1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Twang King set fitted to my American Deluxe Telecaster

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AmDlx, Jan 28, 2019.

1. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

Ditched the N3 noiseless pick ups in my Am DLX tele, and fitted a Twang King set along with an Emerson 4 way control kit. Also lined the cavities and the rear of pickguard with aluminium foil and grounded it all. The upgrade went well a few little problems....OAK Grigsby bottom contact pin was shorting against the foil...had to bend it in a bit and slip in a bit of card to insulate it...worked well, then couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get the bridge pick up to turn on....found that i needed to elongate the slot in the control plate for the switch as it couldn’t throw into position 4. Once that was filed out 1mm more it was all good to go. The guitar now sounds like a whole different animal. The Twang Kings are in the same ball park as the Twisted tele and Broadcaster set in my Am STD tele very very similar. The twang king bridge is very close to the fender Broadcaster ...not much in it really, I would say I like it more. The twang king neck is stratty just like the Twisted tele but with a little less bass and a slightly lower output. Very happy with the Twang King set. Much much better than those N3s that came with the guitar. A couple of low points... On dismantling the guitar the string bushings all fell out bar one and there was no ground wire fitted for the bridge.. The guitar with all its grounding now is much quieter than it ever was even with the N3s. The grounding but was a pain but well worth it.

CFFF, wblynch and RL52 like this.
  2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I thought that the deluxe models had shielded paint in the cavities...

3. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Good choice.

Did you add tone cap.
    What size?

How low/high the pickup heights.

AmDlx likes this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

DiMarzio Twang Kings are my favorite pickups of what I've got so far. I have 4 teles with 3 different brands of pickups, the TKs are my favorites, like I said. Oh, and I have a 4-way switch in the one with the Twang Kings.

It's good to hear confirmation of my own impression about those pickups. I have likened the TK neck pickup to the Twisted Tele before in other threads. Glad to hear someone concurs. As for the TK bridge, I haven't played a Tele (to my knowledge) that has the Broadcaster, I'm glad to know that the TK bridge compares to that.

AmDlx likes this.
  5. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the TK neck pickup is outstanding for that open, hollow, bell-like tone.

AmDlx, zippofan and LGOberean like this.
  6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I've noticed a lot of people on YouTube etc pair the Chopper T bridge pup with the Twang King neck, I am wondering what they sound like compared with the TK n+b.

7. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Post deleted due to redundancy of OP already knowing the information.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Yes i know about him using them

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

AmDlx likes this.
  10. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

Sadly it had no shielded paint...and it didn’t even have a ground wire going to the bridge either..but the channel for a bridge wire was there at least.

11. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

I wondered the same thing..and RK was a hero of mine in the 80s.

12. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

The Emerson 4 way kit had a 0.47 paper in oil cap fitted. The twang king set on the 1st position of the 4 way switch with both pick ups running sounds pretty decent. Pretty close to a humbucker.

13. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

Yes I played my AmStd and the AmDlx back to back for over an hour and tonally there was not much in it. Just a tad less bass from the twang king neck than the Twisted Tele neck in my Std. I still need to play the twang Kings thro my Marshall cranked a bit and will when I get the chance. I tried it on a lower volume setting and it sounded good. On my fender hot rod mk ii it sounded perfect...even better with my ep booster on (that little booster goes well with that amp and really fattens up single coil pick ups) I think the twang king bridge is really good....there may well be better out there but I’m happy enough with it. The right amount of clarity and power. I had it down to 3 sets...the twang Kings, Twisted Tele Set and Texas Special Set. The blurb from fender said the twisted tele bridge had a dash of Stratocaster in it....well on the neck that’s fine but I definitely didn’t want a stratty bridge. The Texas specials sounded like they could be too dark. Heck even at one point I was considering a set of Toneriders Hot Classics....they seem to have a big fan base round here. I’m not a price snob and if they sound good who cares...!!

14. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

Very bell like yes. I never even heard of Twang Kings until I discovered this forum.

15. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've seen several telecasters without ground wire to the bridge. In principle, the bridge pickups ground wire is grounded to the baseplate, which connects to the bridge via the 3 pickup mounting screws.

16. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Love the Twang King neck. I have it with a Lollar Special T in the bridge, and a Tex-Mex in the middle.

17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Based on a friend's Tele with a Twang King set, I'd say that you made a great choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.