1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New tubes needed?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Veltek, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

My Mesa Boogie is like 5 years old now, but pretty lightly used/played. But It is popping/clicking when it warms up. And when it is turned off/cooled down. Also if I don't let it warm up enough between using it and playing it, it will power off and back on (by itself) momentarily, then continue on fine.

I am just curious as I've never had this big of an amp, or an amp for this long. Is this just a symptom of needing new tubes? or possibly a larger problem at hand.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

That off and back on thing is concerning .

Modern tubes should be able to last longer than 5 years of light play, and typically bad tubes are going to have issues other than the intermittent things you described.

I'm no expert, but those aren't typical bad tube problems.
    Generally, let it warm up for a minute or 3 from off to playing. But it shouldn't power off then on.

3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Yeah, so If I let it warm up for about 5 minutes, It wont power off and back on. But the tubes will still kinda pop, crackle and klink when i turn it off for like 5 minutes, in random intervals.

I don't notice anything redplating back there. its just crazy. Otherwise still sounds good. no bad smells. no weird buzzing or anything else.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If the amp is infrequently used, you could get corrosion and/or dust and/or moisture buildup on the tube pins.

Often just working the tubes in and out - of course an electronic cleaner is a good idea.

Ditto the pots - sometimes rotating them through their travel several times will wipe dust off the tracks.

SnidelyWhiplash and Veltek like this.
  5. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Ill get the canned air and contact cleaner after it.

6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

That corrosion and age affects the power switch as well. I would look at that before the tubes.

Veltek likes this.
  7. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

The valves are run very hot in most Mesa's.
    They do fail so I would replace the output valves and see what happens.

Veltek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.