1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New WW TS 52s with HB but anyone else hate the color?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andoris, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wildwood has gotten a new shipment of their American Vintage Thin Skin 52 Teles in Butterscotch blonde- one version has a Roasted Maple neck (their second batch of these) and the other has the normal color neck BUT include a SD humbucker in the neck.

I would immediately buy one of the humbucker ones but what is with the color of the buttercotch blonde? They look terrible imo... Also you'd have to call and ask to find one a lighter one and a 2 piece body, because the one's they have listed are over 8lbs and 3 piecers

Anyone agree on the color being shyte?

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-usa/american-vintage-thin-skin-nitro/

2. 50hz

50hz Tele-Meister

Yeah I mean those are in Squier territory color wise. Which is a shame cause the specs are great.

3. Andoris

Exactly

4. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Dig the sound of that HB

5. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Horrible color.

6. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

I like the Black and the Vintage White.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That body color simply doesn't work with the non-authentic (but otherwise cool) roasted maple neck. IMO the builder must choose one or the other. Not both.

The thing that Wildwood does that's truly awful, is something else. A "Vintage White" so yellowed it is strong yellow - then they put a dark, obnoxious Mint Green pickguard on there. Yellow with Green, is disgusting. I don't care if some guitars ever came to appear like that, it is still to be avoided at all cost.

FMIC has some soul searching to do. Rosewood isn't going to be anything close to dark chocolate color again, and maple necks are not often going to be wanted in a virginal white bread color. But Fender's traditional, beloved body colors need necks of these colors. IMO they don't work with Pau Ferro, don't work with pale rosewood, and don't work with roasted maple.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Miami Blue would look great with roasted maple.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. Andoris

Agreed completely.

The 2012-2017 American Vintage (Pure Vintage) had the best yellow version of BSB IMO. As soon as the AO's came out they went back to the more amber or pumpkin-ish-sometimes color and those have leaked onto the WW Thin Skins, such a shame. Also why roasted? no one asked for that. This roasted batch is their second batch of 50 in the last 2 years. Why not alternate?

Give me a proper BSB and white neck anyday of the week, see pic below. (It's how they used to look)

Attached Files:

50hz and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I would be happy with that butterscotch + the roasted maple neck. To my eye they go well together, but they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I do wear glasses!

11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

The natural neck color looks like NOS, but the body looks well aged. The two do not go together in my opinion. I don't mind that neck on a blonde finish with lacquer that has a mild amber tint, like 50s blonde furniture, like Leo intended. But that school bus yellow color is awful with that neck, again in my opinion.

90-1.jpeg

12. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure how accurate the colors are on a little image on a computer screen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.