newb non player wants to build a "Jaz" guitar for Jaz sax playing son

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bruceruth1988, Jan 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You do realize this is the Tele Home Depot, right? This is where we come to BUILD guitars, not buy them. Who cares if he knows anything about guitars or building them yet? He's here to learn. Should we be discouraging that? I didn't know jack about how guitars really worked before deciding to build my first one. Now I've built 39, some of which have sold for 5 digits at charity auctions.

If you don't think the work is worth the reward, then by all means, go buy a cheap guitar. No one's trying to talk you into building one, but let's not discourage someone who's legitimately interested in learning.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    E-miel, goonie, DrASATele and 2 others like this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I understand this completely. My son plays guitar, I have built three for him and I hope that he plays them. My daughter does not play guitar, I built her one anyway. It is a very girly guitar, a small bodied acoustic with lots and lots of bling, the inlay is her spirit animal. She has talked about taking lessons but hasn't and frankly I don't care. She has the guitar, can pass it along to her daughter if she wants, for me it was a special project and I'm proud of the results.

It also means that there is a guitar living at her house for when we go to visit - I get to take it out and play with it.

Tele907 and crazydave911 like this.
  3. bruceruth1988

bruceruth1988 Tele-Meister

bingo

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Well said

RogerC likes this.
  5. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

I don't care who builds or doesn't. He says son wants a guitar, but doesn't play. Sketchy target of ""Jaz' guitar. OP given resources which he has ignored (Hiscock book, suitable even or especially for a fella with no or limited knowledge of guitar parameters) which as far as I can tell, has been ignored.
    A) Every player I know has started with a entry-level instrument, and moved up later.
    B) Builders build because it's great fun, not necessarily bc your son asked for a guitar. Getting the Hiscock book or otherwise amassing fundamental facts/knowledge to begin building is, IN MY OPINION, a better way to proceed rather than asking for piecemeal information and advice which cannot be contextualized, evaulated or instituted due to an overall lack of framework of lutherie knowledge.
    C) For being such an accomplished and prolific builder, you sure let Freeman do the heavy lifting.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps you missed this post where he said he checked out a different book. And maybe he's enjoying and getting more out of the interactions here. Now let's address your points A, B and C.

A: Nice. However, it's completely irrelevant here. Also, I'm sure "every guitar player you know" doesn't account for every guitar player's experience.
    B: Good point. However, not everyone learns the same. Sometimes folks just jump in and see what happens. There are several different learning styles, you know.
    C: Not sure why the ad hominem. This is an irrelevant point to the conversation, but I'll address it. I didn't realize this was a competition. I wasn't under the impression I was obligated to jump in on anything. Also, people like Marty and Freeman have a lot more experience in different styles of guitars, including acoustic and LP styles, so they have much better advice to offer than I do. I apologize if you were looking for something more from me. Let me know if there's anywhere else you'd like me to chime in. I'd hate to disappoint you further.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

You win. Enjoy your day.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Roger has a long history here...maybe not in this particular thread, but if you search for his posts and threads, you'll see he contributes. That's what people do here contribute...some more than others.

crazydave911 and RogerC like this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Each of us builds guitars for our own reasons. I completely understand Bruce's - they just aren't necessarily mine. I've been a little harsh with Bruce a few times but I want him to be successful and I'll do anything I can to help him. Those of you who know me know I'm a a crotchety old man but I want people to succeed.

I have a couple of slight advantages here - I have two very good jazz playing friends who let me work on their guitars, I have built a couple of instruments that you might recognize as "jazz guitars" and I noodle around with all these chords with big long unpronouncable names. I have also built a lot of different styles of guitars and have a slight understanding of how semi hollows and hollows and archtops and chambered and all these other things work - I've done them. And last, but not least, while I purposely do not use cnc in my shop, I come from the world of industrial computer aided manufacturing and I understand how it works.

If Bruce keeps muddling along and asking all the right and wrong questions I'll keep helping him in any way I can. I feel an obligation, I invited him to this party.

crazydave911, RogerC and Asmith like this.
  10. bruceruth1988

Freeman, you have never been anything other than a complete gentleman. I thank you and all the other helpful posters from the bottom of my heart.
    The neck came yesterday. Plugging along.

crazydave911 and Tele907 like this.
  11. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Okay, post some pics of the new body!

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Okay, for one, why do you care. It's not your business. If he wants to build a guitar, let him.

If you're complaining about how long the thread is, then don't click on it, pretty easy.

Let him be.

13. bruceruth1988

as soon as I cut it.

14. bruceruth1988

Thinking of going with this for the neck pickup.
    Maybe this for the bridge??
    Your thoughts please?

crazydave911 and Tele907 like this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  16. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

I don't really get it...Why would anyone try and discourage anyone from wanting to build something (as long as it is not a pipe bomb)? Especially in a world where so much of what we buy is disposable and mass-produced?

The problem-solving one has to go through when designing and building a guitar is not disconnected from other mechanical challenges. One learns a great deal about materials, planes, what it takes to fit the elements that make a guitar a guitar in that limited volume, etc. And after all, we are Homo Faber just as much as Homo Sapiens, for god's sake.

With regards to building instruments for non-players...Two years ago I built a guitar for my older brother's fortieth birthday. He had played a little bass but no 6-string. He now plays for one or two hours a day, every day, despite being a busy guy. I didn't build him a 'fancy' instrument, but it still plays and sounds better than any beginner's guitar he would buy in a store. I don't see the harm in that either. He says it prevents him from wanting to buy another guitar in the hope it will improve his playing. And even if he hadn't touched it at all, the pleasure of building something for him would have sufficed.

Bruce, the vast majority of people here are not tired of giving you a hand in your endeavor. Ask away and keep going! :)

17. bruceruth1988

I ordered the pickups, tuners, electronics, pickup trim rings, screws, springs etc today. When it comes I can make sure of the pickup pocket placement and depth. Then I will cut a test out of pine.
    See you then.

crazydave911 and Asmith like this.
  18. bruceruth1988

damn forgot strings. Looking for suggestions for flat wound strings for beginner.
    Thanks

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

Regarding strings, I would suggest "10's", those are like the average of average, and I think 9's are too light. Maybe that's just me, but most people play 9's or 10's. 10 is the guage of the high E string (the thinest string). Here two good ones:

This is what I use, and this is a great deal right now:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball/2221-Nickel-Regular-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3-Pack-1300744180614.gc?rNtt=ernie ball regular&index=17

Yes, the lower strings are a little thicker than an average set, but its totally fine, and theoretically ring out (sustain) longer.

Next, another great brand/type is: Elixir

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Elixir...PTIWEB-Coating-Light-010-046-1500000036543.gc

yes, they are a little pricier, actually a lot. But, they may last longer, so if you find a value pack of (10 - 46) Opti-web Elixir's, get it. Not to say that the Earnie Balls are bad by any means, in fact, they are very comparable.

Have fun, and don't worry about flat-wound stuff right now, let your son figure that out as it is all a preference thing. Maybe you should make a guitar for yourself too... ;). You do you.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. bruceruth1988

I know it has been a while since I last posted. Got a paying job in the shop so that took priority.
    I finally cut a full prototype of the top.

upload_2021-2-26_15-42-19.png

upload_2021-2-26_15-43-39.png

upload_2021-2-26_15-44-12.png

It is just plywood at the moment.
    What do you think?

Thanks for any feedback.

Fendereedo, Tele907, PingGuo and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.