New TV Jones pickups in my Gretsch

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CalebAaron666, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Gretsches are great guitars. The Japanese made Fender sponsored Proline guitars are as nice as anything that was made in the New York factory. For years I owned a '66 Country Gent and it was nowhere as nice as my 2006 6120-1959. If you keep an eye out reasonable proline Gretches show up used. The Electromatics are nice, but if you decide to upgrade everything you get within a couple of hundred bucks of a good used proline.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  2. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I have two Electromatics and a Streamliner. I have a 2005 5129 electro with DeArmonds, a 2622t Streamliner with TV Classics, and this 2018 5420t. All are awesome playing, feeling, sounding guitars.
    Someday I’ll experience a Pro-line.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. CalebAaron666

No doubt about it. I’ve literally invested within a few hundo of a used proline.

4. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I’m curious what you think of the TV Jones as I bought that same guitar from a Sweetwater about a month ago. I like the blacktops , but am curious how the Jones sound. As you said the Electromatics are great guitars and I’m thoroughly impressed with mine. I usually buy the high end stuff , but love my 5420tg 59.

5. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I have a 5420t and switched out the blacktops for a Classic+ and a Super'Tron in the neck. I was going to sell the guitar before swapping the pickups, but now it sounds so darn good I'll never get rid of it. With the blacktops, there were only a few styles and positions that sounded good. With the TV Jones pickups, this guitar covers a very broad range. I can play jazz on it, or get some deep twang, rock in all styles, or bright and clean. I love this guitar. If I didn't feel so at home on a tele as I do, this would be my only instrument.
    I kind of want to build a cabronita with the left-over blacktops, but then I'd want to buy TV jones for that guitar too...

6. CalebAaron666

Such a beautiful guitar, right?! I love mine so much! I’ve done quite a bit of work to mine (new nut, Sperzel locking tuners, vintage bigsby, rocking bar bridge clear pickguard, fancy truss rod cover, and now pickups), but it was a great guitar out of the box!
    So far, i’d say the TVJ classic plus in the bridge gives off a lot more heat. Super bright, but without the ice pick. I find it to have stronger output than the blacktop. And I have more definition in the notes and chords.
    The TV Classic neck pup is smoother than the stock BT. Rounder? The middle position sounds okay, but I never play with both pups with filtertrons. I do with my tele. The middle position with filters just ain’t my sound.
    All said, i really liked the Blacktops, but after playing them live in stage with my band, I decided I wanted more cut.

budglo likes this.
  7. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Thanks. I don’t really care for the middle position either. I was really surprised how low output the blacktops were. So for the time being they will stay . I ended up cleaning up the nut , so it stays in tune really well ,but I’m not a heavy Bigsby user. For the money it’s a great guitar.

8. CalebAaron666

Have you raised the BT’s? I brought them up real high.
    Without pressing down on fretboard:
    Bridge pup 4mm below strings.
    Neck pup 6mm below strings.
    Made a big difference.

9. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I did raise them . I measured them yesterday and they are about 5mm on both the neck and bridge pickup. I will raise them some more and see how it sounds. Thanks.

10. CalebAaron666

I love it! My 5420t is a FORCE now. It was already a nice guitar, but now she’s a sex machine!
    I sold my blacktops already to a friend before I even took them out. I don’t think i’m going to miss them.
    I was considering putting a filtertron in my tele, but decided to keep it standard with some tele noiseless pups.
    After I started playing Gretsch guitars with bigsbys I HAD to put one on my tele too. I can’t play without a wiggle stick anymore!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.