New Type of Craig's List Scam?

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
I've gotten 2 scam emails in the last two days but I can't figure out how the scam works.

Here is a weird example of one of them. "I need this. Is it still available to buy? I don't check cl mail , so email me [email protected]". There is no mention of the thing I have for sale and that is always a red flag.

I right clicked below his text and I found this invisible message below the visible message. "I've done this 2X already, piece of cake, but truck in shop. 2 strap downs and "red" warning signal flag and done. Very short transport, like 25 mins. My buddy and I will do all the lifting (aluminum, not heavy at all!), your driving ONE-WAY and you go home, after 25 min drive and we load n unload for 20 mins, so for 45 mins total I will pay you $50.00 CASH same day! No B.S.!" How is it that the invisible part only appears when I right click on it? Both scam emails have secret text below the visible text.

It is easy to ignore emails like that but I am curious about the invisible text and how the scam works. Any ideas?

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
The invisible text could be to throw of the spam filter somehow to seem like a normal message. I think that I had a similar one that said something about not checking CL email but deleted it and don't remember beyond that. They just might be looking to get a reply and start sending more spam.
I like your idea of the invisible part trying to fake out spam recognition bots.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I agree that they're trying to harvest emails to sell or use for spam. That's specifically what the cl relay is there to prevent (well, one of the things) and they're trying to circumvent it. Fairly mild as far as scams go but still annoying and dishonest.