New Tune

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
Here is a song I wrote and recorded in my home/hobby studio. My friend is doing the lead vocals on this one

Spent way to much time mixing it and just wanted to share with some folks on here. Thanks!

And if you’d like to check out my latest diddy, feel free. Nowhere near as refined as yours. I did it using my looper like a regular, linear recorder.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Wow, man! Niiiiiiiice!

1) Love your friend’s singing. Very nice voice quality and a nice capture of a nice vocal performance.

2) Percussion sounds were spacious and mixed and panned in a way that seems to create depth and felt like it was pulling me in. Additionally, at about the halfway mark in the verses I was thinking “now a ringy snare or timbale sound is going to come in and crank up the energy” and instead a low soft fat kick (or soft cajón slap?) sound came in with those double hits, also cranking up the energy but in an unexpected way. That was cool.

3) The lead guitar playing was subtle and restrained and tasteful, and the playing approach and tone seemed to vary from section to section just enough to keep it interesting without screaming for attention.

I envy your taste and restraint, and admire your creativity and musicianship in this thing. Nice work!

Eastbound71

TDPRI Member
Wow, man! Niiiiiiiice!

1) Love your friend’s singing. Very nice voice quality and a nice capture of a nice vocal performance.

2) Percussion sounds were spacious and mixed and panned in a way that seems to create depth and felt like it was pulling me in. Additionally, at about the halfway mark in the verses I was thinking “now a ringy snare or timbale sound is going to come in and crank up the energy” and instead a low soft fat kick (or soft cajón slap?) sound came in with those double hits, also cranking up the energy but in an unexpected way. That was cool.

3) The lead guitar playing was subtle and restrained and tasteful, and the playing approach and tone seemed to vary from section to section just enough to keep it interesting without screaming for attention.

I envy your taste and restraint, and admire your creativity and musicianship in this thing. Nice work!
Thanks so much for the review my friend and thanks for listening. This is one of my first attempts at mixing/mastering a presentable song. I spent many hours tweaking all the tracks and mixing. Seems like you got the vibe I was going for. Makes me happy to hear this!

There is a subtle kick drum coming in and out that you mention. It kind of helps drive the bossa nova feel without being too overly aggressive, which was the intent

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
one of my first attempts at mixing/mastering a presentable song
Impressive first effort! If you would like more critical analysis and comment on the mix, I encourage you to post this over in the Recording in Progress forum. Some great ears over there. Some of the folks will name the post something like this, to get attention: MIX CONTENT: name of song.
Like other commenters here, I think the musicianship on this track is awesome. Well done!

MountainGal

TDPRI Member
Thanks, much appreciated! I am using Reaper and have been learning it for a couple months now.
Cool. I’ve been using Reaper for years. It’s a deep rabbit hole, but you can go as far as you want. And of course, Kenny’s videos are the best part of the deal.

Eastbound71

TDPRI Member
Cool. I’ve been using Reaper for years. It’s a deep rabbit hole, but you can go as far as you want. And of course, Kenny’s videos are the best part of the deal.
Thank god for Kenny! He has helped me out more times than he he knows

I'm currently attempting to write and record songs in various genres to get a better handle on song writing, recording, mixing and mastering . The song "I cry" is supposed to be my version of a Bossa Nova tune

Just finished the instrumental parts of a hip hop tune and handed it off to the local young guns to do the raps. Anxious to see what they come up with. Hoping to follow with a reggae song, then bluegrass