New TV day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Dec 15, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I finally entered the 21st Century and replace my old 27" CRT TV with a 28" LCD TV. I almost blew out an O-ring moving the old TV into the garage, it has to weigh close to 80 lbs.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

still have 3 crts tvs...one is like yours...27in and weighs a ton

3. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You went with a 28" LCD? My computer monitor is bigger than that! No offense meant but, how far do you sit from the TV when viewing?

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I bought a new TV on Friday. It's amazing how good the images are now, especially a Blu Ray. Now I really need to upgrade the sound system

5. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

We have one CRT left around here at about 35" in a wood cabinet that must weigh hundreds of pounds. Can't give it away and it works perfectly with great sound,-twin tuner picture n picture..yea great.

Makes me love these new flat screens if not for the weight alone but the picture quality. The sound kinda stinks though.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

20 years ago we bought our house and grabbed two identical big CRT tv’s from Circuit City. One for main floor and one for the finished basement .

Last year the upstairs one cooked and we went to Best Buy to get a flat screen with a max budget of -

$1,000 ! :lol:

WhAt nimrods we were !

The guy at the store said - do you want 3 or 4 or what ?

We had no idea...:lol:

with a replacement plan it cost us less than $300 for a 43” .

nojazzhere and FenderLover like this.
  7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

We got rid of a 40” Sony Trinitron last year-weighed 300 lbs. 55” flat screen now.

String Tree likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I dragged my old crt tv out into the shed about 11 years ago and it's sat there ever since. Too heavy to move and I don't want to pay to dump it.
    One of these days I might just dig a big hole in the backyard and push it in there to bury it.

The image is great on the new TV's. There's just not much worth watching being broadcast anymore.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Scooter91 and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I finally got all Flat Screen TV's and Monitors a few years ago.
    Back in September the Wife and I treated ourselves for our 37th Anniversary and got a 65" Samsung 4k Curved TV. They had them on sale for $750 to move them out. The 8k QLED models are here now. I remember seeing this TV 10 years ago and they were $8k, now down to $750. Gotta time it just right.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Looking at the Sony version of an OLED..good reviews..even thouigh the screen
    is built by LG, it gets better rankings than the LG

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Zepfan likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My son and daughter-in-law love doing Black Friday...sent them out a couple of years ago with $350 and they purchased a nothing fancy 52" (I think) flat screen at Walmart. It was a significant improvement over the 32". Wired it to the stereo for better sound. I do still have a 13" crt TV on the porch, but haven't used it in years.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Modern tvs aren't made for great audio. Companies make them lighter and less expensive by using weaker speakers and expect consumers to buy external equipment for sound. Or maybe Samsung and Vizio reps have just been trying to sell more soundbars. Either way, that's the line those folks pitch.

I'm impressed by the fact that as resolution hype goes up, cost of tvs of not the latest nonsense goes down. 4k means nothing if your source isn't 4k. I used to have to explain to people why they didn't need a 4k 32" tv constantly. 720p to 1080p is fine, screens so small its unlikely you can see a difference. 43" and up, its relevant. Video game enthusiasts were easy hype bait for 4k, but all 3 main consoles right now dont do 4k out in thier standard models, only the PS4 PRO and only a few games go out in 4k. Nintendo Switch? Not even designed to care, best selling console.

I remember "big screen " tvs back when everything was CRT being a big deal, but a 55" costs from $100 to $300 now, depending on deals. Times are a changing....

I'd love to see statistics on how many people buy and then return 75" TVs when they realize they're too big for the room they were bought for.

rcole_sooner, stormsedge and Jerry J like this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

When my son was first married, they had a huge 50ish" tv in their little apartment...I'd ask him if they were using it for heat. (He was not amused).

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

It's going to be confusing when 4K and 8K make it up to 18K and 24K. Guess that will be the "golden age of television" .:cool:

ReverendRevolver and geoff_in_nc like this.
  15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Soon, you will be able to make love with a hologram projecting into the center of your living room; like Princess Layla.

16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I also have not bought into the 4K ... even for PC gaming. 1920x1300 (or whatever) is great for my gaming needs.

I use 55" flat screens for my PC gaming and bedroom home theater needs, and a 71" for the family room home theater. The new 71" is almost 2 heavy for 1 person, but the 55" are an easy 1 person lift. I have an older 54" Sharp flat screen in our bedroom that is so heavy, 2 people can barely lift it.

Hmm, no pics of our current family room.

Game room PC setup, with 2 PCs and 2 monitors, or my main PC across both monitors. Lets me play alone, or wife and I can team up in coop mode on games.
    [​IMG]

Chunkocaster and uriah1 like this.
  17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I live in an old house and the spot for the TV is in a corner and is only around 27" wide, the new TV fits so it got the job.

18. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gotcha

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.