New Zinky-designed Supro Tremolectric Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobbyk, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

Does any one play one or have taken one for a test drive? They look interesting and the sound samples of some of the other Zinky designs sound pretty good.

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

It's supposed to be the "new improved Fender Vibro-King", and amp Zinky designed for Fender, but apparently Fender cut corners on for cost reasons (and it's one of their most expensive amps!)

I've been interested in the Tremolectric for awhile now, but have never heard a soundclip or seen a demo of any kind. And I have yet to meet anyone on a forum who has owned one.

3. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

They are hard to come by. There's a small number of reviews around the net if you Google hard enough. I saw one on EBay early this year. That's the only one I've ever seen on Ebay. I almost bought it, but I just don't need that big an amp.

4. ruger9

Recently one was on ebay for less than $1400, and it had not one bid. If it was 20-30 watts instead of 60, I'd probably have bought it myself. I just don't need that much wattage. For YEARS Fender fans have been begging Fender to make a "Vibro-Prince", but to no avail.

And no, the CVR is NOT the "VK's little brother", despite what Fender says.

5. CancerLeoCam

CancerLeoCam Friend of Leo's

I think the 20-30W range is well covered by the DRRI and that may be a reason they don't want to put anything out there that will compete against it.

Dunno, it's the main reason why I won't build anything around 20-30 Watts.

You can take a larger powered amp and bring the power down by tube substitution -granted the tubes can handle the B+ voltage and are biased accordingly.

CLC

6. ruger9

The problem with that logic is, the DRRI sounds nothing like the VK.

7. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

There's a guy with a Tremolectric for sale over on fenderforum. No relation or connection.

8. Qrious

Qrious TDPRI Member

I'm not sure how your search turned out, but I actually own a Tremolectric.

If you love the Vibro King, you'll also love the Tremo. The Tremo is a little more versatile than the VK, IMO. I actually had mine made with a blue tolex rather than that brownish/beige that it comes in. I couldn't stand the looks of it when I test drove it, but I loved the tone so I spent an extra bill and had it customized with the blue tolex. It looks 100 times better, IMO. Everything else is stock.

If you're looking for headroom, however, look somewhere else. The Tremo breaks up pretty early. But if the VK is what you're looking for, this is a less expensive alternative. Plus it's designed by Zinky, the guy who designed the VK for Fender. The Tremo is an improvement on the VK, IMO.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  9. ruger9

Yes, the trem on the VK is opto-coupler based, whereas the trem on the Tremolectric is tube-bias-vary. I prefer the latter. Zinky probably wanted to do the tube-bias vary trem in the VK, but Fender told him "no" because of cost restrictions (just a guess.)

10. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello Bobby,

I have a 2006 Tremolectric 3X10" and absolutely love the amp and its versatility.

Cheers,

R

11. fuzzchuck

fuzzchuck TDPRI Member

can anyone get into details of how the drive channel sounds???? and how much headroom the clean channel has???? I'm really considering getting one of these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.