1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New vs Old Fender CuNiFe WRHB vs The Creamery

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Zacateca, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

Very nice comparison. Loved all of them but surprisingly I thought that the new CuNiFes sounded better than the vintage.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The creamery? They got started using threaded alnico magnets supplied by Telenator. I'm surprised the guy making this video didn't use a set of Telenator CuNiFe pickups for a more meaningful comparison.
    The new Fender pickups sound like they're wired to 500k pots in this video. Nice tone, but lacking the shimmer of 1 meg pots.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been watching some of these recent threads about this.

I got pretty curious after listening to this...

Sounds like a Tele.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

He says all 3 guitars have 1 meg pots and 0.022 uF cap.

radiocaster likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

This is a pretty good comparo - but there's still a couple quibbles from my perspective.

I'd prefer there to be no effects on the samples at all - there's some chorus or flange as well as reverb or delay. There's also three different guitars which isn't such a worry except there's three different bridges. The vintage ones attached to the solid mounted bridge are a little more direct-sounding to me, but it might even be down to pickup adjustment - which is fairly important.

Having said that - all three are nice sounding pickups. The Creamery are fine. Both WRHB are articulate but just a tiny bit of grain and texture to me. That Deluxe is a nice guitar.

Golem likes this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Would like to see the Mojo Tone ones added to the comparison...and for this to be done on the same guitar, with both clean and naturally pushed tube amp tones. Online demos never have anything close to the tones I use...and it's not like I consider my tone particularly unique.

Anacharsis likes this.
  7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

PLAYBACK city :lol:

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

yeah... unfortunately 3 different guitars doesn't do the test justice; the subtle difference we hear could easily be from that, and not so much from the pickups (altho I'm sure the pickups are of course playing a roles as well).

FWIW, I liked the new Fenders the best, they were the roundest, and my feelings have always been "I can ADD treble, but taking it away can sometimes get difficult", that has been my experience over 35 years of playing, anyway. As Dave Grissom says "I'm always running away from too much top end" (and yet I picked the TELE as my #1 guitar?!?! LOL)

Had to edit: depended on the pickup position, and the amount of gain. Cool comparison, but I feel like it doesn't do me much good at hearing the differences. Really need the same guitar. (not a criticism of the tester, I appreciate the effort... I just know that the same pickups sound different in different guitars, so different pickups will certainly sound different in different guitars)

Telenator likes this.
  9. Telenator

Thanks. I missed that. It was late and I was looking at this on my phone. Must have been the guitar's contribution to the sound.

I think the new CuNiFe pickups sound great. I was a little surprised by this particular demo.

10. Telenator

Agreed. The video was most effective at showing these are good pickups.

11. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Creamery sounded better. None of the versions of WRHB in the video sound as lively as when I've heard them in a vintage custom or custom deluxe tele.

12. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

None of them sounds bad. The vintage ones sounded a bit brighter in the top end with a bit more low end.

13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks for this a/b/c comparison. Still on the fence about getting the Fenders...

14. ruger9

man, I'm not on the fence at all... if I had a thinline to put them in, I would have ordered already!! I sold my Squier 72VM because it simply wasn't a great...enough... guitar, compared to my others. So NOW... rather than spend $1200 on a Fender 70's thinline, THEN ANOTHER $400 on pickups, I figure I'll just wait until they finally release a 70s thinline WITH the new CuNiFe pickups... I'm in!

15. SbS

SbS Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice to see a good comparison! There are always other variables like guitars, but this was still the best comparison I've seen.

I try to be careful making assumptions, but after several listenings I was hearing some be more openness and clarity in vintage Tele?

All were real nice though. Can't wait to have a CuNiFe Tele assembled. Although just now I don't have a real amp at home to get everything out of it... but later.

16. ruger9

I might end up ordering a Warmoth body, just to get a set of these new CuNiFes... depending on how long it takes Fender to come out with a production model.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I dig that tele!

18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

they sound similar in that clip but yeah totally clean would have been nice-heck I think it would have been good to throw a Mexican tele deluxe in there too

19. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Telenator is "the" Cunife humbucker expert, as I recall he said that there were variations in the original models. I know that I owned 3 different 70s Telecaster Deluxe models way back, and out of them only one really sounded great to me, the others were ok but that one was special, I wish I still had it!

ruger9 likes this.
  20. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Fuzzman is funny about that. It's hard for him to keep it clean, even for a straight pickup comparo.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.