1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New tubes for 1958 Supro 1606

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Hendrixlvr, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Just ordered up some new tubes for my amp. It’s tube compliment is as follows:

12AX7
    5Y3GT
    6V6GT

just got Mullards for the 12AX7 and 6V6, because they’ve got pretty good reviews, but I had a harder time with the 5Y3. Originally I was going to get a Sovtek but then I read they run higher than “comfortable” voltage and may damage the amp, so after some rushed research I opted for the JJ5Y3s, which is supposed to be for replacement of 5Y3GT tubes.
    I know JJ’s don’t get much love but 5Y3 options are pretty limited if I don’t want to spend a fortune on NOS

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

In my experience, NOS 5y3 is one of the cheaper NOS tubes around. It's all I use in repairs and builds as it's so cheap I don't bother with new stuff.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Of course as soon as I say that, I check my usual supplier and they don't have any of the cheap ones I got in the past <sigh>

4. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You can get NOS 5Y3 tubes cheaper than the new stuff all day long. And they will last forever in that amp.

corliss1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.