New word Rant

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
Would you prefer "Excellent" followed by an air guitar riff?

Dude! Most egregiously.
I think “like” and “at the end of the day “ are hopefully on their way out.
So, like, when it’s all sad and done bar the shouting?
I haven't heard perfect being overused so am fine with it.

The ones that really piss me off are 'compete' as a noun in sports talk (ie. he has to raise his compete level); and 'floor' being used when it should be 'ground' because they are outside.

There is another one that relates to turning lights on or off, but I cannot remember it at the moment.
Olympic ‘journalists’ here talk about medalling. As in ‘he’s hoping to do well enough he medals’. The Australian swim time medaled in the water’.

Grrr

colchar

Friend of Leo's
Another one is seen in the (primarily print) media when in headlines they name a country instead of using the adjective or collective noun.

For example - "France Terror Attack" instead of "French Terror Attack" or "Terror Attack In France"; "Canada Election" instead of "Canadian Election" or "Election In Canada".

This is a trend over the last ten years and it drives the English professor in me up the wall. I can kind of, sort of, maybe understand it in print when it is done to save on the cost of ink but when it is done online???

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
Indeed!
Why can’t people just say “groovy”?
These kids today!
Hey, what about "BOSS"? I've tried bringing that back.

As in "Man, that guy's new GTO is really BOSS."
Or "You got a guitar from Woolworth's? BOSS. Let's start a band!"

Also, as far as this "perfect" thing goes, there is nothing worse than hyperbole.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I started a new job last October. I immediately noticed everyone saying "perfect" all the time. I thought it was weird. Didn't get it. It seems to be tapering off.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
For me (heard a lot in my household, and elsewhere) it's "absolutely" ... no big deal, really, but:

"Could you let the dog in?" Oh absolutely."
"That movie really stunk last night." "Absolutely."
"That word 'absolutely' has been driving me crazy." "Oh absolutely!!"

How I miss the good ol' days of 'yes', and sure' ...