Made in USA usually have attention to detail and often the best resale. Both can be scored used- but MIM is often a steal used.

There is also a MIJ/CIJ made in Japan and crafted in Japan Fender. And a few squiers from Japan. Many are quality examples of instruments.

I have VM Jazz, a MIJ (Made in Japan) jazz, a MIM precision (with a jazz neck) and a MIA precision plus (avatar pic). They are all great. Which one I play depends on if I want flats or rounds (I have one of each type strung with each type of string usually).

The one that plays best is usually the one I've done the most recent setup or maintenance.

Pualee likes this.
  17. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster bass in vintage blonde out there ,
    just saying ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.