New vs. Used AV52 RI models

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fuzcaster, Mar 7, 2017.

1. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

had many 52ri go thro my hands over the years none of them ever had a thin neck build quality of all of them was very good colour veried from year to year and all of them played very good once set up

Mountain Jammer likes this.
  2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Me too.

I've typed a BUNCH of stuff about various 52RIs - do a search in TDPRI to find past threads where I've described the differences between the 3 variants (1982-1997, 1998-2012, 2012 to date) of US-built 52RI Tele.

As regard neck thickness, the '82-'97 '52RIs had the thinnest necks, '98-'12 were thicker and '12-date has the thickest necks of all, but even these aren't as big as a Custom Shop '51 Nocaster neck.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

May I lend you some punctuation?:D

t guitar floyd and oldfish like this.
  4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

tijnies you could indeed lend me some of your very finest punctuation.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like he's got an extra colon if you need one of those

Mountain Jammer likes this.
  6. Mountain Jammer

Mountain Jammer TDPRI Member

Nitro on the body is thicker on some of the older ones, FWIW.

7. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

why would I want another colon

jondanger likes this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Well played. Hoped you'd take the bait. Guess you can teach and oldfish new tricks.

9. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

you sure as hell caught me there jondanger well done hilarity prevailed all the best oldfish :lol:

10. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I have a 1993. It was mint when I picked it up last year. Great guitar!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got an FCS circa 2006 No-Caster plus a number of a variant on the Middle Generation '52 (the 99-2011 type) and I would say the newer '52 has a neck that's marginally larger than the Middle Gen ones but decidedly less girthy than the hefty No-Caster neck. But. There's special versions of the No-Caster from FCS with various smaller necks so watch out for that. Also, the finish on the 2012 and newer '52 is pretty similar to the finish on the Fender Custom Shop guitar.

I would just shop for any that are '99 and newer and just buy the one that makes you smile. But one thing: The ones 2011 and before have Vintage Wiring Scheme so if you want a guitar with a modern 3 way switch that hasn't been modded to get it like this, you should prioritize the 2012 and newer ones.

12. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2008 pumpkincaster I love. I sold a 2001 for it and came out a few hundred ahead. The only thing I miss on the newer one is that the original pickup switch maker quit making that switch somewhere between the two. I miss the authoratative clack it made.

13. Fuzcaster

Fuzcaster TDPRI Member

Thank you for sound advice. I was playing a CS Nocaster the other day and had a fun time with the blend knob but didn't play it long enough to know if I would feel limited without the modern wiring. What is your take on the nocaster wiring vs modern?

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

As far as looks and "accurate" specs I like the new ones a lot better. I really never dug the borderline orange neck with thick butterscotch body when brand new thing and I also recall doing some scraping of the heavily pooled lacquer on the frets, I owned one for a few years though, think it was a '99. The new ones have a natural & lighter neck finish and a pale yellow color off the shelf, also, they seem to darken up after a few years.

That said, the old ones are fine players. I'm surprised they don't offer AVRI's with a 9.5" option too but I'm not complaining.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What I need to do is force myself to pick up my FCS No-Caster and attempt to play the very kinds of things I'd play on a Tele with a modern 3 way. The blend feature is in a way both different from any of the AVs or modern wired Teles and also a sort of transition between them. I always get lost down the rabbit hole playing the No-Caster in ways I just tend not to play a conventional Tele. I have NO idea why it doesn't appear on one of the many MIM models. Maybe it is just that different from what the vast majority of students and players are used to finding.

Fuzcaster likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A guitar is only new for the first day, then it becomes used. I like used and use the money saved to make changes (pickups, bridge, saddles, etc) which you know you will want to do to some extent. There just hasn't been an "off the shelf" guitar yet that was perfect when new.

My vote goes to which ever one you get for the best price. That is the winner.

Fuzcaster likes this.
  17. Jordan M

Jordan M TDPRI Member

As others have already stated, the chunky U neck of the '52 Reissue Tele makes for a better playing experience if you have experience or can adapt. You might find it improves your playing technique from a tougher to play guitar than a flat fretboard.

Its vintage status comes from the simple nature of its build and components, so you need to be sure that's exactly what you're looking for (which it sounds like you are).

Fuzcaster likes this.
  18. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

What you're describing is the sound that a spring-loaded, CRL switch makes.

It may be that the 2001 had a 3-way CRL switch, whereas the 2008 has an Oak Grigsby switch, which doesn't have the spring.

Next time you have the control plate inverted, check the switch for a sticker that says: "51992" - that's an Oak 3-way.

If you want to return to the days of "authoritative clack", buy yourself a genuine CRL 3-way switch.

bo likes this.
  19. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Classical guitars seem to have the top E moved in a bit, and I assume that is to allow for easier pull-offs without losing the final note.
    Your comments on Rickies is interesting. I always wanted one (Fireglow 330) until I tried one and found the neck to be painfully narrow. Such a pity as I like their looks and sound...

20. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Depends on what you call chunky. My 2003 52ri neck wasn't thick enough for me, I put on a aftermarket fat neck. The 2012 and newer necks are enough thicker that I like them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.