New version of roadworn 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sonny wolf, Jan 6, 2013.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I was on the Davesguitar.com and Sweetwater.com sites and noticed they have updated versions of the blonde Roadworn 50s Teles.They now come with a single ply black pickguard instead of the previous white one and there a lot less relic'ing on the bodies compared to the older version that had a heavy relic that was very similar on each guitar.The neck however still has the same stupid wear pattern where the middle of the fretboard between the 9th and 12th frets it is still fully lacquered but the rest is all worn out which makes no sense!!!Despite not changing that detail they do look great however.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/TeleRW50BLD/MX12304059/MX12304059-body-large.jpg

2. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

I've seen the light relic second generation, but I don't remember it having a black guard

3. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

:lol: at that fingerboard wear :lol:

4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Well, honestly I love it!

5. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

That is so much more to my taste. the neck is still goofy looking. Would it be possible to apply tru-oil to the worn out areas on the fretboard? Or do somthing to even it with the rest of the fretboard?

6. schonb251

schonb251 TDPRI Member

You'd really need to pull the frets, get the finish uniform and refret. It's really hard to work with the frets on.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Just got my 2nd one couple weeks ago from Nstuffmusic, body barely shows any relicing. Still has the same aged white guard which I happen to prefer. Wonder if Sweetwater is doing a special run or maybe just used the wrong photo. I tried to look into the changes at Fender.com but they don't even have the 50's listed.

The other difference/improvement is that the fret work is much better than my first.. Neck pup also sounds better but who knows, I don't use it much.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am going to speculate:

They're using up the white pickguards and the "Silly-Wear" necks and once those are gone, the guitar will evolve into a beautiful swan.

Think about how many of these they THOUGHT they were gonna sell. I bet these necks have been in inventory, waiting for brighter days.

9. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That neck is ridiculous. I could do a better job with spit and sandpaper. But i wouldn't

11. xtrajerry

It may not look great new but it's a pleasure to play and it ages up pretty quickly if you play every day.. The 6105 frets with the 7-1/4 radius IMO are a perfect match...

It's absence in Fender's 2013 line up seems odd since they seem to move fast. I'd been watching the used market and if they were priced right they seemed to get snatched up. The one I traded in at my local shop was gone in a couple days, they ordered some more and moved them pretty quick too.

12. ES11

ES11 TDPRI Member

+1. The neck sure is a pleasure to play.

13. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

I have an early 2008 model and the neck is starting to show some wear. I put nocaster relic pickups in it and that tele can twang with the best of them. It truly is a poor man's nocaster....especially with the nocaster relic pups. Now I will search ebay daily for one of the new/less relic'd bodies to surface so I can build a 68' style tele with a rosewood neck.

14. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Neck looks just as terrible as ever. But now the body isn't worn nearly enough to match the neck. The hardware is way over done for a body with that little wear too.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

15. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

16. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ~ no doubt, my #1.

17. nickurso

nickurso TDPRI Member

image-759911770.jpg

I've had mine redone changed from a 7.25 radius to a 9.5 radius on the finger board(better for bending) and the fingerboard re-sprayed. Hard to tell from the picture.

18. xtrajerry

19. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

A thousand dollar guitar and you get a gig bag to carry it home in.:confused: I'm thinking the only reason they don't give you the option of paying an extra fifty bucks for a hard case is that they don't want you to know how little it would cost them to make it available.

20. xtrajerry

Hope you didn't pay 1k for it, I prefer the gig bag.. takes up less room..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.