1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Vox AC15 Rig Build + Plans

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sbroom, Jan 7, 2019.

1. sbroom

sbroom TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

I've been sort of a fly on the wall on this and other forums for a long time. I built a Vox AC15 into a Head and vertical 2x12 cabinet based on the multitude of information, and I just thought I'd share.

First, I have been playing through my Vox ac15 for a few years now. I changed out the speaker I bought it with for a Celestion Gold Alnico. I love the sweet alnico sound, and it's worked well for the styles I play; blues and classic rock. Recently I determined that my single notes sound too thin I also determined my bottom end wasn't tight enough (also on my amp's sound;)). I decided it was time to beef up my tone a bit, to have bigger sound on the table for when I want it. SO, after much research, I designed a Head+Cab combo for my AC15:

I decided to reduce the footprint of the 2X12 cab and improve the lateral sound distribution by making it a mesa-style upright. I decided to use my Gold Alnico and a Greenback, with the Greenback on top.

I'm a cheapskate, so I picked up regular interior-grade birch cabinet plywood. I used 3/4" on everything but the baffle and the top and bottom of the head. My plans used two 2'x4' sheets of 3/4" and on 2'x4' sheet of 1/2" (see my plans at the bottom).

I decided ahead of time that I wanted side handles on the cab and casters, and that I would install the input inside one of the handles. I also decided to stain at first, rather than cover with tolex, but to smooth the edges and corners such that I could at tolex and corner protectors later if I wanted. I left the baffle partially floating in the corners. I'm glad I did!

For the head, I wanted to modify the amp panel as little as possible, but I've always been annoyed with the control panel being on the back/top of the amp, so the solution: roll it forward so the controls are on the front. That does run the tubes horizontal, but I understand that unless the tube manufacturer specifically says the tube has to be upright, it's ok. I have not seen any ill effects. The other issue is that the outputs and the power chord come through the top. I considered re-routing them, but then decided to h*** with it, and cut holes in the top. I did relocate the ohm switch to the bottom/back to make it accessible. I lined all of the areas of plywood near the transformers and the tubes with 2 sheets of aluminum foil to protect against head.

I did all joints simple, with screws and glue. I used finishing screws and countersunk them. I filled the holes before I sanded. You can't even see them now.

Here are some pictures and my plans I made to work from (Next post)

stnmtthw likes this.
  2. sbroom

sbroom TDPRI Member

Assembling the cab
    [​IMG]

The cab and head assembled
    [​IMG]

Marking 11" holes for the speakers
    [​IMG]

Painted baffle, checking fit
    [​IMG]

Putting the amp together (upside down) to check fit
    [​IMG]

after final sand, Staining
    [​IMG]

Added side handles, and put the input in the right side as you face the amp, to match the side of the output on the amp
    [​IMG]

Assembled!
    [​IMG]

Put in speakers, wired parallel (soldered!), and covered ~70% of the back, vertically
    [​IMG]

Plans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I loved the sound, but ended up deciding the Greenback wasn't keeping up with the Gold Alnico enough, so I sold the Greenback and just ordered a G12H30. Hoping that adds the low end I want, and balances the Gold!

AAT65 and edchavez like this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic — and slightly bizarre (in a very good way!). Nice work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.