1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Tuner Pedal Polytune or Boss TU3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vanzant, Dec 9, 2013.

1. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've had all three mentioned so far. The TU-3 is the best. The Polytune I had worked in the daylight too, but flashed back and forth between poly and single too many times. Maybe they fixed it with the V2. The pitchblack worked good only for night gigs and the Sun washed it out on day gigs.

2. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

I have the polytune mini and wouldn't trade for any other tuner at this time.

3. yahooer21

yahooer21 TDPRI Member

I use the Polytune, i bought it about a year ago, before they released the latest version.

My Polytune does emit a high frequency, but only when you hold down the switch, if you tap normally everything is good. I use PP2+ to power it, and it works great. Previous to my purchase of the pp2+ I used a powerall daisy chain. When you touched the pedal, it would amplify that sound through the amp, even when the pedal was engaged. For example, if I kicked it, it would thud, if I flicked it with a fingernail, it would tick.

I bought the Polytune over the Tu-3 because of the super simple interface, also i've always been under the impression that Boss uses low quality buffers. Not to say i'm a true bypass snob, but if i'm going to have a buffer, i'm going to have a high quality buffer.

just my two cents.

4. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I use the TU-3. Has never skipped a beat for me.

Have never used any other tuning pedal and have no desire to. YMMV

5. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What about the Turbo Tuner? This pedal looks like it doesn't take up too much space either? Overall, the Boss looks the biggest, but has a good reputation...However, I am really looking for something that is easy to use and takes up minimal space, so now I am thinking either Polytune, or Polytune Mini (not sure if it runs on batteries), or the Turbo Tuner. any other thoughts?

6. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

It doesn't.

7. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

I got the Polytune Noir and have had no problems. I love it. Can be a pain with 12 strings but that's why I got the TU-2 is for my 12 string Tele

8. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

TU-3.

Reputation of Boss and personal experience with the TU-2...several hundred gigs for me without a single problem. Also when I'm on the stage and the bullets are flying, I prefer a big square Boss foot switch over a dainty button style switch like the Polytune appears to have in that picture.

9. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    TU-3. I had two TC Electronic Polytunes that ended up broken within a year. Boss pedals are much more durable in my opinion.

10. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I don't like how Boss uses little dot do designate a # in chromatic mode. I don't care for the small display. Polytune is not really that much better.

I've been using Planet Waves Tru-Strobe for sometime. I like the display. Being able to see it is a big consideration but but as blind as a bat.

Between the 2 choices I would probably try to adjust to the Boss display just for the buffer.

11. spider62

spider62 TDPRI Member

I swear by the Sonic Research tuner! A bit more expensive though.

12. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Since the Turbo Tuner didn't work out for me as a live tuner, I guess it's down to these two for me as well.

Maybe I'm just looking for a better version of the TU-2. I've been stomping my TU-2s for many years now and can't seem to destroy them. I love the switch format of the BOSS as kill switch, and am figuring out that I'm not crazy about any other kind of switch for tuner/mute. Plus, while perhaps less accurate than some others, the TU-2 seems to be less finicky with my non-guitar instrumentation than others I've used.

Leaning heavily toward TU-3 at this point, but not ruling out Polytune just yet.

13. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

for the 2, I would prefer the BOSS TU-3 due to the reliability and switch. I read several issues with the TC Electronic's cheap switch...

Currently. I'm using the Korg PitchBlack and it is very VERY good. I like that the the display is very visible and switch is silent. very affordable too

14. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

Best tuner I have ever owned. Before that I had a Boss. I just don't feel like arguing about it. It is a tuner for God's sake. It will tune your guitar.

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Who's arguing? It's a discussion forum.

To be totally honest, I've always thought tuning guitars was easy pickin's. It's some of the other stringed instruments I use live that have presented challenges with tuners. The only one that hasn't been wonky with any of my instrumentation has been BOSS TU-2. Certainly my Peterson Strobostomp and Turbo Tuner are more accurate than my TU-2. However accuracy alone is not the only factor in determining a tuner that's a good fit for people in the entertainment business.

I just bought a new TU-3 and it will go to its first job tomorrow night. I'm probably going to pick up a Polytune 2 early next week. I'm going to get my live tuner thing sorted out, and if that means the TU-2, that's fine. If something more accurate is the ticket, that'll be gravy.

16. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Has anyone tried one of these? They look pretty promising for the money!![​IMG]

17. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I have heard that this pedal was noisy also.

Go for the TU-3 - I own two and love them. No problems.

18. Jhw58

Jhw58 TDPRI Member

Boss TU3 here...never had an issue and always reliable

19. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Traded my Boss for a Polytune; I like the display better in brighter light. Don't use the "strum all the strings" to see what's out of tune; I play bass. No bypass problems, probably because I only use one pedal - the Polytune.

20. ChigginPiggin

ChigginPiggin TDPRI Member

Sorry for hijacking but the TU-3 can be used as a pedal power source. Is this something to consider when choosing a tuner?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.