"New video" of Tom Waits - Interview October 1979. Very nice

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Thin white duke, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

This video has just been uploaded, for those who loves the great old Tom have a look...

schmee likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

awesome Schtick. love the rocking and the artful (but self conscious use of the cigarette) notice how his voice cleans up 2 minutes in... a more normal voice... you do get this is a TOTAL put on, right?

3. Thin white duke

Yes. very true....
    Sorry, who is Schtick or it means something that i don't get ? :):)

4. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

some kind of autism maybe you know ?
    Then Tom is the kind of character who might be pulling your leg, and you notice that 2 days after when you think about it and go, this is pretty much unlikely. Of course there is a slight chance it might be true. This is what makes him, him.

I remember an interview but couldn't find the link, where he explained that dead ringers were rings that people who were buried alive might use in case of being buried and not so dead.

I don't really know the truth in that, i guess it is tom having fun, but you know.... Maybe ???

Interesting character. We need more tom, more country dick, more mojo nixon, more hasil Adkins, more whoever is fun and pulling your legs and make you think.

Looks like the greatest liars make the most interesting stories. In a good way.

5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don't know if you are being serious here, but since you are from italy, a schtick is a part of someone public personnality which you might find interesting.

If you knew that, i suggest you are a member of the great liars, and start a career in showbiz.

6. Thin white duke

This is the right way to write it prof.

Personality

johnny k likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Here's his other singing voice. I was going to say his "normal" singing voice, but didn't want to open a fire door.

getbent likes this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wonderful interview. Thanks, really enjoyable.

9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Takes 2 n's in french. My bad. Thanks for pointing it out. I will try to remember that.

Thin white duke likes this.
  10. Thin white duke

Thanks, glad you like it.

11. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Thanks...didn't know it was alla an act.

12. getbent

Yup. I remember this Tom. He was like Mike Nesmith... I dig that he found a way to use a persona for a whole industry, but it is sad that people can't appreciate it for what it is and BELIEVE that that is actually 'HIM'...

I love the early stuff and I loved the nighthawks performances... like a great one man play... but just like Billy Bob isn't Carl, Tommy isn't 'Waits'

13. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Wow, that is a lot of rocking/self stimulating going on there.
    I suspect he may be a very high functioning autistic. What used to be called asperger's, before they rolled it in to the Autism spectrum.

He keeps it up for most of the 20 minute interview, though it slows and stops periodically. If that's an act, I don't understand the point of it. It is awkward and exhausting for a neuro-normal person, but for an autistic it's how you make it through the day.

He's also an act, as is every great story teller.

getbent likes this.
  14. getbent

like the gravel voice, the rocking stops once he is done establishing the persona... I have seen Waits many times, the rocking thing is TOTALLY a put on... He isn't autistic or aspergers or a drunk... none of it. He is an amazing musician, songwriter and performer and the 'persona' has provided a career.... but it ain't HIM.

ricki lee jones tried to be the girl Waits, and kind of created a style that several emulated for themselves, but that is a delicate dance for a woman in our culture...

15. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

It's shtick by the way.
    Not schtick.

No snit.

16. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

He rocks/stims through the entire interview.
    Tends to stop when he finishes speaking, then as the interviewer winds up his question, Waits begins softly rocking again, as he's formulating his answer, and he's fully rocking once he starts speaking again.
    I just checked several places in the interview all the way through the end. He does it for 22 minutes.
    END.

17. getbent

I appreciate the correction!

shtick
    /SHtik/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    INFORMAL
    noun: schtick
    1. a gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc. associated with a particular person.
      "there are many great comics who have based their stand-up shtick on observational comedy"
      • a person's special talent, interest, or area of activity.

18. getbent

Have it your way. I don't wanna mess up a faith based belief. The whole gravelly thing is him imitating his uncle... he was never a big drinker either, that is totally made up and I don't think he has had a drink in the 30 years... he grew up as a regular kid in Whittier, his parents were both public school teachers...

as I said, I've seen him in person several times both in his act and in normal social settings... no rocking. In social settings no gravel voice, no drinking...

I was pretty good friends with the actor Carroll O'Connor... in person, he wasn't anything like Archie Bunker... heck, he had an MFA from University of Montana... no accent, no bigotry... very bright, very well read..

oh well, to quote Michael Keaton in the movie about hookers and the morgue 'that barney rubble, he's some actor.'

19. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

He rocks throughout the interview.
    That is unarguably true.
    I agree that his shtick is an act, and I said so above. Every great story teller is an act.

My high functioning autistic person does not rock all of the time. Sometimes he does. Waits may be HFA. Maybe not. Maybe so. Independent of his act, which is definitely an act.

I am an act too. We all are.

20. getbent

watch the interview with letterman...

there is no claim nor diagnosis that Waits has any disease related to autism or aspergers... I guess the world is a mirror... in my mirror, facts and having seen things in person up close... informs me of what is 'real' and what is imagined...

watch the clip, then like schtick... just kind of own it... if you can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.